New Foursevens Burst Mode Lights

jcw122

Enlightened
Who else got the e-mail from Foursevens that appears to have been intended for Dealers/Distributors?

Dear valued Dealers and Distributors,
Please do not release this to the public yet - the announcement in this email is exclusive to Dealers and Distributors for pre-ordering. We will announce it to the public next week.
We are pleased to announce that we have added a new feature associated with the Max setting to a select number of our models - the Burst mode! This means that when switched to Max setting, flashlights with this feature will burst with a massive increase in output for the first 60 seconds and then will ramp down over 30 seconds to 50% of the initial output. These flashlights are now capable of producing incredibly high lumens without affecting their runtimes! The exact amount of increase will depend on the model.
The reduction in output after 60 seconds is to prevent the LED from overheating as well as extending battery life and usable runtime. Furthermore, studies have shown that since the eye perceives light intensity on a logarithmic scale, it actually takes four times the output for the eyes to see double the output. The difference between the full output of the Burst mode and 50% of Burst mode will not be that significant but runtime will more than double.
Higher voltages are needed for the Burst mode - therefore only models that use 6v (two lithium) and 4.2v (large lithium ion cells) will have the Burst mode. It would be possible for alkalines at 3v, but it would be for even shorter periods of time and it will significantly impact runtime. The following models are available with the new Burst mode feature:

These are available immediately and will ship during this time to Dealers and Distributors only. To reflect this exciting development, these flashlights will have the same refreshed packaging as the Preon PenLights. They will be considered as New Products and will have new SKUs.
We expect these flashlights to be in high demand. Please submit your orders as soon as possible to ensure you get in on the first shipment of these lights!

Last edited:

JulianP

Enlightened
I got one too. I guess I've been promoted to dealer or distributor. I can't wait for promotional samples to demonstrate to my customers. :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops!

Burst mode seems useful enough on paper - I wonder how it will play in real life.

Is it just me or are those model names pure jibberish? I have no idea what those lights are without having to go to their website to find out.

wjv

Enlightened
Meah!

Using the Maelstrom MM-X for example:

Moonlight: 0.5 lumens, 25 days
Low: 32 lumens, 21 hrs
Medium: 250 lumens, 3.7 hrs
High: Burst at 900 lumens, 1 minute
then 450 lumens, 1.5 hrs

That's a big jump going from 250 -> 900

I'd prefer to be able to select the 450 myself without having to go through the 900 first. .

High: 450 lumens, 1.5 hrs
Turbo: 900 lumens, X minutes then auto powers down to 450

jcw122

Enlightened
Oops!

Burst mode seems useful enough on paper - I wonder how it will play in real life.

Is it just me or are those model names pure jibberish? I have no idea what those lights are without having to go to their website to find out.

Yeah I hate their new naming scheme...it was part of their rebrand to appear as a higher end brand (kind of like how high end cars have indiscernible letter-number names).

tolkaze

Enlightened
That's a big jump going from 250 -> 900

I'd prefer to be able to select the 450 myself without having to go through the 900 first. .

Yeah, when I got the email, I got really excited, surely they would have moonlight --> low --> medium --> high --> max --> boost max --> special

If we can choose Max separate to boost, then i'm all over these. Then again, I generally use max for less than a minute at a time anyway, so might be an instant sale regardless

Etsu

Enlightened

High: 450 lumens, 1.5 hrs
Turbo: 900 lumens, X minutes then auto powers down to 450

Meh, if 250 lumens won't do, then I probably want the maximum output possible. So, their burst-mode scheme seems fine to me. Pity it doesn't work with AA NiMH, though.

Don't they already have a burst mode, in their current models? I thought there was an automatic step down after 3 minutes. It's not 50%, something like 25%?

So is this new burst mode replacing the old burst mode? Or is there still a 3-minute step-down on top of it?

Swede74

Enlightened
I'd much rather have a number of fixed output levels, and a "boost button" which if you press and hold it gives you a burst for as long as you hold it down. If you press it for more than X seconds continuously, the light steps down to the highest fixed level. If you re-press the boost button within Y minutes, you only get Z seconds of full power before step-down. The values of X, Y and Z are for Fourseven's skilled engineers to determine :)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who else got the e-mail from Foursevens that appears to have been intended for Dealers/Distributors?
I saw that disclaimer but assumed it was a marketing ploy to suggest that consumers were getting "insider" information.

Of course first thing I thought was "I wonder if they stole that idea from HDS Systems?" HDS lights have featured a burst mode for years.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd much rather have a number of fixed output levels, and a "boost button" which if you press and hold it gives you a burst for as long as you hold it down. If you press it for more than X seconds continuously, the light steps down to the highest fixed level. If you re-press the boost button within Y minutes, you only get Z seconds of full power before step-down. The values of X, Y and Z are for Fourseven's skilled engineers to determine :)
:sssh: , I agree with you, but we are supposed to not release info and discuss for another week. :devil:
GL

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't they already have a burst mode, in their current models? I thought there was an automatic step down after 3 minutes. It's not 50%, something like 25%?
Hi Estu,
Were You thinking of the Thermal regulation of the MMU(S12), MMU-X(X10), and the MMU-HD(X18) that will step down the output as needed gradually to keep the LED package from over heating, causing damage, or self descructing :D
This announcement is new, features Higher Max output with a step down to regular Max after a predetermined amount of time in some models that do not include thermal regulation. My understanding is that it will not be selectable, come on initially in place of the current Max. I guess the real test will be to see if turning the light off, then on again will reset and go back to turbo Max. :thinking:
GL

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the email too, I think it's nice to see Quark adding some umph to there line. I prefer there lower voltage heads but these maybe to hard to pass up

Pizza-Driver

Newly Enlightened
Burst mode would be awesome for my pizza delivery side job. Since you might toggle the light a few times briefly on a street to spot addresses on a mailbox or house for each delivery. The instant high brightness might have a defensive security benefit too.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burst Mode seems like a worthy feature and I'm glad to see it but the way Foursevens is presenting this it seems heavy on the marketing aspect and it sort of comes across as a proprietary feature that is new and unique to Foursevens. But haven't we seen this feature before in other lights? One example that immediately comes to mind is the new Zebralight SC52w I received recently. As most of us know, when using a 14500 it comes on at 500 lumens for 60 seconds before stepping down to its default at 280 Lm. Sound familiar? Rather than give the feature a name Zebra simply mentions it discreetly as one of the capabilities of the light.

Last edited: