Need help identifying SF L-1

Theo

Newly Enlightened
I have an L1 that is (supposedly) the previous generation. I love it; it's my perfect EDC. But it seems to have some characteristics of the newest generation: it has a slightly scalloped bezel, but it has a flat-fronted lens, that is the front part of a 2-piece optic system (I took it apart to see).

I'd like to have a newest generation as well, but before I buy, I want to make sure this is not what I already have.

Don't the newest L-1s have a domed front lens? Is their beam pattern tighter that the previous generation? I understand that there is a 3 watt led instead of a 1 watt. How does this affect the output?

Thanks

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that it works like this:

round bezel/flat glass -> scalloped bezel/flat glass -> scalloped/domed glass

These have 4 flats on the body. Apparently the newest Surefires have 3 curved surfaces instead of 4 flats. Dunno if that will extend to the L1s.

I have read that the dome-glass generation has around twice the output of the flat-glass generation. I olny have the flat-glass version, so can't make a comparison.

Scott

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours isn't the current version. The newest one is supposed to have a beam like the latest KL1 head and perhaps somewhat higher (at least appearing) output. I have one similar to yours, and for my money, I prefer the beam instead of the tighter KL1. IMHO, our version of the L1 is one of flashaholisms best kept secrets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cia

Newly Enlightened
Photo of the newest L1.
scalloped/domed glass 3 watt. Very white and bright.

Great little light.

0442b8ec-2d61-4ccc-9e06-c50557fa582d.jpg

cia

Newly Enlightened
My L1 box had old info on it too.

What do you think of your new L1?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
My L1 box had old info on it too.

What do you think of your new L1?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like it, my first Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The low is a little brighter than my Ultra. With better throw, less spill.
The High brighter than my Arc LS and much better defined throw. Now I have to decide what I'll EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
I only wish it were a little smaller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
But nothing is perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif