New dummy cell that I machined

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
I turned this on my lathe

The conductor is made out of aluminum
The insulator is made out of delrin (so it should be pretty durable)

P1102823.jpg

two pieces apart (notice the knurled spot to keep it from slipping out)

P1102825.jpg

Pieces together front view

P1102824.jpg

Pieces together rear view

P1102826.jpg

Side by side to compare size with actual AA battery

P1282886.jpg

picture of the three types i have made a bunch of so far

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in some of these

i can also make them in other sizes (cr123, AAA, etc.)

i can also use a different conductor material if requested (brass, steel, etc.)

The price ranges from $8-$10 depending on cell size, and i can make any custom length you may need (price for custom size varies), the ones shown above are not the only ones i make,just the ones i have taken pictures of so far.

PM me if you are interested

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob: Looks nice! how much for the CR123? I'm new here and thought this disease was limited to myself. I glad I'm not alone. Tons of good info here!

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Add me to your 'interested parties' list. (I like the AA and would also be interested in CR123 size). Any idea of the cost???

Thanks,

highorder

Enlightened
i can also use a different conductor material if requested (brass, steel, etc.)

you will find that aluminum has better electrical properties than any other common metal (save copper) and is easier to machine than anything but plastic!
nice work. :goodjob:

Nebula

Enlightened
RMI - please add me to your interested list. 123, AA and AAA should do nicely. Do you have plans for other sizes? I may have need for a 14670? Thanks. KK

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
I do have plans for other sizes but first i need
the real thing to take the measurements off of

if any of you have some old dead cells that you
dont need anymore i could use a few items i could
take the measurements but dont feel like paying the
full price for ones i wont use

PGP

Newly Enlightened
I have some that you can use to take measurements! These are not dead so I will need them back. Just let me know which ones you want and I will bring them next time I see you. I have 18650, 17670, 17500, 14670, 14500, RCR123 & RCR2.

Patrick

rain_man_ind said:
I do have plans for other sizes but first i need
the real thing to take the measurements off of

if any of you have some old dead cells that you
dont need anymore i could use a few items i could
take the measurements but dont feel like paying the
full price for ones i wont use

Nebula

Enlightened
Patrick - Have you been able to get the measurements for these cells? If not, let me know and I can measure the 18650, 14670, 14500, and RCR123. Thanks.

R_M_I - I am still interested in buying some of these.

PGP said:
I have some that you can use to take measurements! These are not dead so I will need them back. Just let me know which ones you want and I will bring them next time I see you. I have 18650, 17670, 17500, 14670, 14500, RCR123 & RCR2.

Patrick

carrot

Flashaholic
I have no use for these, but they're nifty so I'm interested. I want at least an AA, maybe a CR123 as well.

myk

Enlightened
First, these look freaking awesome, and if you can make me one (or 3) the size difference between a regular mag and a MagLED so as to use a Kroll/regular miniMag clickie on a miniMagLED. I can get this length for you -

Second, (sorry, this isn't a B/S/T forum) anyone looking for the CR123 or AA size dummy on the cheap can check out AW's for $5 each here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103143

They're not quite as elegant or nearly as freakin cool looking, but they do in fact get the job done

If you can make the custom jobs for me (I'll re-post with the measurements) of the part of an AA add me to the interest list

Also something to consider - I'm not sure what you can do with the delrin, but if you could make adapters that DONT SUCK to use a AA battery in place of a D battery (eg, delrin tube with metal bottom contact, AA slips in the top)

Currently all of the adapter I have seen suck pretty bad- your solution if it scales could be nice =)

Last edited:

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
I thought this post was going to die for a while there but guess not so I'll
keep making them.
hopefully I can get at least ten orders.

I am also looking into alternative materials if anyone is interested
these include... polycarbonate, nylon, abs, pvc, etc.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note, Rain_man_ind. This thread is getting very close to being considered a feeler/group buy, if not there already. Probably the best thing to do is, decide if you definitely want to make some of these things, request to have this thread closed, and start a fresh one in the Group Buy and Passaround section of the forum.

BTW, welcome to CPF!

Also not a bad idea to let us know a little more about yourself. There's been a lot of new people coming straight onto the forum, offering to sell things, and people are a little suspicious at first. Rightfully so, and I've felt that way before myself.

Another BTW... Delrin is just fine with me if that's what you already have. The black housing looks quite nice.

Let us know asap if you can, before we get in trouble here. ;)

PGP

Newly Enlightened
You can give him the measuremments if you want! I was just going to give him the batteries to take his own measurements. I know when I am doing something like that I would rather have the real deal in front of me to take measurements than to hope that I dont screw up a whole bunch of them because some one else made an error in thier measurements.

Nebula said:
Patrick - Have you been able to get the measurements for these cells? If not, let me know and I can measure the 18650, 14670, 14500, and RCR123. Thanks.

R_M_I - I am still interested in buying some of these.