Need Help : Wnat to MOD Car HID for bike.

nizesa

Newly Enlightened
Tested the HID with 4 x 18650 and it lit up. I guess next is to find out the run time... too lazy for that now.

artec540

Enlightened
Hi guys, just thinking of starting this project, I have two 6000k H1 lamp and ballast not being used and thinking of modding it (just for fun) to be fitted on my mtb. I'm wondering what kind of power source should I consider, a car battery is definitely out because of the size, I'm wondering if 4x 18650 would be able to run it. Tried 4 x 16340 and it didn't work. The bulb and ballast are tested to work with my spare 12v car battery. Also, they're 35W.

Try a small 12 v motor-cycle battery?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Tested the HID with 4 x 18650 and it lit up. I guess next is to find out the run time... too lazy for that now.

Did you happen to find out what the input voltage of the ballast is? The more I thought about it the more I think it could be an 11.1V input for that type of light.

Anyhow, this pack will provide around 3.5 hours of light to a 30W HID.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2814

Same thing without charger and bottle set up.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2221

I always take along at least 30% more run-time than I should need on a planned ride, with regards to my primary light.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello nizesa

Good luck with the build and let us know how it works out. There are a couple of suggestions I would make.

1) Make sure the cells are well matched. This is essential with any battery pack but especially li-ion due to the safety concerns. If you can't do your own matching then go for the batterystation packs as they should already be matched. A balancing charger solution would be ideal as Steve6690 has done but the pack needs to be wired for this.

2) The HID ballast and bulb should be well waterproofed as they can give you a nasty electric shock.