Need a light to replace my EA4. Give me some reliable, durable AA options please

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title says it all. I love my EA4 but don't trust it anymore. The first one the switch cover melted when I was making a kydex holster fo it, I know that was my fault, battery junction and nitecore warranted it and sent me another one. Have had it since june or july and last night it quite working. My eneloops are at 1.46v a piece but the light only shows 4.7v and is stuck at a level of about 20 lumens. What do you all recommend to replace it? I like the D40A but the plastic buttons make question their longevity especially when exposed to automotive fluids. I like the gx25a3 but not sure if its worth the price, I have sx25l2t that I absolutely love though.

●My lights are actual working lights, not abused but they are a tool andget used as such. I want the best
●They do get dropped by accident (although its rare it does happen) and they get knocked over when used under vehicles
●They get gas, oil, and who knows what else on them. I clean them off after use but they need to handle automotive fluids and last.
●Be able to see a person up at least 100 yards but not so tight a beam it useles up close
●Has to have multiple modes (the EA4 has perfect mode spacing for me)
● Must run on AAs, and is around the size of the EA4.
●Basically I want a light like the EA4 but is more durable.
If you have any questions just ask.
●Please give any first hand experince you have with any of these lights as to reliability, durability, runtime, etc. etc
Thanks,
Tac

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title says it all. I love my EA4 but don't trust it anymore. The first one the switch cover melted when I was making a kydex holster fo it, I know that was my fault, battery junction and nitecore warranted it and sent me another one. Have had it since june or july and last night it quite working. My eneloops are at 1.46v a piece but the light only shows 4.7v and is stuck at a level of about 20 lumens. What do you all recommend to replace it? I like the D40A but the plastic buttons make question their longevity especially when exposed to automotive fluids. I like the gx25a3 but not sure if its worth the price, I have sx25l2t that I absolutely love though.

●My lights are actual working lights, not abused but they are a tool andget used as such. I want the best
●They do get dropped by accident (although its rare it does happen) and they get knocked over when used under vehicles
●They get gas, oil, and who knows what else on them. I clean them off after use but they need to handle automotive fluids and last.
●Be able to see a person up at least 100 yards but not so tight a beam it useles up close
●Has to have multiple modes (the EA4 has perfect mode spacing for me)
● Must run on AAs, and is around the size of the EA4.
●Basically I want a light like the EA4 but is more durable.
If you have any questions just ask.
Thanks,
Tac

I would give the Fenix LD41 a good look at,the more i use mine the more i find other uses because of its shape.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do like it pretty well, especially the new one but not sure about the size. I carry my my EA4 in a kydex belt holster so I don't want it to big

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
How durable are the D40A buttons? Will they withstand automotive fluids?

How well does the SRA40 charger work? Is it reliable? Can it wih stand real use and not just for show?

The F40A looks realy good, just not sure if the throw wil be enough, waitin on a review

Thanks for suggestions, keepimg them coming guys, they are makimg me think

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Tacgunner

In your country of residence what are the Tool Vans that call on the automotive trade carrying? Over here the 2 big ones are Snap On and Mac Tools and they still push Led Lenser and to be fair seem to stand up to automotive use.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snap on is the only one that is consitent and has stayed around conituosly. The others come and go. Snap on carries streamlight and maglites

UnderPar

Enlightened
You might want to check the specs of EagleTac GX25A3. It runs on 3xAAs and smaller than Nitecore's EA4. HTH

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris how well have the buttons held up on that D40A?

I do like the gx25ae, its a nice light.

Honestly, I'm not using that light everyday, since it's not really an EDC type deal, but the buttons, while a bit smallish, don't seem like they'll be a problem going forward.

I was set on the EA4 and read a few things and then asked here about medium throwers. The ET GX25A3 is a similar light, as is the EA4. There's also the JetBeam SRA40, which can recharge the cells, but I'm a battery geek and have plenty of chargers, so I didn't want to pay for that feature.

The SWM D40 is a well put together light and it's now my 4th SWM light that I have had. I did have a SWM V10R that stopped working on primaries a year in, but Battery Junction and SWM took care of me and ended up sending me the then new V11R, when they couldn't repair/replace the V10R, so that was nice customer service.

