New Black Diamond Storm 2014

Whitedwarf

Newly Enlightened
Just got this email from Black diamond europe: ''I would like to thank you for your mail to Black Diamond, the New storm will be out on the European market in the first weeks of March.''

Blue Sky

Newly Enlightened
It looks like Àmazon is the cheapest for the Storm and has free shipping. :)

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
It is a great general purpose headlamp. I use mine mainly for assembling new computer systems and working on things around the house where I need light and a free pair of hands. The red LED lights are useful. In fact it would be a great light for camping. The batteries also last a long time. I have the older 100 Lumen model. The problem with more Lumens is potentially the battery life is shorter, unless the new LED is 60% more efficient in operation.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
The led is definitely not 60% more efficient, about 20% a few percent more or less.
The overall lumen output is an example of the ANSI optimized runtime, also the new storm is no longer fully regulated headlamp.
M10140_D_Storm_S14_IS_runtime.jpg

2 Single Power leds = 18 lumens max => After 30 minutes on 18 lumens the output droops by 30% ? Are you kidding ??

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
Evidently the issue is that the side mounted LEDs are not as efficient as the main one. They don't throw out much light. I really would only see a use for these say inside a tent at night and maybe for reading although the red LEDs may be better for that (it is good for reading maps but haven't tried reading a book by it).

jcw122

Enlightened
Anyone know if it's feasible to replace the main LED in this light with something warm?

jcw122

Enlightened
The led is definitely not 60% more efficient, about 20% a few percent more or less.
The overall lumen output is an example of the ANSI optimized runtime, also the new storm is no longer fully regulated headlamp.

2 Single Power leds = 18 lumens max => After 30 minutes on 18 lumens the output droops by 30% ? Are you kidding ??

According to [FONT=&quot]Joe Penacoli[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Black Diamond Customer Service)[/FONT], the Storm is regulated just like the prior year's model. Just emailed them to find out.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Just picked up a Storm and a Spot. The button on the Storm is much stiffer than the Spot's -- I can't imagine finding and pressing this button with gloves on. Has anyone else noticed this? Due to waterproofing, or QC issues with my lamp?

Overall these seem like nice, light, versatile headlamps. They seem pathetically dim (esp. the flood setting) compared to my Nitecore HC50 or Zebralight H602, but they do have a nice array of features and are of course considerably less expensive. Much lighter than the HC50!

Update on weights -- just measured the weight of my 4 lamps with straps and batteries.
Nitecore HC50: 6.5 oz
Zebralight H602: 4.2 oz
BD Storm: 3.6 oz
BD Spot: 2.9 oz!

As nice as the HC50 is, to me it's just a bit heavy for extended wear. Perhaps that's because I have lighter lamps with which to compare.
ZL is a more reasonable weight, and has by far the highest highs and lowest lows. No red LED's, however, and no spot/flood alternative.
BD's are mighty nice for their weight and price point. The light weight comes at its own price, however, as they are built with a lot of plastic and don't feel as sturdy as the other two. I suspect the H602 will remain my most-used headlamp, but I don't know -- the BDs' features and light weights are appealing.

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Just picked up a Storm and a Spot. The button on the Storm is much stiffer than the Spot's -- I can't imagine finding and pressing this button with gloves on. Has anyone else noticed this? Due to waterproofing, or QC issues with my lamp?

In mine it's the same... in gloves it's almost unusable - but you have power tap ;P

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the interface like to switch from spot to wide angle lights? Is it still a toggle system where if you have it at
spot mode and turn it off when you turn it back on it will be in wide angle?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wish they would fix that. I would like for my headlamp to come on the same way every time.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up a BD Spot. The only other headlamp I have is a SF Minimus. Of course the build quality and the UI of the Minimus is far better then the Spot but other then that the BD Spot is pretty good, especially at 1/3 the price. Comfortable, good light output/beam shape, and light weight.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I agree, I love the Spot for its price. So light and comfortable. The UI is quirky, but I kind of like it. I do wish the flood and red beams were stronger, otherwise no complaints.

bkb

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 2014 Storm a couple of months ago , overall I really like it but there are two things about it that im not sure are normal or if mine is defective. The first is a distinct yellow spot right in the center of the beam. I noticed it when there was no snow on the ground, but now that the ground is covered in snow its very noticeable. None of my other leds has a spot in the center of them. Just wondering if its normal for this light.
The second thing is the pwm, Im not overly sensitive to pwm but whenever I turn my head or shift my eyes with this headlamp on I see trails on bright objects in the foreground. I have other flashlights that use pwm and its not as noticeable to me as this is. Is it possible the pwm circuit could have a problem or does this light just use low frequency pwm.
Just wondering if I should return it for warranty repair or just live with it. Like I said, other than these two issues I really like this light.

dbgg1979

Newly Enlightened
I just got my BD Storm in the mail today... 160 lumens version with power tap (orange model). I went to Cabelas last week and looked at them (the 100 lumens model) and decided not to get one. Got home, and decided that my gift card was burning a hole in my pocket and ended up ordered one off the web. I was surprised because I did not know there was an updated model.

I've only played with it for about 5 minutes outside, but here are my quick impressions:

- Definitely appears to be 160 lumens.
- love the dimmability of all the LEDs
- The power tap, cycles between current brightness and max, with just a tap. (Appears to be some type of capacitive switch)
- The red LEDs focus kinda suck. They focus to a single spot about 6 feet in front of you. Usable, but not that floody.

I am going to play with it a bit more over the week, but can tell you right now, it will be replacing my PT Remix. Mainly due to the BD Storm 5 mm white LEDs and being dimmable between 25 and 4 lumens. I live on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere, and will be using it for farm chores, hunting, setting traps and what not.

Ask away if you have any questions. But I can tell you, that I do like this headlamp.
I know this is a 2 yr old thread, but I was hoping the bd storm users back then can notice this and maybe help.

My bd storm has been with me for almost 2 yrs now. I've been using this headlamp everyday here at the farm. One night, when I took it out of my bag, the led on the side, the one that indicates the battery status, was already on. Its showing a white light. I've only seen this light up with red, green and blue. But I've never seen this white color before. It lights up whenever the headlamp is switched off. And the led switches off when the headlamp is switched on. Everything can else, all functions are normal. Just this led on the side which lights up white whenever I turn off the headlamp. Can someone help me how to switch this back to normal?

dayhiker

Newly Enlightened
BD usually is really good at answering question, though I have never had to ask them about their headlamps. It sounds to me light it is broken though.

I actually hate this headlamp as it turns on in the pack , even if locked. I now take the batteries out between uses, and at least now I remember how to open it! I controls aren't hard, just hard to remember or figure out without instructions.