Need to dim a 194 equiv.

guy48065

Newly Enlightened
Both license plate lights are burned out in my truck and that's a particularly nasty environment there on the back bumper so I decided to put in LED equivalants. They're too bright. Is there a paint dip to mute some of the brightness?

Nicholas9876

Newly Enlightened
I have seen LED 194 with a difuser - Philips?

Also, there are plug-and-play license plate light assemblies - Morimoto XB and others.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could make a diffuser out of a plastic milk jug then spray on some Plasti-Dip smoke color which is intended for darkening tail-lights and stuff on cars. I just dont see how a stock auto lamp could be too bright. It's supposed to make your license plate visible at night.

guy48065

Newly Enlightened
Everyone wants brighter bulbs, right? The OEM license plate lamps are pretty dim--they don't need to be beacons. The amped-up 194 LED replacements just look wrong.

Back in the day there was paint dip for incandescent bulbs. I'm sure that would work fine on LEDs that run much cooler.
I might try to just spritz some window tint paint on the plastic bulb to see if that works.

I really don't want to do anything to modify the little housings.

Nicholas9876

Newly Enlightened
Everyone wants brighter bulbs, right? The OEM license plate lamps are pretty dim--they don't need to be beacons. The amped-up 194 LED replacements just look wrong.

Back in the day there was paint dip for incandescent bulbs. I'm sure that would work fine on LEDs that run much cooler.
I might try to just spritz some window tint paint on the plastic bulb to see if that works.

I really don't want to do anything to modify the little housings.
What bulb are you using?

guy48065

Newly Enlightened
So I poked the bases into a piece of foam & misted the plastic bulb with black paint.
I wasn't especially careful, figuring I could wipe it off with thinner or a scotch brite.
The paint had the desired effect. The bulbs now dimly light the license without turning it into a billboard.