I think that the warranty is two years, but if you register the light online, you get an extra 6 months, for 30 months total, so I can live with things if a button were to go south on me.

I can't say how much of a 'light beam' difference there is between the EA4, SRA40, GX25A3, or the D40A, but it's a nice light, albeit a bit chunky for everyday carry.

Chris

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that Chris. I haven't resd of any switch issues with the D40A but I'm being careful on light selection after my rounds with the EA4. I'm leaning more towards the gx25a3 as it has the same UI as my SX25L2T. Anybody have experince with it?

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Thanks for that Chris. I haven't resd of any switch issues with the D40A but I'm being careful on light selection after my rounds with the EA4. I'm leaning more towards the gx25a3 as it has the same UI as my SX25L2T. Anybody have experince with it?

i don't recommend the gx25a3 because you have to loosen the head to change modes and the spacing between modes is a bit annoying

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the Sunwayman D40A because it uses a battery carrier. This both introduces a failure point and makes for difficult battery replacement in many situations (particularly while hiking on a dark trail). I would MUCH prefer the Jet Beam SRA40, since it uses a carrier free design similar to the EA4.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the Sunwayman D40A because it uses a battery carrier. This both introduces a failure point and makes for difficult battery replacement in many situations (particularly while hiking on a dark trail). I would MUCH prefer the Jet Beam SRA40, since it uses a carrier free design similar to the EA4.

It's actually a very well built carrier and I don't see it failing anytime soon. As to replacing the batteries in it, we have monkeys who can perform that task, so it's really no big deal.

Now, if you want to talk about a weak point in a light, how 'bout the recharging function on the SRA40?

Chris

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to replacing the batteries in it, we have monkeys who can perform that task, so it's really no big deal.

Now, if you want to talk about a weak point in a light, how 'bout the recharging function on the SRA40?

Chris

Let's see your monkeys replace those batteries in the total darkness of a moonless night in the High Sierra. Yes, it's possible to change those batteries under these sorts of conditions. But no, you would rather not have a light that MAKES you do it in these conditions. Not to mention that I have short fingernails, which is ALWAYS a liability when it comes to changing batteries in carriers.

As for the reliability of the charging system on the SRA40, I'm not sure how reliable it is. But I would not call it a failure point since its use is not essential to the function of the light. Batteries can be replaced and charged externally just like any other light. And I assume this is what most people will do.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see your monkeys replace those batteries in the total darkness of a moonless night in the High Sierra. Yes, it's possible to change those batteries under these sorts of conditions. But no, you would rather not have a light that MAKES you do it in these conditions. Not to mention that I have short fingernails, which is ALWAYS a liability when it comes to changing batteries in carriers.

As for the reliability of the charging system on the SRA40, I'm not sure how reliable it is. But I would not call it a failure point since its use is not essential to the function of the light. Batteries can be replaced and charged externally just like any other light. And I assume this is what most people will do.

I could easily change batteries in total darkness. The hardest part would be finding the batteries to charge up the carrier in the first place. There are two springs, facing each way, so one doesn't have to guess which way to drop the batteries in, since the carrier is actually in the palm of your hand.

The problem with self charging lights is that people get complacent and don't check voltages, because hey...the light's doing all of the work. Obviously, one will test things before going into danger, but that function is more likely, IMO, to go breasts up than the carrier. Plus, how good of a job is it doing charging up our expensive cells?

I find more of an issue with that aspect, than I do with battery carriers, especially the robustly put together D40A carrier. It's pretty much all metal, save for a PCB lining the inside of the metal end caps.

Chris

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as changing batteries on the D40A in the dark, all you have to do is feel the end of where the spring contact is and that is the negative side of the battery. I saw Marshall at Goinggear do a video review on this light and he put those batteries in so quick. Plus I think the direction of the battery carrier can be inserted in either direction. I'm not sure about that but I think I read it somewhere. Anyhow I have two D40A's on order.....one CW and one NW to see which one I like the best :).

Latest posts