Need recommendation for headlamp for First Aid Kits.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a recommendation for a headlamp for use in giving first aid. So, here are my presumptions:

Made in USA, because I am a US citizen, not a citizen of the world.
Low to medium brightness due to fairly close work.
Excellent CRI, so true colors can be readily determined.
Lithium battery compatible for long-term storage with the kit. L91 acceptable.
Wide flood pattern, maybe with a spot capability.
Easily cleaned and sterilized due to possible bio hazard exposure.
Comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
Reasonably long run time.

That's all the parameters that I can think of. Hope there are some SAR, EMT'S, Combat Medics, Corp Men, Doctors or Nurses on here that can also provide some professional input.

ETA: I would rather work by USA made candles than send money to my country's enemy.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
Surefire Minimus or Maximus or any of Princeton Tec. Some Streamlight are assembled here. There is an outfit in Alabama that puts headlamps together but they are big killer lights made for coon hunting.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight. I would strongly consider trying one out, I'm all for USA made, but when it comes down to it, no light is 100% USA made, some are basically more USA made than others. Even companies like HDS aren't 100% USA made because of the certain LEDs they use.

Zebralights are fantastic and offer everything you would want in a headlamp at a reasonable price. I use mine almost everyday at work.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Minimus or Maximus or any of Princeton Tec. Some Streamlight are assembled here. There is an outfit in Alabama that puts headlamps together but they are big killer lights made for coon hunting.
Thank you hsa. I have a PT Apex, but was wanting something less expensive for multiple FAK's. I'll look at Surefire's headlamps, but doubt they will be a practical choice economically. RE: the coon lamps, no, I don't want big throwers. I'll likely have to get some of the lower end PT's or maybe UK.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
What does it exactly mean to be easily sterilized and cleaned? Could it have any plastic parts or must be all from metal? How do you sterilize elastic headstrap?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at Streamlight's offerings.

Starting with the ENDURO PRO HAZ-LO INTRINSICALLY SAFE HEADLAMP, available from the Jungle for $19.99 and will run on Lithium AAA's.

I think you'll struggle to find USA Made, Good CRI and Cheap, so you may have to compromise.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does it exactly mean to be easily sterilized and cleaned? Could it have any plastic parts or must be all from metal? How do you sterilize elastic headstrap?
Well, I was thinking of wiping them off with Clorox wipes or other anti-microbial. As for the headstrap, IDK for sure--maybe have to switch to rubber strap, or perhaps soak in vinegar or diluted bleach solution. Also the possibility of dampening the strap and microwaving it.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at Streamlight's offerings.

Starting with the ENDURO PRO HAZ-LO INTRINSICALLY SAFE HEADLAMP, available from the Jungle for $19.99 and will run on Lithium AAA's.

I think you'll struggle to find USA Made, Good CRI and Cheap, so you may have to compromise.
Yes, I may have to compromise, but it won't be in country of origin. Read the ETA in the OP.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Malkoff has a head strap for their smaller lights, but that package is almost certainly more than you want to spend.

Niteize has a headband strap designed to fit a AA minimag or similar. Combine that with the warm white AA minimag, and you're out the door for about $35, all made in the USA

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff has a head strap for their smaller lights, but that package is almost certainly more than you want to spend.

Niteize has a headband strap designed to fit a AA minimag or similar. Combine that with the warm white AA minimag, and you're out the door for about $35, all made in the USA
I have one of the NiteIze headband straps for MAG. Not real impressed with how it works. I do have several MM's already, but...ehhh, I don't really like to wear it. I'm going to keep looking for a normal headlamp--should be plenty of inexpensive ones that would work for me.

borrower

Enlightened
I have one of the NiteIze headband straps for MAG. Not real impressed with how it works. I do have several MM's already, but...ehhh, I don't really like to wear it. I'm going to keep looking for a normal headlamp--should be plenty of inexpensive ones that would work for me.

(emphasis mine) ... but since you've painted yourself into a corner, there kinda ain't.

Maybe build your own. (Not snark -- you could get some local cnc going, print your own drivers at oshpark, suck it up for the leds, which I don't think are made here...)

Maybe look at dental/medical loupes. They're bound to be $$$, but probably autoclavable. There might still be US manufacturers.

The only headlamps I know that are made in the USA are Surefire, Princeton Tec, BioLight, and Vont (a lighting design company in Wyoming). That noted, if you're open to considering headlamps made by NATO allies (including Australia), you might want to review the offerings from the manufacturers identified below.

Headlamps made in Europe include Petzl (France), LEDLenser (Germany), Reister (Germany), Lupine (Germany - really, really expensive headlamps, but really, really well made, too); Silva (Sweden), and Bookman (Sweden).

There is one headlamps I'm aware of that's made in Australia: the Knog (take a look at the 400-lumen Knog BIlby headlamp).

Good luck in your search. Let the community know what you decide...the folks who contributed to this thread are no doubt curious.

borrower

Enlightened
If we're broadening to Europe, my fave is by LuciferLights (.net), the S2X.

And an aside to @DaveTheDude -- can you link an American made Vont? I see 4 packs on amazon for 20 bucks that say the country of origin is China. Maybe they have multiple lines?

Last edited:

borrower

Enlightened
Yup, Lucifer is made in Czech Republic. (edited to correct my earlier geographic error)

Last edited: