New battery tech

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow think of the explosions that much energy could cause. :devil:

There's another link at the same site that also talks about using manganese oxide electrodes, with other changes to get 30% power increase, long life cycle, and more stability. That's already licensed to a manufacturer of laptop batteries so it's closer to market. Sounds like it could be a win across the board...and much sooner.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw this on the 2nd page of the comments section.
ki @ Jun 2nd 2008 1:39PM

"This got mistranslated.
The original Nikkei says that you can RECHARGE the battery up to 10000 times, which is 20X more than what current Li-ion batterys can handle.

Doen't say anything about power.
Also, Subaru is a division of Fuji Heavy Industries"

Well don't that just rain on my parade:poof:

"Twenty times more power..."

More power than ... my toothbrush?
More power than ... 50 men and a yak?

Old carbon batteries or anything else we may never know simply because it is not stated.
:popcorn:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys know that 123a lithium batteries have the same energy density as dynamite, right?

Roll that around in your head a minute...

SilentK

Enlightened
a new primary for HIDs? i smell illumination!!:poof: time for super incandecents and a new energy scource for our very own CPF mod team!!

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys know that 123a lithium batteries have the same energy density as dynamite, right?

Roll that around in your head a minute...

Energy Density by mass for aluminum (burned in oxygen) is 7.4 times that of TNT. Body fat metabolizing has an even higher energy density. Roll that around in your head the next time you pick up your aluminum bodied flashlight in you fat containing hand.

Actually the numbers I just found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density show TNT as having higher energy density by mass than Li-ion by more than an order of magnitude. Energy density by volume may be be similar between the two, since lithium isn't very dense but I am not energetic enough to look it up. ;)

Energy density itself only tells so much of the story. The stability of it's stored energy matters. For example I am not worried about my aluminum light suddenly combusting in EDC usage. How quickly you can convert that potential energy into kinetic energy matters to. TNT can convert it's potential very, very rapidly. C4 can also convert it's energy very quickly, but many a Vietnam veteran cooked C rations over a burning chunk because without high pressure it delivered energy far more slowly.