Neutral white?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the difference also between the Q3-5A and Q3-5B? And Q3 versus Q4? I am going nuts trying to understand.

From what I've read and seen in comparisons, the 5A has more of a rose tint to it, the 5B is more yellow. Q4 will be slightly brighter than Q3.

John-Galt

Newly Enlightened
=( Can we stay on topic and not let this become yet another of those tint preference topics?

I'd like to find out more about these missing WJ/3A tints without having all this 'neutral is better', 'cool is better' debates - enough of those already and everyone is going to have their preference.

Exactly! Does anyone own or has anyone seen beamshots from any of those "missing" neutral colors? They are listed in the CREE and SSC literature, and definitely can be ordered.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What are the difference also between the Q3-5A and Q3-5B? And Q3 versus Q4?
Generally speaking the Q4 will be brighter than a Q3 from the same tint bin. I have both 5A and 5B tints in lights and for me they both appear fairly creamy in appearance (my personal description would be not necessary yellowish so much as more the color of cream, go figure...) with just a touch more yellow to the 5B.

Others may differ, but this is my perspective, and as such, I love them both, with a slight favor to the 5B, which I look forward to soon getting in the new limited release Quark MiNi AA!

vivid

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for going off topic but,

Could someone please enlighten me what is a WJ/3A tint? Or some other neutral/warm white tints? The only neutral white I have is a Quark with XP-E Q3-5A. Maybe if someone could use the XP-E Q3-5A as a benchmark and explain to me where those other tints fall in terms of warmness I would appreciate very much. What are the difference also between the Q3-5A and Q3-5B? And Q3 versus Q4? I am going nuts trying to understand.

I hope this will help, I started a thread because I was confused by the Cree model numbers. there is some great info in there, hope it helps. link

I will give your question a shot, but I am very new to flashlights. The Q3, Q4, R2, R5 etc refers to the flux bin (efficiency of the LED, how much light is emitted at a certain power) see this chart link

the second part WC, WD, WH or 3A, 5A, 5B refers to the color that is emitted. Anything that starts with a letter is on the cool side, anything that start with a number is on the neutral to warm side. link to the warm color chart the Cree cool white chart was not in this thread but take a look at it for color charts for other manufactures link. The cool white chart for Cree is in the PDF that Uplight linked to above.