Need help finding small side-switch light

vice55

Newly Enlightened
I spent about a week pouring over the forums, but didn't find any solid leads. So I figured I'd just come out and ask.

I'm looking for a small light with a side-switch to use when I walk home from work at night in Philly.

Wish list:
- side switch (this is a must)
- forward clicky (although I'd settle for reverse clicky if I really, really had to)
- 120 lumens or more
- aluminum reflector, glass lens
- about 3" - 5" long
- 1" wide give or take
- runtime: 30 minutes on high or more
- multi modes not required but ok

In anything but a side switch light I think these would be very vanilla specs. It's just that there aren't many side switches out there, that I've seen anyway.

Thanks!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI Photon Proton PRO comes to mind for side switches. Check it out here.
It's got a low Red if you don't mind that. I have no experience with it. It's just the only side switch I can recall.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent about a week pouring over the forums, but didn't find any solid leads. So I figured I'd just come out and ask.

I'm looking for a small light with a side-switch to use when I walk home from work at night in Philly.

Wish list:
- side switch (this is a must)
- forward clicky (although I'd settle for reverse clicky if I really, really had to)
- 120 lumens or more
- aluminum reflector, glass lens
- about 3" - 5" long
- 1" wide give or take
- runtime: 30 minutes on high or more
- multi modes not required but ok

In anything but a side switch light I think these would be very vanilla specs. It's just that there aren't many side switches out there, that I've seen anyway.

Thanks!

vice55 Welcome to CPF :welcome:

You haven't mentioned batteries that you are looking forward to use.

Assuming AA and CR123 batteries, you have two options, As already mentioned LRI Proton Pro and there is CPF Special 16 level light from Wit's End. Checkout CPF market place for a good deal on CPFSpecial light.

PS: Oh... I almost forgot.... Hide your wallet... or ... :broke: :nana:

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
The Ultrafire FMR1 (Deal Extreme SKU 3786, $23.24 shipped) is about 3.5" long and 1" wide, takes CR123 cells (including rechargeables), uses a Rebel 100 LED with the best tint and beam pattern of any light I have seen regardless of price, and allegedly puts out 200 lumens for 3 hours. That last bit is obviously crap, but I would say it does output at least 120 lumens for about half an hour on high. A minus is that it has a reverse side clicky and five modes, and perhaps also that it's a "cheap" brand, but its build quality isn't bad, especially for the price.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not 120 lumens and not a glass lens/ alum reflector afaik... the Proton Pro is a sweet light.

Not many other small side switches out there. DX ones, and stuff thats more into the 7-10" long category like an Inova T5. Oh, Wolf Eyes makes good stuff too.

vice55

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a TrustFire TR-802 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13096) and a TrustFire TR-803 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13097) (one for me, one for my gf). When I tried them out, I realized how awkward it is to try to use the tailcap switch with one hand. So now I'm on a quest for replacements with a side-switch.

I paid about $25 each for the ones I have now, but I'm not too concerned about price as long as we're not talking hundreds of dollars.

I actually considered the Ultrafire FMR1, but the reviews on this site are very mixed.

The Proton Pro looks very promising. I'll have to dig deeper into that one. It would be great if I could squeeze a Cree Q5 in there.

And yeah, for batteries I'm trying to stick with AA and CR123-sized Li-ion batteries.

Are there any modders here who someone could recommend to take a small side-click light and put a Q5 in there? Or possibly build something small?

Thanks everyone.

arty

Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Tasklight 2L that will do what you want.
There are also some Nuwai 5W lights that do this - the 352L and a 3W version.
The problem with the 352 is that the switch is too light - lighter than a Glock!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, vice55. I believe the Proton Pro already has the Cree Q2 (?). With a little skill, which I don't have, it probably wouldn't be too much trouble to put a Q5 in it. I think you'd like just the way it is, although the beam could be smoother.

Geoff

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Here's some side clicky lights at DX:
Hugsby R1 Cree LED Flashlight (3xAAA)
Romisen RC-X5 Cree P4 150-Lumen LED Flashlight with Extension Tube (1*CR123A/2*AA)
Romisen RC-R4 Cree P4 LED Flashlight Silver (3V~8V Input) (2xCR123)
Ugsby D3 Cree P4 LED Flashlight with Glass Lens Aluminum Reflector (3*C)
"POLICE" 3W SSC 42180-U 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (3*C)
ROMISEN RC-P3 CREE Side Switch 1-Mode LED Flashlight (2xAA)

eBay dealer ledwholesalers has 3 side clicky lights:
Seoul SSC LED P4 5 Watt 180 Lumen spot Flashlight (3xD)
RECHARGEABLE SEOUL SSC P4 LED Z-POWER FLASHLIGHT TORCH (18650)
Brightest LED Flashlight 5 Watt KLC8 250 Lumen Torch (2xCR123)

I didn't link to those since they are auctions and the links won't last long. Just do a seller search for ledwholesalers and you can see them. The last one, the KLC8, is a really nice looking design.

Some of the above lights are available in gray or black.

I have not yet tried any of these lights, but the one I'm most likely to order is the Rominsen RC-X5. I like being able to run CR123 or AA batteries and I'm hoping it won't be hard to replace the LEDs with Q5s.

I do have three Nuwai side clicky lights from Batteryjunction.com. I really like them except for the three mode user interface. First click=high, second click=medium, third click=low, fourth click=off. I just want to turn the light on and off, but have to press the stupid button 4 times every time I use it.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

These might not be bright enough for you.

I own this one:

Chromed brass .5 Watt Pocket sized LED keychain (1 AAA)
http://store.advancedmart.com/chbr5waposil2.html

The side switch is very handy. Nice little light.

Nuwai .5 Watt Pocket sized LED Flashlight High/Low power modes (1 AA)
http://store.advancedmart.com/nu5waposiled2.html

It isn't that usual to find the side switch but there are a few such lights around. Check out other lights on the Advanced Mart site.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Welcome!

I know that it doesn't fit a few of your specs but I agree with whoever recommended the Photon Proton Pro. It isn't a forward clicky but it does have a momentary mode (but only for like 3 seconds) if you want to signal. The UI is so good, however, (the best in the business IMO) that it makes these just a joy to use. I'd like for them to get rid of the red led for low but it still works pretty well as-is. If you're a modder I just read somewhere that it's possible to swap out the 3mm red led for a 3mm white.
That's the only small side-button light that I have any experience with..........

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UF FMR1 Rebel is one of my favorite lights in the less expensive DX type lights. I've had NO problems with it and I own a couple. It's really one of the nicer lights I have and I've got a bunch including Mr. Bulks side switching Dragonheart. Of course nothing tops the Dragonheart in quality, user interface and brightness. They however are a big hard to come by and not cheap.