Need a tight thrower for my boat!

Roadblock45

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten into night time fishing and my boat only has running lights and anchor lights. I was thinking about adding an adjustable spotlight but then I thought ehh would be nice to have something hand held I can use for other things too. I started to look at hand held spot lights and thought eh these are all TOO big for what you get.

So what I'm looking for now is something of a normal hand held LED based light that I can use from my boat and will throw a nice tight long distance beam.

Would be nice if it could be programable so I can have a dimmer mode for using it as a utility light on the boat but then also make it super bright for seeing the shore etc.

Most of my lights are currently AA, AAA and 123A. I've been using my Surefire Scoutlight off my AR-15 on my boat for a while now but I'd rather have something to just keep on the boat.

Not looking to spend hundreds. Would like to keep it sub-$100 if possible. Again most of my current lights are AA, AAA and or 123A but it doesn't to be any of those. Something I can get rechargeable for might be nice as long as I can get rechargeable that output enough to get me the brightest settings. My current lights are somewhat disappointing with rechargeable batteries.

Also it would be nice to be able to DROP it in the water and have it keep running so I can see to retrieve it!

Well as you can see, I have no idea what I need or want here!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've gotten into night time fishing and my boat only has running lights and anchor lights. I was thinking about adding an adjustable spotlight but then I thought ehh would be nice to have something hand held I can use for other things too. I started to look at hand held spot lights and thought eh these are all TOO big for what you get.

So what I'm looking for now is something of a normal hand held LED based light that I can use from my boat and will throw a nice tight long distance beam.

Would be nice if it could be programable so I can have a dimmer mode for using it as a utility light on the boat but then also make it super bright for seeing the shore etc.

Most of my lights are currently AA, AAA and 123A. I've been using my Surefire Scoutlight off my AR-15 on my boat for a while now but I'd rather have something to just keep on the boat.

Not looking to spend hundreds. Would like to keep it sub-$100 if possible. Again most of my current lights are AA, AAA and or 123A but it doesn't to be any of those. Something I can get rechargeable for might be nice as long as I can get rechargeable that output enough to get me the brightest settings. My current lights are somewhat disappointing with rechargeable batteries.

Also it would be nice to be able to DROP it in the water and have it keep running so I can see to retrieve it!

Well as you can see, I have no idea what I need or want here!

Well, what is really needed to make any sort of recommendation, is how far you wanted to be able to see what, with your thrower.

It takes less performance to see something white, reflective, etc, than a tarred wooden dock or a rock or stump in the water, a guy in dark clothing, etc.

So, there are LED lights with a range of over a mile, and one's that have a range of a few meters and everything in between...and we don't know how far is far "enough" to work, for you.

You asked about if rechargeables that have enough output to get the brightest settings, and, ironically, most lights can be several TIMES brighter on li-ion rechargeable cells than they could be on alkalines, etc. YOUR rechargeable batteries are probably not the li-ions that we'd recommend, if you are seeing them as weaker.

So, to start the process, can you give some examples of how far away would you like to be able to see what?

:D

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local boat shop only sells Fenix,not the full range but enough to satisfy the demands of any boat enthusiast.I also suggest you add an inflatable key ring that will take the weight of your intended light as on water things happen as you will probably have known in the past.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with TEEJ, but have a couple suggestions as starters. Streamlight makes the SuperTac X, a nice little 2 CR123a light that has a low of 10 lumens and a high of 200. On high the rated throw is 400 meters, which as we all know is not realistic, but it does make a nice comparison number. I don't know if it is able to take an 18650 or RCR123s. The big drawback for you would be that it is only rated IPX-4, so you can get it wet, but don't drop it in the water.
Even better would be the Nitecore EA4, EA41, or EA8, all of which are rated at !PX-8. They won't float, so I would recommend a laynard of some sort. They are all AA, and can take alkaline, lithium primary, or NiMH (recommended). They are rated at 300 meters (EA4s) and 490 meters (EA8). I think the EA41 would be very good for your situation, since it has a Low of 1 lumen, which would be good for doing things in the boat without blasting your night vision. It will fit into a toilet paper tube, and comes with a nice belt holster. I would keep it in the holster, with a laynard long enough to clip to my belt or go around my neck, so as to not encumber my wrist. That way if you suddenly needed both hands free, you could just drop it and know that you could easily pick it up again without having t search for it or worry about it going overboard.
There are a lot of other good lights out there, and I'm sure our fellow flashaholics will recommend them to you. Pick one that sounds right and enjoy.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me recommend a 4 x AA light using Eneloop rechargeable batteries.........the Sunwayman D40A. They call it a "compact thrower" If wanting something that will hit some distance you need a bigger deeper reflector. For the size, the D40A has a pretty deep reflector. The XM-L2 is more of a floody LED but if utilized in a deeper reflector, then you can get some throw along with the brightness. It also has a very low mode like you are looking for.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Agree with the EA4(EA41) , EA8, and Sunwayman D40a, great choices. Just wanted to tell you about what a diffuser lens can do for these lights. A diffuser lens will turn a light into a wide floody beam. I know when I am on a boat at night, sometimes I want to see right in front of me, in a wide area. The diffuser pops on and off, like a lens cover. Both the EA4 and D40a are the same size, so you can get the Nitecore NFD40 diffuser for either light. I think I got the NFD40 for about $10, so it's inexpensive.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Check out this ad for a SR52vn with PDTc for $125. I have several SR52vns and they are awesome. This compact light makes a great car/boat light as it has approximately 1200 lumens of output, throws like crazy and conveniently charges via its built in usb charger. It can even be charged from any 12v cigerette car lighter. I also have bought from this seller and know him to be honest and fair. I have one in each of my vehicles. Read the reviews about this light. It is a must have. Mike

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?316422-WTS-TK75vn-and-SR52vn-both-in-excellent-cond