Need New EDC 18650 Light

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Work Around For Lockout?

That would work alright. But, I'm looking for something that doesn't require taking the light apart every time I want to use it. I am trying to prevent inadvertent activation in a pocket.

In this case, you might have to rethink the carry. I've had lights without lockout go accidental on even in a holster. Tail switches in a holster seem less likely to do it than a side switch anywhere else.

It takes a bit of head scratching to figure out what's right for your style.

Example: My ZL SC52d has a lockout and a side switch. Even so, I'd rather just draw and pop it on. So, I figured out by clipping it to the inside of my belt such that switch was towards body and light was between belt and pants that I never had an accidental on again. It also has the added benefit of dramatically reducing instances of banging it on a stationary object as I walk by.

I stopped locking out my SC52d through figuring out a better carry.

Example: I've read reports of people having issues with accidental on in the Nitecore Tube. I fixed this for me by carrying it clipped to a belt carabiner hanging outside front pants pocket, rhs. If in my work, I had to lay flat on my stomach... this plain wouldn't work. However, I just reach down and flip it up and on. It's far faster than fishing around in a pocket any way you slice it.

Works for me, might not work for you. Side switches are usually my worst offenders in "accidental on."

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened

It sounds to me that if you like you H600, you would like the Sc62. I have a H52w that I liked so much that I got an H600w original model. I carried it for a while as an EDC because it is so small and I loved it. Then I got an H600fw Mark II and was so impressed, I was longing for them to make a SC version. Carried an SC52w for a while but it lacked the long run times of an 18650 light. I also carried, and still like, the D25LC2 clicky and thought it would do For a small 18650 edc light and it does great. When the SC62w was introduced, I had to have one and have been carrying it everywhere for a few months. I LOVE IT! It makes D25LC2 clicky look big. I obviously like the Zebralight UI and the sheer amount of light that comes out of a light that small is impressive. The PID feature is great too. You can barely tell when it is dimming as it heats up. The run times are amazing at some very useful levels. It's easy to lock out though I haven't felt the need to do it like some of the older Zebralights. Over all, I don't see myself buying another EDC light for quite a while. It's perfect for me.

texastactical

Newly Enlightened

It sounds to me that if you like you H600, you would like the Sc62. I have a H52w that I liked so much that I got an H600w original model. I carried it for a while as an EDC because it is so small and I loved it. Then I got an H600fw Mark II and was so impressed, I was longing for them to make a SC version. Carried an SC52w for a while but it lacked the long run times of an 18650 light. I also carried, and still like, the D25LC2 clicky and thought it would do For a small 18650 edc light and it does great. When the SC62w was introduced, I had to have one and have been carrying it everywhere for a few months. I LOVE IT! It makes D25LC2 clicky look big. I obviously like the Zebralight UI and the sheer amount of light that comes out of a light that small is impressive. The PID feature is great too. You can barely tell when it is dimming as it heats up. The run times are amazing at some very useful levels. It's easy to lock out though I haven't felt the need to do it like some of the older Zebralights. Over all, I don't see myself buying another EDC light for quite a while. It's perfect for me.

I looked really hard at the SC62. It is a great size, and I love the output and UI. Unfortunately it has no way to be carried bezel up and no lanyard attachment point. This is a lot harder than I had envisioned. :(

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

SC600IIL2 has a lanyard ring and bezel up is all in how you clip it to your belt.

I don't like the clip as much as the SC52 (AAx1), seems weaker on the SC600 (18650x1.)

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
I liked having the ano tailcaps since, in the case of a clicky failure, it would be easy to turn a Quark into a twisty light, but I never considered locking this light out for accidental activation - the reverse clickies are well protected with the shroud, and the forward clickies have a heavy spring. It's one of the least likely to accidentally activate of all the lights that I own. (Course there is no parasitic drain with mechanical clickies either.)

The tactical forward clicky is the only thing I could imagine being at risk due to the protruding button, but I could only imagine momentary accidental activation. You could also leave it loose bezel on a moonlight or low - it'll take a long time to drain a batt. Then there's always the Turbo's shrouded forward clicky, but it a mm or 2 wider than the regulars.

Sort of a bummer that the SF lawsuit killed the ano tailcaps, but it's much worse that it has now killed the entire line :(.

When I don't use the lockout on my Quark I find it has turned on inadvertently on a semi regular basis. Agreed on the lawsuit and its fallout. I assume they tried a compromise like maybe a royalty for each flashlight sold.

texastactical

Newly Enlightened

SC600IIL2 has a lanyard ring and bezel up is all in how you clip it to your belt.

I don't like the clip as much as the SC52 (AAx1), seems weaker on the SC600 (18650x1.)

The 30mm head is what kills the Sc600 for me.

Agree on the clip, I am not a big fan of a slip on clip on a $100 piece of equipment. One of the reasons I like a lanyard is to prevent loss out of the pocket in the event of a clip failure.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 30mm head is what kills the Sc600 for me.

Agree on the clip, I am not a big fan of a slip on clip on a $100 piece of equipment. One of the reasons I like a lanyard it to prevent loss out of the pocket in the event of a clip failure.

Check out Julian's bicycle spoke clip, post #196
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...raLight-Mods/page7&highlight=zebra+light+mods

Also, you can slip on a section of bicycle inner tube around the clamp but between the main arc of the clip and body. Can't dig a link for you right now, but you get what I'm saying. It reinforces and prevents pop-off.

The weird thing about the SC600 is you can look at the measurements, but when I hold mine it doesn't feel that big. Strange how it feels.

Edit:
It might have been something you wrote about the DQG that turned me off of it initially.

"Search engine" for the 18650 "Bullet Shell" light. It's the absolute smallest 18650 light I'm aware of. 62mmx18mm.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Posts containg Links have been Removed, Please see the banner at the top of the page - Norm