New EcoSmart 60 watt equivelent A-19 LED bulbs, 75 watt R30 eqivelent

Microa

Enlightened
That was the grey part. 14 watts are the total power consumption. 13 watts are the power consumed by the LEDs.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just heard a radio ad [ESPN NYC 1050am, I was listening to baseball playoffs] and they had repeated ads for HD saying the EcoSmart A19 bulbs are on sale for about $9.95. They did not say if it was the 8 watt or the 13 watt. I'll probably spring for some at that price.

frank70

Newly Enlightened
That would be the older 8.6 watt one with the round globe, not this 8 watt one. Reviews for the older bulb indicate the color temp and CRI are problematic and it doesn't project light down. Probably trying to clear out space on the shelves for these V2 bulbs.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
I have the 40W and 60W daylight version of the lights pictured in the OP. They run at 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively, according to my infrared thermometer measuring off the heat sinks (in open air, installed on a ceiling fan that was turned off). Are these remote phosphor? They didn't seem to show any degradation/light loss as they heated up in my tests.

Dimmable too.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Not a remote phosphor design. There's a ring of LEDs on a MCPCB with a revolved conic section (either a parabolic or elliptical cross section) reflector above it. The material is likely made by White Optics or Furukawa and is a MCPET or similar. The reflector is used to redirect the light and diffuse it at the same time with low loss. Both materials are really interesting.

Still not sure who makes the LED but haven't really been looking. They were using a flip chip last I knew (no wire bonds) but it's not a Luxeon product. Might be Arima or LG. I'm not aware that Cree is offering a flip chip.

Keep in mind when measuring the temperature of the heatsink that it's the temperature at the LED die that matters. If the heatsink is hot that means it is doing a good job of getting the heat away from the die. A thermal couple at the LED is the best way to get operating temperatures but that means having the equipment and taking apart your bulb!

My understanding is that the PS is really quite good. Power electronics are not my thing. Certainly is huge compared to many of the other bulbs on the market which is too bad. I have been buying these bulbs and retro-fitting with our LEDs for testing. I have one lighting up a corner of my living room.

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
Home Depot is now selling the warm version 60W (850 lumen) lights shown posted in the OP for $23.97. The light color looks absolutely beautiful and appears brighter than a 60W incan. I bought two and probably will buy a few more soon. :thumbsup:

The daylight version (cool white 950 lumen) is $25.97, but I took it back because the color was much too cool for the house. Made the front room look like pale moonlight.

Last edited:

SloopJohnB

Newly Enlightened
One thing about ecosmart LED bulbs...apparently they interfere or jam garage door opener receivers...my Chamberlain garage door openers didn't when I put in ecosmart LED bulbs.
Put halogen back in and the openers worked fine.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One thing about ecosmart LED bulbs...apparently they interfere or jam garage door opener receivers...my Chamberlain garage door openers didn't when I put in ecosmart LED bulbs.
Put halogen back in and the openers worked fine.
RF interference is a common problem with some types of DC power supplies. My employer has equipment (often installed in residential garages) that occasionally interfered with garage door openers. We had to replace a number of them and discontinue the use of that particular power supply when it became a known issue.

Unfortunate that the manufacturer didn't introduce some RF filtering...

SikDMAX

Newly Enlightened
I discovered these EcoSmart daylight white LED bulbs yesterday and have been going crazy at HD the last few days :broke:

So far Ive played with the 8 watt, 40 watt equivalents at $17.97 and a 15 watt, 90 watt equivalent at $36.97, and I think they are AWESOME! I prefer 5000k over 3000k (in general), but to be fair I haven't tried the lower color yet in these bulbs. The plan is to convert 100% of my interior home lighting to LED, and these seem like a good choice.

A couple of shots.... color representation is tough to accomplish but the amount of light that single 15 watt unit throws is insane IMO... and it is clean, white light.

ecosmart8watt.jpg

ecosmart15watt.jpg