Need help deciding on light for a patrol carbine used in an urban environment

silviacrazed

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, I need help deciding on a light for a patrol carbine. I currently work as an LEO for a major city. I work morning watch (10pm-8am) and will be on this watch until I decide I want to transfer (no rotating watches). I am looking for a light to mount to my carbine. I've played with the idea of buying at TLR-1 or an X300 and purchasing the tape switch for either. I've also looked at other lights (Scout M600U, Elzetta) , but I figured I'd come here for some recommendations by individuals who know more about lights than I do. I use a Streamlight Stinger DS LED for my main light and a Streamlight ProTac HL as a backup. I've thought about mounting the ProTac HL, but there's no option for a tape switch (if anyone knows another brand that will fit, let me know and I'll just use it). I've decided to fill out the questionnaire, so here it goes.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Somewhere in the 100-200 range preferably (can go up a little, but looking to keep it economical).

3) Format:

I want a mounted light (for carbine)

4) Size:

SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
or
I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a “host” or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a “drop-in” emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
(Light will be used in a wide variety of areas. Could be used inside of houses, inside of large high schools, large apartment complexes or in open parks.)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
or

Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

Hall ways to open spaces (~100m, I know I'll have to concede in some areas, just giving a rough idea of what I'll see distance wise)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical (Police).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Other, please specify: TAPE SWITCH.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I don’t care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance

IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions

__X__Automobile trunk (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

dss_777

Enlightened
Great question! Every work rifle should have a light, IMO.

However, the best source of relevant information on this subject is at lightfighter.net

I'd highly recomned that you read through the recent threads in their AAR section on low-light/no-light/shoot-house courses, and proceed from there.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your work gun have a railed handguard? If you have plastic handguards, you'll need to purchase a Magpul MOE rail to be mounted at 12:00 on your handguards to accept the VTAC mount.

I'd suggest a Surefire EAG Fury from Bravo Company USA (they are the exclusive supplier of the EAG model which is rated for weapons mounted use). Pick up a VTAC offset light mount from BCM as well.

Surefire EAG Fury ~$120
VTAC mount ~$25
MOE rail section ~$10

This is an excellent setup that will push 500+ lumens, throw very well, and will retain the peripheral illumination/spill needed for situational awareness.

silviacrazed

Newly Enlightened
Does your work gun have a railed handguard? If you have plastic handguards, you'll need to purchase a Magpul MOE rail to be mounted at 12:00 on your handguards to accept the VTAC mount.

I'd suggest a Surefire EAG Fury from Bravo Company USA (they are the exclusive supplier of the EAG model which is rated for weapons mounted use). Pick up a VTAC offset light mount from BCM as well.

Surefire EAG Fury ~$120
VTAC mount ~$25
MOE rail section ~$10

This is an excellent setup that will push 500+ lumens, throw very well, and will retain the peripheral illumination/spill needed for situational awareness.

I'm running a Noveske NSR handguard. I've been considering doing a P2X in a keymod mount with a tape switch. I've skimmed over the EAG models before, just never looked at the thoroughly. I definitely appreciate the suggestion!

Side note, does anyone have a P2X and an Elzetta Bravo AVS? I've been looking for side by side comparisons and haven't found a ton. I did find some pictures of the beam pattern pictures and the P2X seems favorable, but I'd like someone's accounts of using both.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
The Elzetta AVS head provides a beam pattern that is very different than what is created by a light using a traditional reflector. There is a small center spot of intense light that is surrounded by an area of bright light, which is surrounded by spill (which is quite a bit dimmer than reflectors provide) which gradually fades out to no output at extreme off axis. 880arm has reviews of the AVS Bravo and Charlie up on the www.flashlightguide.com website, with a comparison of the Elzetta vs Surefire P2ZX and Fury lights. The LED assembly I've got that is closest to that of a P2X is the Malkoff M61.

One thing to consider with the Elzetta tapeswitch is that there isn't a separate button that can be used in case the tapeswitch fails or the cable is damaged. I presume the P2X can be used with the Surefire XM tailcap, which has the port for the tapeswitch and a separate switch that is always usable (as long as the light is mounted in an accessible location).

I really like my Elzettas with AVS heads, but I doubt I will ever weapon mount them. I'm happy using Surefire 6Ps with Malkoff M61s for that purpose.