Need recommendation on 1xRCR123 flashlight

server

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I need a 1xRCR123 EDC flashlight that's :

* neutral white (at least not cool/blue/green), I have H600W MKii and I like that tint.

* you don't have to twist the head to change modes and it steps down instead of turning off when it reaches battery cut off.

* at max it's at least 300lm, has moon mode - sub 1lm, I don't need strobe/SOS etc* beam sth like zebralight h51/h600 etc would be perfect

I like the Eagletac D25C but as far as I can see you need to twist the head.
I also like Sunwayman V11R for example, but does it have a neutral white version, also how low is the lowest setting?
I have a ThruNite 1C, but it's cool white, you need to twist the head and it doesn't step down.

All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Check Eagletac D25C clickly series. You switch modes with pressing the button. Only needs twisting when switching output groups.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC - several different versions are available, including li-ion with neutral XP-G2. Malkoff has a well deserved fan base on CPF. Their lights are solid, robust and well made and their customer service is excellent.

Edit: The li-ion version doesn't have a sub lumen level.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S10 L2 Neutral White.

Super-small. Has a sideswitch with instant shortcuts to moonlight and max. Available in a neutral white version. Output 360 lumens.

Don't know if it has stepdown though.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights (Clicky), they come up a bit short in your max output requirement (250lm for cool white & 170lm for neutral) but otherwise meet the other specs.

server

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking at Olight S10 Ti NW, looks very good. I also really like the HDS clicky but they are hard to get in Europe, and become really expensive with shipping and taxes :(
I also really like the D25C, but as far as I can tell to get to moon/low you need to loosen the head, with the head tightened you only get max and strobe.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking at Olight S10 Ti NW, looks very good. I also really like the HDS clicky but they are hard to get in Europe, and become really expensive with shipping and taxes :(
I also really like the D25C, but as far as I can tell to get to moon/low you need to loosen the head, with the head tightened you only get max and strobe.

The Olight S10 is a great light.

But make sure to get the later version of it. The S10 L2 has the double-click to max shortcut. The earlier S10 does not have an XML2 emitter and has no shortcut to max.

bub

Newly Enlightened
Hi I have the S10L2 and the D25c Clicky Ti. The UI on the D25c Clicky is much easer than the S10.

At first I thought the S10 was that good, I ordered another S10 but after I found this forum I went on hunt to find the best CR123 light. Lol

After getting
S10L2
SUNWAYMAN M11R Sirius
Fenix E15
EagleTac D25C mini XP-G2 R5
EagleTac D25C Clicky Ti XM-L2

The EagleTac D25C Clicky is just so sweet. Lol

Last edited:

server

Newly Enlightened
@bub thanks for the input. On the D25C Clicky, do you have to loosen the head for the low modes? Also with the head loosened is it a bit flaky/shaky, can you push the head back and make contact if it's loosened just a bit? I have a ThruNite 1C and that's the thing I dislike mostly about it, that's why I wanted to avoid loosening the head for modes (lows). Unfortunately I have nowhere to try out the D25C live before getting one. :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
....On the D25C Clicky, do you have to loosen the head for the low modes? Also with the head loosened is it a bit flaky/shaky, can you push the head back and make contact if it's loosened just a bit? I have a ThruNite 1C and that's the thing I dislike mostly about it, that's why I wanted to avoid loosening the head for modes (lows).

I too used to hate the way loose/tight bezel flashlights could go into maximum if you bumped the head wrong while it was near the loose/tight line. However, it has now become my all time favorite UI "feature" - I use it as a single-handed momentary max that works just like car high beam flashers and returns to the previously used lower mode. Spot my dog off leash; signal cars pedestrians are ahead, or to dip their high beams; spot the next trail marker; investigate that bump in the woods; signal morse code with reverse clickies, etc.

Unfortunate doesn't work well with the D25s.

bub

Newly Enlightened
@bub thanks for the input. On the D25C Clicky, do you have to loosen the head for the low modes? Also with the head loosened is it a bit flaky/shaky, can you push the head back and make contact if it's loosened just a bit? I have a ThruNite 1C and that's the thing I dislike mostly about it, that's why I wanted to avoid loosening the head for modes (lows). Unfortunately I have nowhere to try out the D25C live before getting one. :)

Hi, it is hard to explain the UI on the D25C (2014 model) lol. The difference in head loosen to tight is only 10deg so the head is still reasonably tight. The tolerance of the threads is very good so there is very small amount of play if any.

The light has a fantastic moonlight mode. I set the light in to this mode in an evening and change it back during the day this way you get the best of both worlds. I very rarely use turbo mode as there is very little difference to high when using CR123s.

The D25C clicky is so much better than the mini, as the UI on the mini does not have a moonlight mode. The S10L2's UI is very slow and the shape just is no way as nice as the clicky. I also prefer the clicky over the M11R Sirius as the M11R is no way worth double the price lol.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

bub

Newly Enlightened

Hi sorry having problems posting.

The Ti clicky (2014) only needs to move about 10deg for head tighten to loosen. The head feels nice and tight. I set the light to moonlight mode at night and reset it during the day. It is such a good UI much nicer than any of the other lights I have for EDC.

And It is half the price of the M11R Sirius but is nicer to use. Lol

server

Newly Enlightened
@bub thanks for the input. I'll try and find a D25C to try out hands on, meanwhile I've ordered one Olight S10-L2 NW to try out, at least it's relatively cheap - 36$ total. :)

bub

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the S10L2 today for work. Wish some one would make a mod to put a magnet in the recess on the top of the D25c mini so it could compete with the usefulness of the S10.

6yvehydu.jpg

server

Newly Enlightened
In case anyone is interested I got an Olight S10L2 NW, I use it with AW RCR123a. The light is very small, well made, very strong good clip, strong magnet in the tail, UI is great. It doesn't automatically step down (ZL style) when battery is low, but if you are on high it turns off, and a few seconds later you can turn the light on on low for example for a few more hours of light, which works for me, although ZL do it better. :) The tint is good, a bit more yellow than other XM-L NW light I've got, but I like it a lot. Perfect EDC (and not only) light for me for now, very satisfied.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Check Eagletac D25C clickly series. You switch modes with pressing the button. Only needs twisting when switching output groups.

I'm with you. After trying a few CR123 lights ;)

982a965e4f324c497f46baf368e941d7.jpg

The D25C (Nichia 219 version) is really pulling ahead. I honestly didn't think I'd like the UI, especially compared to the various mag ring interfaces. It seemed "complicated" (just reading about it) But honestly, it's just fine. I turn it on in firefly and tap once for Medium if I need it. Pretty simple. And the quality of the light on this thing is outstanding!

People seem to worry about lower output of the Nichia LEDs compared with CREEs but I keep this light in the low range and never seem to need more than Medium for daily tasks

And, yeah, the head in slightly loosened, but it works just fine. Good solid build. Easy UI. Outstanding beam. This light has it all.

Ken

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my v11rvn and love it. It's infinitely variable so the low goes down to 0.
It will go so low it won't illuminate your hand a couple feet away at the lowest setting. Very useful. The high is insanity. The "vn" version is 0-900 led lumen, making this a tiny monster. I ordered the aa/14500 extender for a little more runtime and a better feel in my hand.

It's definitely my edc. (till my c20cvn gets here :D )

Charles L.

Enlightened
Congrats on the S10, server! I have an S20 and really like it. I share your dislike of twisty-head interfaces, and find the S series' tailcap magnet to be quite useful at times.

Tmack, that vn version of the V11R sounds awesome!