Need help with SF turboheads

JanCPF

Enlightened
I have a C2 with a P90 LA that I run with 2xR123 and it works fine. Throw is pretty good, however I've found that I need even more throw on this flashlight. What are my options if I still want to run with 2x rechargables. KT1+MN15 should AFAIK be okay but how about KT2? Isn't that one sold with a 9 volt lamp that I can run in my C2 with 2xR123? But will it fit my C2?

Jan

Topper

Flashaholic*
KT-1 and KT2 are same thing I think its just the lamps installed are different N1 6volt N2 9volt.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KT1/KT2 are the same, as Topper has said, they just come prepackaged with different lamps. If you buy the KT2 you get the N2 lamp as part of the deal, ready to run on your R123s. I bought a KT1 because I couldn't get the KT2.

Complete C-series Turbohead kits run around ~$100.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Thanks all.
Kevin, Do you have the N2 LA in your KT1? How do you like the setup? Does it increase the throw of the C2-P90 very significantly? I know, I know - It's not going to throw like a USL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Thanks.

Jan

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KT1 got put out of a job by the Mag85 et. al, but yes, it does deliver. Actually I'm tempted by the M3, just that I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif yet again thanks to the gadgets that the lights made me buy... so I will have to pass on that.

While I had my KT1, I used the MN15 lamp. My review is here. Couldn't get the N2, unfortunately. Some have said they prefer the perfectly round beam of the N2 as opposed to the oval shape of the MN15, personally, after having worked with so many strange high-power bulbs, I am not too disturbed by oval beams as long as the light is there. My Mag85 has a huge lobe to one side, the Roar of the Pelican is ovalish and has a little bit of filament shadow, but their sheer light output makes up for it.

Read my review for conclusions on throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Surprisingly the USL is more of a flood thanks to the axial filament. If it does throw, it does so by the virtue of sheer lumens. Either way I ain't complainin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
Oohh - great review and nice pics! Feel free to send that poor little KT1 fella that is currently out of a job my way so that I can put it to good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Seriously though if you're looking to sell, I could take it of your hands at the right price. Thanks in any case.

Jan

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where were you when I was selling it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sad to say it moved on a while ago.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and didn't get me as much as I hoped it would be, no demand for it. However, I'm sure the usual guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif (John) can find one for you..

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
While I had my KT1......

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry - need glasses I'm afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
yep I'll try jcciv for that KT2.

Jan

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
Has anyone tried to put a KT-1 on a Surefire G2? Would it overheat?
-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,

Though I haven't tried it, I think the KT housing and head would absorb plenty of heat to protect the G2 nitrolon body. That sucker is a rather big chunk of aluminum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, for kicks and giggles but I never ran it for more than five minutes...
Frankely, I don't see how heat can affect the nitrolon body.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KT1 and KT2 are fine on Nitrolon bodies in my experience (not used 'em much though)

SureFire%20G2-KT1%20&%20others%2064.jpg

SureFire%20G2-old%20A19-KT2%2064.jpg

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have not had a problem using a KT, SRTH or T3" on G2 bodies I like the "feel" of the G2 better than other stuff anyway. If you have the NA14 adapter and a cell spacer 1/2 a 123 you can make a "G3 Turbo" 3 123s and the T head of your choice with the N2 lamp is great fun.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif