New Fenix Bike Light

greenLED

Flashaholic
FenixBikeUse.png

If that really is the great announcement, I'll pass. I was hoping it'd be a bike light system. Also, well designed rear LED blinkers are in short supply, and the bike nuts 'round here have several good ideas floating around.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that really is the great announcement, I'll pass. I was hoping it'd be a bike light system. Also, well designed rear LED blinkers are in short supply, and the bike nuts 'round here have several good ideas floating around.

Ditto. I was also hoping for some bargain priced alternative to the Lupine class of super bright multi Cree or Seoul bike lights. Hmmm....we ought to flip this idea to Kai! Maybe, he can make us a $100 Wilma or something great like that. I've got complete faith that he can do it, considering that butt-kickin' 3xSSC light he's selling for $39.99 -- I've got one, and it's amazing --, and that super AAA SSC "buckle" light that is super bright and only a mere $15.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
FenixBikeUse.png

Sorry to let you guys down. But the announcement is the bike mount, not
a lighting systems sorry :(

I have yet to handle one of these but I will report when they come in. :)

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Placed my order for one...and some other stuff because who can go to the Fenix-Store and just buy one item for crying out loud???

greenLED

Flashaholic
FenixBikeUse.png

Sorry to let you guys down. But the announcement is the bike mount, not
a lighting systems sorry :(

I have yet to handle one of these but I will report when they come in. :)

Don't get me wrong, that mount looks better than a whole lot of mounts out there. It's just that my flashaholic little heart had high hopes for a bike lighting system.
:popcorn:

Calina

Enlightened
Ditto. I was also hoping for some bargain priced alternative to the Lupine class of super bright multi Cree or Seoul bike lights. Hmmm....we ought to flip this idea to Kai! Maybe, he can make us a $100 Wilma or something great like that. I've got complete faith that he can do it, considering that butt-kickin' 3xSSC light he's selling for $39.99 -- I've got one, and it's amazing --, and that super AAA SSC "buckle" light that is super bright and only a mere $15.

I emailed Kai a month ago about carrying better bike lights and also asked them if they would consider carrying aluminium housing, supports and brackets, so we can make our own lights. It is unfortunate that these are not available since they have everything else to build good bike lights.

A cap (long enough to contain some electronics) that would fit the head of a few lights (so we could get rid of the body) would be great. Something like this https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177697

The answer I got from Dora was that they would look into it but my hopes aren't too high. May be a few more Emails from other members would help convince him.

vkan

Newly Enlightened
Now the question: do they make versions for both 25.4/26.0mm and 31.8mm bars, since many bikes now come with 31.8mm.

Even with 31.8mm bars, only the clamping area near the stem is that size, with the rest of the bars significantly smaller. Still, mounting near the center would be good.

And for short wheelbase recumbent riders, having something that goes up to about 32mm would perfect for clamping to the derailleur post (basically a faux seat tube).

If it were available up to about 32-33mm, I'd probably buy a few. Then it could also be clamped around the spacers underneath a threadless stem (kinda like the picture on fenix-store.com that shows a light clamped to the quill stem on a theaded headset.

denmikseb

Newly Enlightened
Thats an excellent idea. I still run a Vistalite tail, since it has the 'knight rider' back and forth LED mode. Blinking tail lights are terrible for motorists. I sounds like a great idea to get their attention, but a lot of tests have shown drivers aim towards those lights, especially when tired.
Is there any proof of that? I also have heard stories of tired or drunk motorists being attracted to blinking bike taillights, but have not found any studies, police reports, etc to verify that. I think it is an "old wive's tale", but would like to see true reports, if there are any.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
Is there any proof of that? I also have heard stories of tired or drunk motorists being attracted to blinking bike taillights, but have not found any studies, police reports, etc to verify that. I think it is an "old wive's tale", but would like to see true reports, if there are any.

There is something called 'target fixation'. A lot of motorcyclists would be aware of this phenomenon. Essentially, you focus on a 'target' and end up hitting it. I've never heard of 'fixing' on a red flashing taillight but it sounds reasonable.

Back on topic: I must buy a couple of these for my son. They are very reasonably priced and no big deal if they get stolen.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is something called 'target fixation'. A lot of motorcyclists would be aware of this phenomenon. Essentially, you focus on a 'target' and end up hitting it. I've never heard of 'fixing' on a red flashing taillight but it sounds reasonable.
QUOTE]

"Target fixation" may have originated in military aviation. When dropping bombs from planes, especially in shallow angle dive bombing, the pilot can focus too much on getting the correct airspeed, dive angle, etc., and overlook the correct altitude for bomb release. When I was in the Marines, working on planes, my squadron lost a pilot for this very reason.

Returning to the general issue of people driving into things that they are looking at.... seems reasonable. It happens to police cars all the time, they say. My guess is that cyclists would do best with lights that are visible, and identify the light as "bike rider". Then motorists wouldn't need to keep looking at the light while they try to figure out what it is ("is that a barricade warning of a hazard?"). I think pedal reflectors would do the best to tell motorists that the object is a bike. The motion of the pedals gets attention, and is very unique.

And back to the main topic: I do use a Fenix while biking, but it's just kept in my back pocket for use when I get a flat tire.

Steve K.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Planet Bike Superflash running constant on and two flashers with it. The bright solidly lit rear light informs the driver I am not a road repair barricade and my reflective tape and reflective sidewalls pick up the flasher and pulse also.

For some reason, people comment how obvious I am when riding down the road and it works well.

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened

I've also heard that and have never seen any data to back up the claim. Wish I had some for you, and for myself.

Off the original topic but related to choosing modes... When I was trying to decide what mode to use, I considered the following: Compared to steady mode, flashing mode is fairly well known as being bicycle-specific and it attracts the eye more easily. I don't know whether flashing actually causes target fixation in drunken or tired motorists, but I do know that when I'm driving I find it harder to judge the distance of a flashing light compared to a steady light. With that in mind, I concluded that the "chase" mode might actually be useful, since always has one light on, but also has some "motion" to it. So I set my TL-LD1000 with one bank on steady and the other bank on "chase", as the best balance between high output and eye-catchiness without flashing.

rdhfreethought

Newly Enlightened

From Wikipedia:
"In many countries, LED flashers are the norm for rear lights. In others such as Germany flashing lights are forbidden by law. In the UK flashing LEDs (front and rear) are legal from October 2005"

The UK flashers were made legal since many of the LED tailights made only had a flashing mode. You were originally supposed to only use the Solid mode if you had a taillight capable of solid mode.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm

I did find several references to the debates of flashing vs not flashing. (tracking and depth perception issues for flashing, vs 'non=motorist' identifier for flashing, also better distance for equivalent lumens)

I was not able to find primary research, I would presume that the Germans and Brit knew what they were doing when they outlawed (or initially outlawed) flashing bike lights. Perhaps someone can find some primary research data from a transportation study (NHTSA.org or some such)

mechBgon

Enlightened
When I was trying to decide what mode to use, I considered the following: Compared to steady mode, flashing mode is fairly well known as being bicycle-specific and it attracts the eye more easily. I don't know whether flashing actually causes target fixation in drunken or tired motorists, but I do know that when I'm driving I find it harder to judge the distance of a flashing light compared to a steady light.

I agree with the observations I bolded, and I also add this one: bicycle lights are so small that it's hard to gauge their range regardless of the mode they're in. For me, anyway.

A couple methods of overcoming that:

1) use multiple lights which are mounted some distance apart, e.g. a decent blinkie hard-mounted to the bike and another clipped to the rear of the helmet or messenger bag/backpack; or having one taillight hard-mounted on the centerline of the bike and two more clipped to the left & right panniers. As the observer gets closer, the lights diverge, giving a natural distance cue by triangulation, even when the lights are blinking. This also gives you redundancy and 2x-3x the overall lights to grab attention with.

2) supplement the active lights with passive visibility gear to "fill in the blanks" and give size and shape to what the lights are attached to. Passive gear is inherently limited, since it relies on external sources of light which may or may not be available, but for routinely riding in low-visibility situations with traffic, you generally want every advantage you can reasonably get! :tinfoil:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the observations I bolded, and I also add this one: bicycle lights are so small that it's hard to gauge their range regardless of the mode they're in.

Well put!
The point of bicycle lighting is for other folks (drivers) to SEE you, CALCULATE your distance from them and AVOID hitting you. Consider that it is your butt that will die if they hit you, the responsibility to make you look so screamingly obvious is yours!
I use a flashing helmet light so drivers know my height. (auto-leveling Planet Bike 3 LED) the Cateye 10 LED flasher is flashing on my left side to indicate width and drivers can triangulate my distance from them. Since I am in Florida, the age of the tourists and their ability to not understand traffic forces a third light. The Planet Bike SuperFlash "1/2 watt" LED running in SOLID output (not flashing) Even a pharmacutically half-crazed, half-blind person driving a 5 ton vehicle 5 years past what their abilities should allow will notice me.
Forget being PC in Florida, this place is completely insane and the snowbirds are invading. I stick to side streets and get remarks about my over abundance of lights that scream "I AM A BICYCLE, DON'T RUN ME OVER!"
The Planet Bike SuperFlash runs on Sanyo Eneloop AAA cells so it works well. The other flashers use lithium AAA/AA cells and run forever. I have boosted my helmet light output from a L1D P3 to a L2D RB100 since the tourists are out and about.

Last edited:

Latest posts