Need a new scorpion hunting light

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the Convoy S2+ UV is rated at 3 watts in its specs making it just the same power as the CU-6 rated at 3000mW.

I believe you are mistaken, per:
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1133861#comment-1133861
LightRider said:
Convoy s2+ uses the nichia NCSU276AT 365 uv emitter. It is powered by 700ma and output at best is 800mW. And that is overdriven. So it is definitely not outputting 3000mW

please research and update your info with a reference to help me learn what is true. What is the correct power level of the Convoy?

ps, I found a photo of a Jetbeam UV on a US100, and it definitely is 365nm, I do not know the power level (pic links to source)

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
700ma is a different measure than 3000mw. You need both ma and voltage to get mw. 700ma at 4.2 volts (lithium ion) is conicentally 2940mw.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I think Ive got this 3000mw issue sorted out

here is a quote, link included, that says The Convoy S2 UV uses 3000mw of power to produce 1000mw of UV output

It uses a Nichia NCSU276A 365nm LED - one of the best, high-power UV LEDs on the market. The LED is driven hard at 700ma for 3 watts of total power. It has a radiant UV output of around 1000mw

I think this next quote says the Cu6 is a 3000mW power input with a 780mW UV output
I got the Convoy S2+its true 365nm with the original Nichia *3W->780mW emitter*

Conclusion, both the Cu6 and the Convoy use the same amount of power to produce the same amount of UV output. Corrections and further clarification welcome.

btw, there seems to be a multi mode Convoy UV available also

afaict, the Convoy is a very good choice in true 365nm UV powered by 18650

Next I hope someone goes scorpion hunting with the little AAA Jetbeam UV light, and shares their impressions :)

Jetbeam Jet-UV Review
31808806270_3f7acfde1f_c.jpg

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED is not 100% or even close to that efficient at converting the input power into 365nm UV light. There is actually quite a broad spectrum output and everything other than 365nm is not the output you are looking for so it detracts from the 3000mw. Ever notice that even the best uv flashlights theres some visible light? Well thats the non-UV radiant power you are looking at.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
365nm UV light.
agreed, the Cu6 and Convoy output 780-1000mw of UV, depending who is doing the math on the circuits, they both use 3000w mw input power from 18650 batteries.. iirc

can you help me figure out how much input power and how much UV output these other 365nm UV lights, produce:

1. AAA Jetbeam Jet-UV and the
2. AA Jaxman E3 UV and the
3. Mecarmy SGN3, produce?

same question for the non 365nm UV lights (the ones that cannot trigger the US $100 redline, but are fine for urine)
Nitecore Tube UV
Nitecore Mh27 UV

how much UV output?
thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
While searching for a UV flashlight, I found this thread a couple of weeks ago. I got a Jaxman U1 which came with a filter installed, and a Convoy S2+.

I don't have equipment to measure the radiant output, but just estimating I would say that the Convoy is 2 to 3 times more UV output. I measured the current drawn from the 18650 cell and both flashlights draw 700 mA.

Even without a filter the Convoy visible output isn't much. Also, the Jaxman had a tighter beam. I would say that for scorpion hunting (not my purpose for these lights) the Convoy would be quite a bit better.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I have the Convoy s2 and bought the UV filters from Banggood. Looks like I nerd some special tool to get the works out of the head so I can install the filter. Is that right? What's the best tool? And does the filter replace the existing glass?

Thanks.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I think I found what I need. An adjustable spanner wrench. Ordered one from. Amazon. Anything else I need to know?

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I used a thin bladed screw driver, alternating sides as I unscrewed the driver (?) to get to the lens. No special tool really needed. Yes, the filter replaced the existing glass.

Steve

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
both are 18650 lights
what do you think makes the Jaxman less than half as bright?

I did a little more testing. Looking into the Jaxman directly through some UV blocking plastic, a very dim red light is seen. I removed the UV filter from the Jaxman and compared the visible output of the Jaxman to the visible from the Convoy. The Jaxman has much more visible; it has a definite yellow cast. The visible from the Convoy is much less and is a weak whitish light.

I next installed the filter from the Jaxman on the Convoy. Looking directly into this, the Convoy with UV filter, through UV blocking plastic, there was no visible light apparent at all. The fluorescence induced in objects by the Convoy plus filter is much brighter than the Jaxman without filter, and without a UV filter the Jaxman's visible output is quite noticeable.

I think the UV LED in the Convoy is very much superior to the Jaxman's UV LED. The fluorescent strip on a U.S. 100 dollar bill is very bright when illuminated by the Convoy plus UV filter.

I have ordered a UV filter from Hong Kong which appears to be the same thing that was on the Jaxman. I'll mount it when it arrives and report the result.

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
I want to upload an image to the board, but I don't see a way to do that. Is it necessary to upload an image to a file hosting site, and then insert a link to the image file on that site rather than uploading to the board directly?

The Electrician

Newly Enlightened
OK. Here's the result of shining the Convoy plus UV filter on a $100 bill. The photo doesn't do it justice. The fluorescent strip is shining much more brilliantly in reality:

o7krp1.jpg

Edit: I don't see my image. I used the insert image function, but I don't see anything. I saved my image on "www.tinypic.com". Can a moderator tell me what's wrong?

Last edited:

scintillator

Enlightened
For me left click on bad image,then "open in new tab".
I think link should be this
o7krp1.jpg
which is the link for IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards.

Well that did not work at all,and now the image is gone.

Latest posts