New Fenix PD35 with 18650 question

JK659

Newly Enlightened
I finally bought a light that uses CR123's/18650 cells(most of my other lights are 4sevens AA/AAA powered lights),the Fenix PD35. I have not received it yet but I will in about a week. Anyway the package I bought included a Fenix ARB-L2S 18650, and a Fenix ARE-C1 smart charger. My question is are both the battery and the charger considered good? Would you stick to the ARB-L2S as the main power source or move away from Fenix brand batteries? There are so many 18650 cells, I just want to make sure this cell is a good one. Thanks!

jimbo231

Enlightened
I'd pick up an AW 18650 and use the fenix as a spare ...shouldn't be too bad if you just use that either. I'm not sure what aw's fit the pd35 though. I believe you need a button top cell. Charger should be good.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally bought a light that uses CR123's/18650 cells(most of my other lights are 4sevens AA/AAA powered lights),the Fenix PD35. I have not received it yet but I will in about a week. Anyway the package I bought included a Fenix ARB-L2S 18650, and a Fenix ARE-C1 smart charger. My question is are both the battery and the charger considered good? Would you stick to the ARB-L2S as the main power source or move away from Fenix brand batteries? There are so many 18650 cells, I just want to make sure this cell is a good one. Thanks!

Yes, both of those are decent (wouldn't call the charger good, but it will work fine for your purpose, the cell is definitely good). There is no need to buy another cell, especially not AW, which is poorer value than many other brands. All 3400 mAh 18650s are based on the same Panasonic cell anyway, as far as I know...Fenix has been making cells for years, so I wouldn't have any quality concerns.

You do not need a button top cell in the PD35. In fact, because it has a spring on both ends, and is bored fairly wide, you can use ANY 18650 you want to, protected or unprotected, large or small.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........You do not need a button top cell in the PD35. In fact, because it has a spring on both ends, and is bored fairly wide, you can use ANY 18650 you want to, protected or unprotected, large or small.
I have a bunch of unprotected Panasonic 3400mAh cells (flat tops with no button) and I like the fact that the Fenix PD35 has springs on both end so that I can use them.

My PD35 also came with that charger but I'm selling it as I have other chargers that I prefer.

JK659

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! It arrived today. I charged the battery(took about 2.5 hours from the shipped state) and wow, this light blows away my 4 sevens Quark Pro QP2A-X which was my go to carry light. I still love the fact that it takes 2 AA batteries and is bright enough for most circumstances but...sadly I think I will be carrying it less now :). I do have another question though, compared to alkaline batteries such as in my Quark pro, will this light/18650 run better in cold temperatures in the winter? Run times/brightness take a big hit with the AA lights in winter. Thanks!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not complicate the hobby,use what you have bought,hobbies are spoilt by armchair scientists who think they know better.I do not care less what battery I put in my PD35 ranging from a cheapo non name to an Eagletac costing twice as much as both do the same job and provide light.

jimbo231

Enlightened
Do not complicate the hobby,use what you have bought,hobbies are spoilt by armchair scientists who think they know better.I do not care less what battery I put in my PD35 ranging from a cheapo non name to an Eagletac costing twice as much as both do the same job and provide light.

Ever had a cell explode? Then you'll care

Last edited:

JK659

Newly Enlightened

That is my main concern, safety. I love guns/lights but I have to say if you can reduce your chance of a mishap by buying a cell that is quantitatively safer, I will gladly pay an extra $10 bucks to reduce the chance of a pipe bomb in my pocket from .0005% down to .0002%(just guessing on those numbers). I would not carry a gun with a certain brand of ammunition that would spontaneously touch off through no fault of my own(all you can do is be as safe as possible but the possibility still exists of something going wrong in cell's). I understand your main point though mcnair, getting overly into the semantics of something is mostly BS for most users but in the case of cells that turn flashlights into pipe bombs, it's not semantics at that point. I am new to these batteries and have been reading safety measures on this forum and plan to follow all of them accept checking voltage regularly(I'm not gonna check the voltages before and after charging every single time, it may be the safest way but...crap I just contradicted myself...Ok I'm too lazy to check voltages every time, light turns green, battery is charged :).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Common sense is all you need,anything horrible likely to happen will be printed on the blister pack.Lipo you have more chance of a mishap and the sellers of those generally sell charging bags.

Great hobby to put people off exploding cells leaking Alkies,very poor technology chap.:nana: Just avoid the junk sold on the bay of evil with all the clones and fakes.