need advice on a new knife

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
Get a CQC 7 Tanto, serrated, black T coating. Out of your price range but then again it fits your description to a T.

I personally like tantos too. Good for scraping, piercing, and prying (if you really need to with a knife, not the best tool for prying mind you).

You can also try the emerson cqc mini 7. I also like the Strider GB but then again that would be almost 6 times the price you want.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You cannot go wrong with a Benchmade, although it may be a little higher than your budget, you'll get over it quickly once you get used to having a knife with you that never makes you wish you'd bought something nicer in the first place.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
If you use your folder for camping purposes I suggest you try a broader blade folder and a lockback.

My choice would be the Boker M type or the Boker Trance. Both are frame lock knives which are a little more studier that the linerlocks, IMO, and has broader blades. The lockback knives has the toughest lock, great for camping abuse, you won't go wrong with the Buck line of folding knives.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco Endura, Military or Para-military would be my first choices of folders in the 3-4" range with partial serrations.

The Military would be best, but the Endura is cheaper.

If you want an extremly strong folder go for a Spyderco Manix, mini Manix or D'allara.

Sverre

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My favorite production knives period are the Benchmade models with Axis locks.

I have a 705 and 710 which for very good reasons have a strong and loyal following, as do my absolute favorites, the Presidio 525 and 520 folders.

Lots of suggested knives and I hope you'll take the time to at least look at all the ones suggested here, then let us know which ones you bought!

Kraid

Enlightened

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this. That 3 oz won't matter when carrying. Thats an extra 3 oz of ROBUSTNESS. And the axis lock makes the knife as strong as any fixed blade.

Axis is a strong locking mechanism, but no locking blade will ever be as strong as a fixed blade.

schiesz

Latest posts