Need quality headlight for mountain bike - suggestions welcomed

Wurkkos

tomp

Hi...It is very hot in Texas and I am riding on some trails in dark due to the heat. I am looking for LED headlight only that will mount to the handlebars. I don't need anything expensive or fancy, just something with wide beam, decent throw and a very good price. Thanks in advance!

BrianMc

..something with wide beam, decent throw and a very good price. Thanks in advance!

Wide beam and throw are mostly objective. 'Very good price' relates to power (throw) and brightness which you did not specify, and wallet thickness. People buy expensive system thinking they are 'a very good price' given the features and output. You also did not indicate how long you need the light to run. Another big factor. Reliability and warranty coverage is another. So you may get few suggestoins until people have a better idea of what you need and where your price trigger is.

The Princeton suggested is 70 lumens. I had a tight 10 degree 90 lumen light and could barely ride a road with it let alone a trail. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I think 300 lumens min (the old halogen standard) and preferably 600-1000. But its your $$ and your face.

Trying to help, but ...

Brian

Last edited:

Szemhazai

BrianMc we have to define what means "very good price" for the bike light for trails riding in Texas when the bike can cost $3k-4k :)

Ie. MJ-872 will do the job, cheap and a lots of flood light :lovecpf

Be-Seen Triker

Depending on brightness levels desired, I would recommend any light with an XM-L emitter. These emitters have 2 advantages; they run at a fairly consistent brightness throughout battery life even with a single 18650 battery and second, most lights with this emitter exhibit very usable spill for cycling. If you need longer runtimes, you might wish to go with detached battery pack where more power will extend your runtime.
I find that XM-L emitters run at ~1.4A put out plenty of light for my night time cycling needs. The heat generated by my flashlights is quite manageable given sufficient surface area.

a1penguin

MTBR will have lots of recommendations for mountain bike lighting. There are some advocates of torches, but a lot of recommendations for multiple lights in the 2000-3000 lumens range.