New Fenix Headband -- 440 lumens on your head!

Gaffle

Enlightened
Feel dorky about wearing a headlamp?? I wear mine all the time. Taking out the garbage for example.

You can feel dorky about wearing a headlamp as long as you don't have 3+ lights attached to your belt, and a cell phone, and a knife, etc.

To topic, a real headlamp would be very nice. Light on the side of your face probably would blind you with spill, if it was short, as someone already said.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
forget the headband, me wants a Fenix headlamp!! :D

I have no need for this strap. Attaching two L2D's to the sides of my caving helmet only requires a couple of zip ties.

But it is encouraging that Fenix has made one step towards an actual headlamp by making a strap.

glenda17

Enlightened
Taking out the garbage for example.

I do the same thing. Working the graveyard shift means I do a lot in the dark even when off work. My headlap now is a cheap plastic Cree from DX. I would really like a quality headlamp. I am not sure this fenix would be floody enough.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALMOST as nice as the 1.21 gigawatt version.

DocBrownB61406.jpg

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the NiteIze head band and the having the light at the side at eye level, especially with the larger torches like the L2D Q5, it is a bit on the glarey side. The peripheral vision catches the spill and its annoying. The smaller torches like the E01 or L0D works a lot better.

I find that the L2D works a lot better on top of the head. I should take a picture of my short peaked cap with two elastic loops sewn across the top. It carrys the L2D quite well but the cap moves a bit with the elastic. Ideally, an adjustable mount would look better but the short peaked cap is easily folded.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I like the idea. I keep a L1D in the car for emergencies, and this would be good to keep with it.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm

fenix needs to come up with the headlamp NOW...

or everone is going to get bored and order a zebralight.

If that strap is the best offer, then im glad i bought the zebra light....

come on fenix!

Crenshaw

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I've used the NiteIze head band and the having the light at the side at eye level, especially with the larger torches like the L2D Q5, it is a bit on the glarey side. The peripheral vision catches the spill and its annoying. The smaller torches like the E01 or L0D works a lot better.

I find that the L2D works a lot better on top of the head. I should take a picture of my short peaked cap with two elastic loops sewn across the top. It carrys the L2D quite well but the cap moves a bit with the elastic. Ideally, an adjustable mount would look better but the short peaked cap is easily folded.

The big problem with the NiteIze headband is the position. For a headlamp you need the light pointed more down for camp use. I employ a Jakstrap with E01. To overcome the glare I adjust it over a bit. Glare is a big problem with most headbands and some headlamps too. The Jakstrap adjusted has very little glare. Never tried it my L2D Q5. Also it is made for very thin lights so not certain it would fit the AA size but may test this out.

100_9018.jpg

Maybe the Fenix headband with a L2D Q5 on the side and an Aurora or Tikka plus taken off its band and added to the front of the Fenix headband for a flood light might be nice. A bit like a 180 lumen Apex at maybe the same weight. I wonder if Fenix didn't give up on the whole headlamp idea and the fenix headband is the by product of their efforts. Don't know but if the price is right I may just get the headband to play around with it.

Last edited:

knoral

Newly Enlightened
It's a bit odd (goofy if you must) but overall it's really nice Headband. I would like to see who could MOD this headband to sometime spectacular. :twothumbs:candle::laughing::poof:

Woods Walker

I got the Jakstrap from EMS for about 6 bucks. Not bad for something made in the USA not that there is much to it. Glare is a real problem with most headbands. Works good with the E01 if pushed over a bit. The E01 has more light than one would expect in the dank woods. I wonder if the flicker of the LOD type lights would be an issue with a headband setup?That is my next addition to this. May go with the Leatherman LOD type light do to the clicky. The twisty is ok for one mode but I don't think I would like to do a double twisty to get low on a LOD for a headlamps. For EDC I don't see a twisty being a problem for multi modes.

Woods Walker

Seems kinda bulky, might as well carry a real headlight that works better. :shrug:

Buy one so it's fair lol.

The runtime/lumen rates on the L2D Q5 are hard to beat. I don't think any headlamp using 2XAA (not a great number of them) or even 3-4xAA can beat it. I could be wrong however. I really would like to see Fenix take the L2D Q5 put 3 or 4 AA in a battery pack or just keep the 2xAA for a more UL headlamp. Remove the Q5 and toss in a warmer tint CREE. Oh man that would be nice. I find the L2D beam has a good mix of throw/flood but maybe a litle more flood for a headlamp couldn't hurt. Beyond the glare issue I kinda like the headband. Still that darn glare would make it a no go if it was a problem.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PT apex is plenty bright (and runs forever) for what I want in a headlamp so I don't know how useful the turbo on l2d is. Also l2d is more throwy than I'd like for headlamp as well.