Need nimh AA's to replace 2 alkie D cells

ogglebog

Newly Enlightened
We are using kerosene for 100% of our heating needs. The fuel pumps we use operate on 2-D cells. I would like to use all my 2500mah energizer nimh batts and AA smart charger instead of buying D-cells. Questions:
1) How many AA's should I bank up parallel to equal or exceed the capacity of a single duracell alkaline D? 2,3,4?
2) And do adaptors exist for this purpose, or are all the adaptors wired up in series for higher voltage needs?

Thanks guys

paulr

Flashaholic
There are adapters that hold 3 or 4 aa's in parallel to replace a D, but the most common ones use just one AA. Those should work ok if you don't mind having to swap the batteries out more often. Or you could just get some NiMH D cells and a charger for them.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
ogglebog said:
1) How many AA's should I bank up parallel to equal or exceed the capacity of a single duracell alkaline D? 2,3,4?

Depends on the draw of your pump. At really low currents, an Alkaline D is rated at around 18,000mah I think. I'm guessing your pump uses at least an amp or two, in which case alkaline Ds are only good for around 3,000mah. So, 3 2500 mah AAs would greatly exceed the runtime of the alkaline Ds. The 3-to-D adapters are the most common...I can't remember who sells them but I'm sure somebody else will know.

ogglebog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I've measured the pump current: 1.4A with fresh alkaline D's.
So it looks like the simple (and cheap) single AA to D adaptor tubes should work well, only losing a few mah, but so much cheaper and easier to recharge than continuing to replace the D's.