*new* Fenix RC15

Patriot

Flashaholic
Too bad about the battery situation. Many manufactures are going to standard 18650's but charging them via micro or mini usb. Apparently, they're ultra committed to that docking/charging station. As I mentioned in the rc10 review, it doesn't really seem like an enthusiast light but more geared to the LE/first responder crowd.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
Well, it doesn't seem to say that.
It seems to say Turbo first.

But even if the UI is Low first, I just could never buy this light for the other reasons I mentioned.
This is definitely one of the ugliest looking lights that I have ever seen in my entire life.
I like the looks of many Fenix lights, but not this one.

so...you don't like the way it looks?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not adverse to the design of this light but it certainly isn't the best looking one in their line up. Side switches are a personal thing and I like them. The aesthetics aside I can't say I'm impressed by having a turbo of 860 and a high of 350 lumens. It seems to me that the large drop from turbo to high is too much and reduces what could of been a useful light into something for which I personally would now have less use. When you consider that the Nitecore EA4 (which can run quite happily on rechargeable batteries) runs at over 500 lumens on high then this light seems to be inferior. Of course it may be by the time it comes to market that they revise some of the levels but as it stands it won't be on my shopping list! :(

Really? In my humble opinion there is not that much real world difference between the 250-500 lumen range. At least visually not enough to have more than one mode somewhere in that range. For example I would not get a light that had a mode at 250 lumens and then also at 350 lumens. 350 lumens is suddenly not acceptable for the "high mode"? Wow.... sheesh.... a few years ago 350 lumens WAS the turbo mode on only a few lights before the xm-l emitter. The real differences where come at the lower end in my opinion. You need a 3 lumen/40 lumen/150-250 lumen range or so... then blast out whatever you want at the high end... aka ~1000 lumens on the newest xm-l emitters.

Last edited:

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Begins shipping 3/25/13.
$135 shipped to US addresses for BF members. That's over 28% off retail and 10% off our listed price. Free shipping to anywhere in the USA.
Use coupon code "RC15_CPF".
If you are LEO, please contact us.
http://shaologear.com/products/fenix-rc15
ShaoloGear_Fenix_Lighting_RC15_1_1024x1024.png

You have questions? I have answers: http://shaologear.com/pages/about-us

Found this post on Bladeforums. (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...chargeable-flashlight?p=11990286#post11990286)

ShaoloGear

Newly Enlightened

That post might also be in the cpfmarketplace. Maybe. ;-)

I finally had a chance to play with these. They came in today. Very sweet. Definitely aimed toward heavy use IMO. The battery is the special Fenix rechargeable. It may be proprietary, but for someone who is in a hurry, I think it's great. Both ends are the same, so you can put the battery in either direction. The end cap has no part in the operation of the light and is anodized inside and out. The instant on strobe takes probably 500ms to actually come on, but it's a neat feature. Strobe turns off immediately after releasing the button.

Beam wise the spot in the center is very tight, with good ambient flood at the edges. Tint wise it seems like it has a slight hint of purple.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
That post might also be in the cpfmarketplace. Maybe. ;-)

I finally had a chance to play with these. They came in today. Very sweet. Definitely aimed toward heavy use IMO. The battery is the special Fenix rechargeable. It may be proprietary, but for someone who is in a hurry, I think it's great. Both ends are the same, so you can put the battery in either direction. The end cap has no part in the operation of the light and is anodized inside and out. The instant on strobe takes probably 500ms to actually come on, but it's a neat feature. Strobe turns off immediately after releasing the button.

Beam wise the spot in the center is very tight, with good ambient flood at the edges. Tint wise it seems like it has a slight hint of purple.

Is the battery sold with it?

I love the notion of rechargeable...

Last edited:

ShaoloGear

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the whole kit and caboodle.

Light, battery, cigarette lighter plug, wall plug, and cradle in a hard shell case.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
Played with one today at my local shop (while picking up an LD12 G2). Nice, but expensive for what you get.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
I really like this type of 'socket' reachargeable flashlights, it's very nice you can just leave it in there en when you need it just pull it out!
Not only usefull in the cupboard(?? I used google translate for it, dont know the name in english, for the dutch guys here I mean 'meterkast').
When the power falls out just reach the flashlight, you always knows that it has a full charge!
But it's also usefull for company's when there is an emergency, or ofcourse for the security guys.

celler

Newly Enlightened
<snip>it's very nice you can just leave it in there en when you need it just pull it out!<snip>

I know that this design is made to do what you suggest, but I never leave a lithium battery in the charger after the charge cycle is complete. I'm sure there are alll sorts of safety measures built in to the Fenix charger, but when dealing with lithium, I feel better with it disconnected. I see no benefit to leaving it on the charger as lithium has very low self-discharge properties. A top off every three months or so should be sufficient for a flashlight that is not used. Also, heat is the enemy of battery life, so the less heat I subject it to (in the charger), the longer it should last. YMMV.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I really like this type of 'socket' reachargeable flashlights, it's very nice you can just leave it in there en when you need it just pull it out!
Not only usefull in the cupboard(?? I used google translate for it, dont know the name in english, for the dutch guys here I mean 'meterkast').
When the power falls out just reach the flashlight, you always knows that it has a full charge!
But it's also usefull for company's when there is an emergency, or ofcourse for the security guys.

Hi Thijsco,
I think most will understand that with "cupboard" you mean the place where the "electricity and gas meters" are.
In the Netherlands it is normally a place with a door, as large as a cabinet or a wardrobe.
Many other country's have different solutions.

In that place I keep an old SF E2e with cr123 LiIon batteries.

CIMG3419-M.jpg

They useally have a shelf time of 10 years. Enough for me, but a rechargeable will work very well to.
I don't know if there is enough experience with the 18650's to know what the life span is.

Rechargeables, if build to the right requirements, are a good solution for job's like LEO, Fire departments, SAR etc.

I have the RC10 in my mobile home on 12v. It only gets a charge when I start the engine (when I ride it) so every few months or so.
Works perfectly and has 7 times more lumens than the E2e.
Both different jobs and both installed in the right place :D

Last edited:

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
Hi Thijsco,
I think most will understand that with "cupboard" you mean the place where the "electricity and gas meters" are.
In the Netherlands it is normally a place with a door, as large as a cabinet or a wardrobe.
Many other country's have different solutions.

In that place I keep an old SF E2e with cr123 LiIon batteries.

CIMG3419-M.jpg

They useally have a shelf time of 10 years. Enough for me, but a rechargeable will work very well to.
I don't know if there is enough experience with the 18650's to know what the life span is.

Rechargeables, if build to the right requirements, are a good solution for job's like LEO, Fire departments, SAR etc.

I have the RC10 in my mobile home on 12v. It only gets a charge when I start the engine (when I ride it) so every few months or so.
Works perfectly and has 7 times more lumens than the E2e.
Both different jobs and both installed in the right place :D
That is exactly what I meant! Thanks! :twothumbs

Nice to have some Dutch guys around here :).

ShaoloGear

Newly Enlightened
We Americans know what you mean by cupboard. We use the same terminology. Some people have just heard horror stories about Lithium Ion batteries and are IMO, overly cautious.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
I just tried out my rc15 this evening. I'm impressed with its size and power. I must say, I compared it to my 2d maglite with the 700 lumen terralux and the terralux looks to be brighter. I'll have to do some throw tests tomorrow evening and make sure. I was limited to about 300 feet this evening. I still love the light though, the RC10 docking station is mounted in my truck and I am using it for the RC15. It's really handy.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
I can perform the test to compare the RC10, RC15, 700 lum 2D mag, and a 1000 lum 4D mag. The nice thing about the RC15 is its rechargeable and the its much smaller than the mags. Even though that 2D mag is running AA batts.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Test results are in. This test was performed at 75yards which was measured with a Leupold range finder.

Pic one is the RC10
eta2eru5.jpg

Pic two is a 2D maglite with 6 AA batts and a terralux 700 lum
e9u3yjaj.jpg

Pic three is the RC15
a6a5yza3.jpg

Pic four is a 4D maglite with a rechargeable pack and a 1000 lum terralux
ju8y5a2e.jpg

The RC15 looked brighter in person than pic shows but still not as bright as the two maglites

Last edited:

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Test two was performed with a light meter

Pic one is the RC10
vyhyze7y.jpg

Pic two is the same 2D maglite as used before
una3uqet.jpg

Pic three is the RC15
3ape2uge.jpg

Pic four is the same 4D maglite used above
eja6y9yz.jpg

Very surprising results. The RC15 wins here big.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Funny, the first set of pictures actually makes the RC15 look like it's the under performer but there's obviously a lot of flood in that beam.

P.S. your pictures appear on my screen as 1024x768. If it's not just my settings, you might want to resize them 800x600 before the mods see it. Just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

Last edited:

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Funny, the first set of pictures actually makes the RC15 look like it's the under performer but there's obviously a lot of flood in that beam.

P.S. your pictures appear on my screen as 1024x768. If it's not just my settings, you might want to resize them 800x600 before the mods see it. Just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

I guess I'm too new to catch what you are hinting at. Are there rules on pixel size? I just upload them from my IPhone. I don't think I have an option to resize. I'll check thou. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: