New Fenix PD35 Ultimate Edition?

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a boost on Turbo only. The old PD35 gives about a 1,000 Lumens on Turbo according to Selfbuilt. Even if this one comes in a bit higher than the stated 960 I doubt you will "see" the difference. What is the point here?

markr6

Flashaholic
They made the low mode even higher, unbelievable...

:ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

On a related note: last night I went out back to check a live trap near my shed (long story). Anyway, the only light I had nearby was the PD32UE on my workbench. I was trying to be stealthy so I wouldn't attract attention from the neighbors. I thought to myself:

1. which of the FIVE modes will this thing turn on first? Trying to remember the last mode is like asking me what I had for breakfast this day last year.
2. Even IF it turn on in low, that's 9 lumens!! About 10x too much!
3. I could turn it on against my clothing or hand then cycle to low, but that's rediculous to have to do this IMO.

I still love the light (for the right use), but give it a low mode and you can remove the part in parentheses!

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
If the new light is only 10% stronger and it takes 25% - 30% more lumens to actually "see" a difference, what is the point here? Are there some new features? The run times are similar. Does anyone know the price of the new light? If they name the new one PD 35 2014 will the previous one be discontinued? It seems to me they'd have to move up to 1500 lumens or 2000 lumens to make a real difference and that's probably impractical in a light/battery system of this size.

kj2

Flashaholic
If the new light is only 10% stronger and it takes 25% - 30% more lumens to actually "see" a difference, what is the point here? Are there some new features? The run times are similar. Does anyone know the price of the new light? If they name the new one PD 35 2014 will the previous one be discontinued? It seems to me they'd have to move up to 1500 lumens or 2000 lumens to make a real difference and that's probably impractical in a light/battery system of this size.

The 'old' PD35 will be discontinued then, yes. Think the update is more a marketing-thing. Price will probably be the same.

cagenuts

Enlightened
Some marketing upstart mentioned in a meeting one day that to get consumers to think the light in question is the latest, they need to add the current year to the name.

Now of course, a total redesign was out of the question, so they sent the light to Vin to mod and it's now called the PD35 UE 2014.

Expect a TK61 UE 2014/5 soon.

markr6

Flashaholic

Your statements/questions are very relevent. Unfortunately very few manufacturers understand this. I would be very surprised if the engineers/designers agree with the marketing people about "high lumens and a million modes = better". I understand why they do it though. In order to convince someone walking thru a store or shopping online that "light X" is better than "light Y", you would have to actually take them in a dark setting and show them a comparion. Otherwise, they're just going after the high numbers. So, that's what sells. What a shame. Luckily there's a lot of good information on this forum and many youtube video reviews for those that care to do more research.

Functional modes, good tint, easy UI, quality >too many modes and "battery-burner" turbo/blast modes.

Just my opinion!!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new name is PD35 2014, not PD35UE 2014?

expect the PD35UE at around Nov/Dec, for pre-xmas sales :)

markr6

Flashaholic
I'll wait for the PD35UE 2015 Q1 v2.1 rev. B MkI, in a neutral white please! :grin2:

feifei

Banned
I am very impressed by the runtime much higher..

Old version

j95j.jpg

New version 2014

x1mw.jpg

maybe the batteries they use for testing is different,otherwise,the new version's runtime can not be so long

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the batteries they use for testing is different,otherwise,the new version's runtime can not be so long

That's a fair thought, because the emitter is the same I think? Otherwise it could be that Fenix changed the circuit so it could reach such a better runtimes until 10% of initial brightness, but not better(maybe shorter) runtime at full output. Well; I am looking forward to read some runtime graph comparison.
I am not happy about Fenix proud to support ANSI/NEMA standard. This standard is dishonest!

Last edited:

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
I am very impressed by the runtime much higher..

Old version

j95j.jpg

New version 2014

x1mw.jpg

...and I was wondering why B&H indicates that the PD35 (the old model) is discontinued. :sigh:

--DragonLord

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
Marketing hype for low information types. I'll just keep my PD35 THANK YOU. ;)

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
The run times aren't dramatically longer and only in the mid-range not at the higher end. Besides we'll swap out an 18650 at 3400 mah long before run we need to be concerned about a little more run time.

markr6

Flashaholic
The run times aren't dramatically longer and only in the mid-range not at the higher end. Besides we'll swap out an 18650 at 3400 mah long before run we need to be concerned about a little more run time.

I agree. I'd like to see less hype and a more functional light. Specifically, less modes, a low low and a true high mode without all the step downs and burst modes. Beyond the marketing, it really doesn't matter.

I use my PD32UE occasionally and often switch between turbo and burst just to compare. I can hardly tell the difference most of the time. And the burst certainly doesn't let me see anything I'm "missing" with the turbo...it's just a little brighter overall.

We're talking 400lm vs. 740lm here! Sounds huge on paper but it's not.

I would use this light a lot more if it had more reasonable modes. Dump the hype, add a low mode, less trash to cycle thru:

1lm, 80lm, 500lm or something like that. Just my opinion; I'm sure some like a lots of options though. And of course, my recommendation would KILL the marketing departments. So it will never happen. It like taxes; once it's there you can never take it away. Since the 950lumens are there, and needs a low, they're forced to fill everything in between. The gap keeps growing.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I'd like to see less hype and a more functional light. Specifically, less modes, a low low and a true high mode without all the step downs and burst modes. Beyond the marketing, it really doesn't matter.

I use my PD32UE occasionally and often switch between turbo and burst just to compare. I can hardly tell the difference most of the time. And the burst certainly doesn't let me see anything I'm "missing" with the turbo...it's just a little brighter overall.

We're talking 400lm vs. 740lm here! Sounds huge on paper but it's not.

I would use this light a lot more if it had more reasonable modes. Dump the hype, add a low mode, less trash to cycle thru:

1lm, 80lm, 500lm or something like that. Just my opinion; I'm sure some like a lots of options though. And of course, my recommendation would KILL the marketing departments. So it will never happen. It like taxes; once it's there you can never take it away. Since the 950lumens are there, and needs a low, they're forced to fill everything in between. The gap keeps growing.

Very good points. I think the difference between the modes should be significant. I also have PD32UE and depending on the surrounding light conditions I often have problem to know if it's the 400 or 740 level when I turn on the light(which makes me to often cycle throw the levels to know). Especially because the 740 lm level slowly drops when the cell can't hold the regulation any more. When it turns on at 140lm I usually can discern that it isn't the 400lm mode, however.
I would prefer a light without an extreme brightness level(as a result of the lumen race), and that the highest level should not be higher than the cell manages to provide stable output for an hour or so.
Your proposal of 1, 80 and 500lm is good. Or it could be 10, 125 and 500lm. Or 5, 100 and 500...
The best should be if even Fenix would be programmable like Armytek predator and Viking!

Last edited:

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the 14lm minimum is a big turn-off for me. My LD20 starts from 5lm which is okay but can be lower for very dark conditions. Wish it was 2lm or less...

My next flashlight probably will not be a Fenix; instead, I'll be turning to Nitecore for an 18650 light. This is not to say Fenix is bad in general--my LD20 still works after almost three years and a good deal of abuse--but the PD35 is not for me.

One more thing to note: for me, an important factor in choosing a flashlight is local availability, and B&H (yes, the famous camera store!) carries Nitecore as well as Fenix. (note: no affiliation with B&H, I simply get most of my camera gear there and I love the place)

--DragonLord

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
B&H is great. That's weird they sell nice flashlights. I like Fenix quality over all others I've tried, so I'm still hoping they revamp some lights that fit my wish list.