*new* Fenix UC35: micro-usb rechargeable, max 960 lumens

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
The mini usb was much better if they had to go USB.

While mini-USB has a slight durability advantage, it isn't nearly as ubiquitous. Pretty much every phone is sold with a micro-USB port (except that fruity phone) while mini-USB appears to be in steady decline.

Last edited:

spankone

Enlightened
I fully agree. It would be far better if the light had a magnetic chargeing port instead.

I disagree it's far better having a universal type of charging rather than a proprietary charging cable that you can lose or damage and have to wait ages to source a replacement.

I know if I lose this cable I'll have a spare kicking about.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this pretty much a PD35 with charging built in?
I don't get my lights wet, but this charging solution is kinda cool

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I disagree it's far better having a universal type of charging rather than a proprietary charging cable that you can lose or damage and have to wait ages to source a replacement.

I know if I lose this cable I'll have a spare kicking about.

If one lose the original cable or charging unit on a light with magnetic charging port, then one can always take out the 18650 battery from the light and charge it in an ordinary charger until one have a replacement,so i don´t see it as a problem.

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
If one lose the original cable or charging unit on a light with magnetic charging port, then one can always take out the 18650 battery from the light and charge it in an ordinary charger until one have a replacement,so i don´t see it as a problem.

Not when you are traveling, on vacation, or on the job. (or do you carry a 18650 charger everywhere you go?).
I've had a few instances where started the day w/ a full charge and ran it down before I was back home. Not saying I'll buy one, but definitely nice to have the option for a more generic charge option. And I'd say it is more convenient to be able to put the EDC light in the same pile of charging cell phones and not have to have a 18650 charger.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for people who only have one light or so this would a be a great light to charge next to a phone. I kind of wish the cover for the port was like the little sliding cover on some of the new Olight rechargeable lights. This is fine though as long as it's not a flappy cover that doesn't stay closed.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah this does seem like a great travel light. Just buy a few generic micro usb cables that plug into wall chargers/car ports/usb ports and you are good to go. Close to 200 lumens for 9 hours is great.

Don't most of those smaller to large solar power "mats" have usb ports? You could surely charge this light using one of those so it's a great option for camping maybe if you just want a light like this (and of course another backup) but also have one of those solar chargers for other devices. I have one of those external car jumpers (lead acid) that actually has a usb port for charging devices so this light could be charged off that too if necessary. It's a big battery so it probably wouldn't drain it that much if I needed to charge it once and the big battery was completely full.

Oh, I just saw they made the switch change color for charging. Nice feature.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer the micro USB to any sort of proprietary cable. Yeah, it may not be the most robust solution, but it is so incredibly convenient that it makes up for that in my use. I already have USB cables to charge my other devices around the house, in the car, and at work, and a light that is more convenient gets much more use from me than a light that's more robust.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to the picture the light seems to be in water without the rubber USB sealing

Read the picture, that's what it says. "Waterproof to 2 meters for 30 minutes even if the anti-dust cover is unplugged." Someone already pointed out that the mistake was the reversal of the image.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of no use to me,silly idea for a torch as the micro usb are not the best in long term reliability with broken wires and fittings.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of no use to me,silly idea for a torch as the micro usb are not the best in long term reliability with broken wires and fittings.

To be fair, my phone is a flip phone I've had for probably 5 years with a micro usb charging cable. No problem at all and I charge it every day basically. It's not going to be knocked around much if you are careful when charging so I personally don't see it as being that big of a weak point.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

May be a good gift for the non flashaholoc

Heck yeah. A "pocket" light that you can recharge on the same cable you charge your phone with and puts out 1000ish lumens? Aww yeah. I think usb micro is okay if done right. I personally just wish the covers were a little more robust. Again I think the Olight "sliding" usb covers are pretty slick. Integrates nicely into the light body and isn't flimsy.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Not when you are traveling, on vacation, or on the job. (or do you carry a 18650 charger everywhere you go?).
I've had a few instances where started the day w/ a full charge and ran it down before I was back home. Not saying I'll buy one, but definitely nice to have the option for a more generic charge option. And I'd say it is more convenient to be able to put the EDC light in the same pile of charging cell phones and not have to have a 18650 charger.

Actually i do that!:) In my edc bag i always carry a single bay mini charger capable of charging 1x18650 battery. And in the rare cases i should not, i still always carry a backup light. Well, i guess that choosing a light with or without a micro charging port is a matter of personal preference.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's a good point too. You can charge 18650's for this light normally, but if you need to for cars/vacations/etc. you have the extra option to charge by micro usb.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair, my phone is a flip phone I've had for probably 5 years with a micro usb charging cable. No problem at all and I charge it every day basically. It's not going to be knocked around much if you are careful when charging so I personally don't see it as being that big of a weak point.

Heck yeah. A "pocket" light that you can recharge on the same cable you charge your phone with and puts out 1000ish lumens? Aww yeah. I think usb micro is okay if done right. I personally just wish the covers were a little more robust. Again I think the Olight "sliding" usb covers are pretty slick. Integrates nicely into the light body and isn't flimsy.

I would agree i have had no issues with my phone(s) but tablets are another issue,some tablets on the market are having terrible charging problems with the android industry standard micro usb,the Apple system has a few walking wounded as well.

I have an 18650 recharge light which has a far more robust large Nokia(old) type plug in lead and takes very little space even if i was travelling.