Needing a new batter charger, would like to ask your advise/recommendation?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently opened my second/back up Nitecore Itellicharger i4, as the end of the power cord was showing, or has exposed the wires leading into the plug of the first Intellicharger. I tried contacting Nitecore last week, asking if I could purchase a new/replacement power cord, but, I have yet to receive a reply.

I charge a AW 16340 (RCR123), or a AW IMR 16340, and a AW 17670 at the end of each night. However, I also charge a AW IMR 18350, AW 18650, and a AW 18500 as well. Dependent on what lights I'm carrying that night.

One other area I would like to achieve, is a faster charge time for the larger batteries, e.g. a 17670, or a 18650. The Intellicharger i4 takes approximately 4 hours to charge a 17670, longer for a 18650.

I don't like to charge the battery/ies unattended, so if I leave my motor home. I'll remove the battery, and unplug the charger till I return.

@ The XTAR XP4, looks like a good one / no brainier charger (which kind of what I'm after). However, (please correct me if I'm wr, ... wr, ... wrong) from what I've read, I can only charge one type of battery at a time, e.g. charge all bays @ 0.25A/0.5A or @ 1A, but cannot specify separate charge rate per each bay/s. If this is the case, I'll have to charge my 16340 first, then charge my 18350 @ 1A next.

BUT, the battery listing, does not show a 17670. Not sure why, but it doesn't list this size battery.

@ I looked at the Fenix ARE-C2 Advanced 4-bay Multi-Charger. Which will (if I'm correct) charge a 18650 in approximately 3 1/2 hours.

BUT the battery listing, does not show a 18350, or a 17670 batteries. Not sure why, but it doesn't list these two batteries.

I place a question about charging these two size batteries over at the Fenix boards at CPMF. It's Sunday so, ....

I plan on purchasing a new charger in a few days. If I find one that would cover what I'm after (faster charge times, as well as charging my 16340's, 17670, 18350. 18500, and 18650 batteries in one charger). I'll box up the Intellicharger i4, using it as my back up charger.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pops

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Most chargers use the same charge current in all slots. This does not restrict you to battery size at a time, you can charge both 16340 and 18650 at 0.5A, then when the 16340 are finished you increase the current to 1A.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most chargers use the same charge current in all slots. This does not restrict you to battery size at a time, you can charge both 16340 and 18650 at 0.5A, then when the 16340 are finished you increase the current to 1A.

Thank you.

Pops

PS So, although the XTAR doesn't list the 17670. Would be OK to charge it on the XTAR? If it's OK, would I charge it at 0.5A or 1A?

HKJ

Flashaholic
PS So, although the XTAR doesn't list the 17670. Would be OK to charge it on the XTAR? If it's OK, would I charge it at 0.5A or 1A?

There are many sizes of LiIon batteries and specifications usual only lit the most common sizes, there is no problem at charging other sizes.
A 17670 can be charged at 1A

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many sizes of LiIon batteries and specifications usual only lit the most common sizes, there is no problem at charging other sizes.
A 17670 can be charged at 1A

Thanks again, I really appreciate the information.

Pops

jwag73

Newly Enlightened
As stated the VP4 can charge many batteries not listed. It was tested by forum member "HKJ" and showed favorable results. If your considering one, just do it. It's faster the the Nitecore D4, has a better charge curve than the LUC 4 Bay, which makes it tops in class. XTAR makes a really good charger, or I wouldn't own three of them, lol.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I have nitecore i2. Its the only charge this style that I have. It doesnt have any fancy functions. I prefer to use my hyperion eos720. It chargers all the different battery chemistry's. I like it because i can diagnose battery performance and actual capacity. I can safely charge up to seven batteries. It works great although pricey and bulky. There are many chinese clones that would work just fine for around 50$

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
"HJK", jwag73 and [email protected], thank you for taking the time, and your advise! It's very much appreciated!

As stated the VP4 can charge many batteries not listed. It was tested by forum member "HKJ" and showed favorable results. If your considering one, just do it. It's faster the the Nitecore D4, has a better charge curve than the LUC 4 Bay, which makes it tops in class. XTAR makes a really good charger, or I wouldn't own three of them, lol.

Yup, read "HJK's" review, AND it's ordered! ... :thumbsup:

I have nitecore i2. Its the only charge this style that I have. It doesnt have any fancy functions. I prefer to use my hyperion eos720. It chargers all the different battery chemistry's. I like it because i can diagnose battery performance and actual capacity. I can safely charge up to seven batteries. It works great although pricey and bulky. There are many chinese clones that would work just fine for around 50$

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll read up a bit more on the hyperion eos720, but it looks like it's more then a "no brainier" type of charger. ... :laughing:

In regards to the Nitecore. Owning two Nitecore i4's, I'm underwhelmed by their lack of response to the two emails I sent them. Asking if I could purchase a power cord. So ...

Anyways, I'll box up the new i4 I recently opened. Keeping it as a back up charger, but it may end up being a back up, to a back up, if I purchase another Xtar.

Thanks again!

Pops

Last edited:

Latest posts