Need reading (flash)light for visually impaired

scs_in_nj

Newly Enlightened
My 94-yr-old aunt in a nursing home wants a handheld or close-range reading (flash)light. She has macular degeneration, is legally blind and only sees out of one eye. She wants to read a book at night and needs better illumination than provided by overhead fluorescents and side task lamp. She does almost everything from bed and just has a cart table to put things on. She asked me to get her a 4D flashlight lantern, but I thought that could be rather cumbersome to hold or use for any length of time. Any ideas?? I understand that with macular degeneration, contrast is important. I'm a newbie here but have searched thru the posts and did not find an answer for a comparable situation. Price is a consideration - Max $40? Durability, ease of use, perhaps easily obtained batteries also considerations. Things get moved around on her cart a lot and things can fall... Thanks...

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 2 AA lights I can suggest. Get her a pack of Energizer Lithium primaries - better capacity and they won't leak.

The FourSevens Atom AA is pure flood - a mule type light. It is a progressive twisty - tighten to L and keep tightening to H. Magnet on the tail so she can stick on things and it won't get lost (so easily). If she can handle the twisty, a good choice.

The ThruNite T10 Aluminum is an AA light with a reverse clickie. 3 modes: Very Low, Medium and High. I believe you can order this light with a neutral white emitter, which might be better than a cold white emitter.

There are several reviews of these lights on CPF and you can learn more and decide if they meet your needs.

Fragarach

Newly Enlightened
If she is reading consider a head lamp ? that way she can hold the book with two hands or pick up a cup without having to put something down ?
Wouldnt need to be to bright to read a book at under half a metre from the light.. Something from the hardware or automotive store should be sufficent I would think.

wjv

Enlightened
Spark SG series 1xAA light. Comes with a headband.

Super floody and VERY bright. great for reading.

Get her that and a set of Enloop batteries and a charger and she will good to go.

rcbobsignin

Newly Enlightened
I would stay from Four Sevens Atom AA it's a very nice flood light but I just don't see a 94 year old being able to work the twisty.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bad is her macular degeneration? Is she using a magnifying glass? If she is, try one with a built-in light. My dad didn't have MD, but needed a magnifying glass to read with. His recliner had a nice bright light that shone over his shoulder, but sometimes he needed a flashlight as well. I got him a lighted magnifying glass, and it worked great. I know you won't be able to get one in a magnifying glass without a custom mod, but strongly consider that any flashlight or headlamp you get has a high CRI emitter. The extra color rendition will bring up the contrast and should make things more readable. In the same way, if she is using a table lamp or side light, put one of the 'sunshine' bulbs in it that are supposed to be closer to natural light. Every little bit helps.

Garanddad

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I just received a Mr Elfin (Sunwayman M11r) in the mail and mounted it on a ballcap for her. She can manipulate the magnetic ring easily. Put a couple layers of frosted tape over the lens to diffuse the beam. We''ll see how she does. I will be doing all the battery changes for her so I need to get some RCR123s.
I will try a high CRI emitter when I get one.

scs_in_nj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for suggestions. She does use a magnifying glass. I have tried buying illuminated ones in the past, and the lighting wasn't that great or didn't last.
Am checking out the other suggestions. :)

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
Honestly my recommendation would be a Kindle. Lighting built into the screen, can adjust font size as desired, and lightweight for her to hold.