Need fast help on picking a motorcycle

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I may be homeless for a few months which is fine it's so easy in summer I have a nice tent and flashlights lol. But I am not going to be with out transportation lol car is out due to insurance being 10x as much as a motorcycle lol.. ok I'm a simple guy I don't care about looks or flash but I want the bike to be bullet proof avlso needs to cruise at highway speeds for hours on end. I won't buy used here in my area they think there used bikes are gold . I laugh and laugh when they ask almost what the bike is new lol. I'm a small guy so I think a 500 cc bike and above will be ok. But I'm looking at the Honda rebel 1100

3_gun

Enlightened
Suzuki GS500 is a great in town bike that handles highways just fine & can get about 60 mpg if you can control yourself. Nothing flashy, very much in the style of a "standard" as the were once called & not big enough {999cc+] to take a hit from the insurance costs. Great shape used around here would be in the $1200 range. Only downside is once you hit around 5'9 &/or 190lbs you might need a bit more size in the frame

Poppy

Flashaholic
Being homeless on a motorcycle with a tent is not my idea of fun.

Have you looked at the price of campsites? I think they are at least $30 a night. That's $900 a month. I looked at only one state park in Georgia, and it's primitive sites, ie without electricity were $75 a night. That's $2,250 a month. You typically can't stay at a site for a month, and there is limited availability when everyone else is looking to camp.

Instead of trying to save a few dollars on gasoline with a motorcycle, I suspect you would save more money with a van that you can sleep in, in rest areas, for free.

I really didn't want to enter this conversation, but I wish you luck.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
6795B89F-C56C-439F-8A4B-1F7FD2F75A20.jpeg

No need for a tent

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Well I value all your opinions now looking at 14 acres with a small RV on it the ones you pull behind a truck this is in Arizona way way off the main road. So I need a motorcycle that can do highway and off road

fuyume

Enlightened
Suzuki GS500 is a great in town bike that handles highways just fine & can get about 60 mpg if you can control yourself. Nothing flashy, very much in the style of a "standard" as the were once called & not big enough {999cc+] to take a hit from the insurance costs. Great shape used around here would be in the $1200 range. Only downside is once you hit around 5'9 &/or 190lbs you might need a bit more size in the frame
That, or a Kawasaki EX500. Made for so many years, and great bikes. or any of the other bikes in that category, mid-displacement twins are the ideal motorcycles, to me, especially parallel twins. I really miss my EX500.

New, I'd want a Royal Enfield Continental GT650.

fuyume

Enlightened
Well I value all your opinions now looking at 14 acres with a small RV on it the ones you pull behind a truck this is in Arizona way way off the main road. So I need a motorcycle that can do highway and off road
Highway and off-road, the king is the Kawasaki KLR650, and always has been.

fuyume

Enlightened
I'm a small guy so I think a 500 cc bike and above will be ok.
I'm a big girl (a little over 6 feet tall), and my EX500 would do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and top out around 125-130 mph with 150 lb of me on it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some females get suppressed when asked such questions and disappointed with the follow up man-jibes. I'd rather hear about their experiences without them feeling sexed and clamming up.

We could use more variety here in relating experiences and knowledge. (Though the same thought came into my mind what knuckle Harley wrote)