Need Tactical EDC Recommendation

Roger999

Enlightened
Surefire e2e
Veleno designs e series drop in, single mode
Lx2 clip

Im not too familiar with e series tailcaps so Im not sure if theres a twisty tailcap with momentary. The stock tailcap will be press lightly for momentary, press hard for constant on/off.

Edit: fuuuu just saw that OP found a light lol. $120 is a sweet price for an lx2.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Well, looks like the LX2 is it if i don't want a frankenlight. Amazing that no one else makes a suitable light. Listen up manufacturers: there's a market for simple.

Frankenlights are like Frankenguns... A well spec'd AR-15 can run just fine if not better than a factory offering since you get what you want.

With all the offerings out there now it is just hard for me to settle for a single mode light, however it can't be some confusing multiple clicky thing either. My current EDC is an Oveready bored out Z2 with a Thrunite XML drop in and McCicky two level push thru tailcap. With an AW 3100mAh 18650 rechargeable battery I can get 3+ hours of guilt free runtime. However I belt carry next to a spare mag and not pocket. For pocket I use a Quark 1x123 light.

Anyways, looks like you got a good deal on the LX2!

Dennis.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's sad that Surefire decided to drop the twisty switch design on their E2 series in favor of a clicky. And even sadder still when most manufacturers would deem it fit to have multiple mode lights with clicky switch and passing them off as being tactical. Although I am not a tactical operator, I fully understand the needs of one. The biggest problem with a clicky switch is the accidental lock-on in a high stress situation when the operator may have pressed the switch a little too hard. It would make it very difficult to execute the flash and go, flash and go technique.

I fully agree with the choice of an LX2. Have one and in terms of user interface nothing comes quite close to it other than lights made by Surefire in the same category, i.e. A2 and A2L Aviator.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2, LX2, LX2. The two stage twisty can be easily over looked...just push hard every time. This is my no compromise tactical EDC.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
How does a 360 lumen, 7 function clicky fit all of my criteria?

Please read my request again.

I do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics. The more complicated, the more likely it is to fail

Push on, release off. 120-200 lumens

LOL, I explained my selection, by noting you could EASILY configure the light to be ONE mode. Your initial post DID NOT mention that you "....do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics."

Jeez

azoutdoorsman

Newly Enlightened
VTAC has a single cell Surefire light based on the E1B, but only has high mode. They also have a light based on the E2DL, but only has a high mode bezel as well:

link removed

I know the tailcaps are clicky, but I thought some others reading this thread might like to see these offerings.

Last edited by a moderator:

victory

Enlightened
It's sad that Surefire decided to drop the twisty switch design on their E2 series in favor of a clicky. And even sadder still when most manufacturers would deem it fit to have multiple mode lights with clicky switch and passing them off as being tactical. Although I am not a tactical operator, I fully understand the needs of one. The biggest problem with a clicky switch is the accidental lock-on in a high stress situation when the operator may have pressed the switch a little too hard. It would make it very difficult to execute the flash and go, flash and go technique.

I do firearms instruction and our courses involve a low-light portion. I see nothing but problems with students running lights with multiple modes and clicky switches. The second the light doesn't do what they expect it to, even under a little simulated stress, they crap their pants and freeze up. Then they go out and buy a proper light.

Another issue I see is lights that are just too damn bright for their purpose. I think 200 lumens is the absolute top end for a tactical light. Students running 300, 400, 500 lumen lights are constantly blinding themselves with splashback. Meanwhile the guys with old Surefires can still see their target plenty well and don't end up walking around in a daze like someone set off a flashbang in their face.

LX2, LX2, LX2. The two stage twisty can be easily over looked...just push hard every time.

You say it like a "soft press" is even an option once the adrenaline starts flowing. :)

victory

Enlightened
LOL, I explained my selection, by noting you could EASILY configure the light to be ONE mode. Your initial post DID NOT mention that you "....do not want a multi-mode light with complicated electronics."

Jeez

I am looking for a 2x CR123 LED light with the following features:

-Tubular design or minimally flared bezel for comfortable pocket carry (think surefire E2 size)
-120-200 lumens
-Single output
-Momentary only switch

-Clip for bezel-down carry
-Reputable manufacture/Good quality control

These features are not negotiable.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Maybe it is too large, but the Surefire 6PX and GPX are single mode lights with momentary switches. They also don't have pocket clips but those can be added with an aftermarket part. I understand each of your requirements. I currently have a SF 6P in my back pocket. I do not find it too large for EDC. Let us know which light you ultimately choose.

victory

Enlightened
Maybe it is too large, but the Surefire 6PX and GPX are single mode lights with momentary switches. They also don't have pocket clips but those can be added with an aftermarket part. I understand each of your requirements. I currently have a SF 6P in my back pocket. I do not find it too large for EDC. Let us know which light you ultimately choose.

All answered earlier in the thread. I have a G2X on my rifle, but find the head too large for bezel down carry in a regular jeans pocket.