New from Maxpedition - SHOT Show pics

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hi everyone, I wanted to share some grabshot photos of upcoming and future Maxpedition products I got to see at the SHOT Show in Vegas:

Let's start with the Jumbo, a larger version of the Fatboy that will come out this year in an S-type body

max_vegas_02.jpg

Here it is compared to the Fatboy, shown upper in the pic

max_vegas_01.jpg

It's great, cuz I can't tell ya how many times I think, geez, I wish my Fatboy was just a little bit larger.

As you can see, this prototype has a water bottle mesh pocket on the side, but that might change for more attachment points. It has locking buckles, which is pretty darn clever! Also, the final version may have a big pocket on the back, that lies against your body, that can fit a firearm!

Got some more pics later!

daloosh

03lab

Enlightened
Cool, thanks for posting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Did you also get to check out the Devildog and Toadstool?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Dude, I know you've been waiting for some pics, thanks for yer patience! I'm working on a few of the Monsoon, a one strap over the shoulder pack...

daloosh

DaveT

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics Daloosh - that's looking like right down my alley. I've REALLY been wanting my Fatboy to be a bit larger.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my gosh. Tactical Nylon Overload. Someone stop me from killing my wallet.... Please, someone, tell me when it will be available. Good grief, its perfect. I was interested in the Fatboy, but didn't think it would be big enough and was leaning toward the Baby Condor, but this is more my thing.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if a small laptop will fit in there. I know the new "handtop" computers will, which will be fantastic. This thing will be my new backpack. Is it still waist wearable? I hope so, and I hope you can use a leg strap to secure it as well. I am officially flipping out now.

What will it cost?

03lab

Enlightened
Wow, now that one is completely new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm still trying to figure it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
eh, I don't like that one too much. Its too odd a shape. Not that some people won't find it useful for something.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Well, KDOG3, the Monsoon reminds me of that Oakley bag, but without a million weird buckles and stuff.

This one's the Typhoon, and it's also one-strap over the shoulder, but more traditional:

max_vegas_06.jpg

max_vegas_07.jpg

max_vegas_08.jpg

That's all folks!

daloosh

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks kinda like the falcon but with just one shoulder strap and a belt strap. Use malice clips to attatch an M1 or M2 to the shoulder strap and it will balance it out a little better in my opinion. I like that better than the Monsoon, but nowhere NEAR as much as the Jumbo Fatboy. Me want. Now. (insert Homer Simpson drooling here)

Deanster

Enlightened
Thanks much Daloosh! - love the Typhoon.... the Monsoon is a little too 'hip' for my taste, but I bet some folks will like it. The Typhoon looks perfect - I keep on wanting something that's bigger than a Fatboy, but set up like a Falcon - looks like I'm not the only one!

The Jumbo will be nice, but the Typhoon is really my new fave...

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Daloosh, the zippers on the Monsoon, are they waterproof zippers or the regular kind Maxpedition puts on their other stuff?
That's my main beef with Maxpedition's stuff. Their stuff ain't cheap, but on the vast majority of their bags they don't do anything to waterproof the zippers. Not even a storm flap. If they took care of that on the Jumbo and the Monsoon, I would personally be far more interested.
What say ye?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
You know Erick, I didn't have time to look carefully. However, I recall the zippers on the Monsoon prototype to be different from the regular Maxpedition, maybe less coarse and potentially more waterproof.

Also, on that model, the zippers tuck under a flap, which is better than what happens now, which is rain runs into your bag! That is a problem.

However, I'd say the Typhoon prototype has the regular zipper, but I'm not sure.

Deanster, yer welcome, I know you love the Maxpedition!

daloosh

03lab

Enlightened
Great pics Daloosh, thanks again for posting. The Typhoon and larger Fatboy are great additions IMHO, not so sure about the Monsoon yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed Maxpedition about the Jumbo Fatboy, but they said that all they know for sure is it will be available later this year. Oh, the agony! I wonder when later is....

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I love the Monsoon. I just recently switched to something that's vaguely like the Monsoon (much less tactical-looking) from REI. I like my REI over-the-shoulder-thingie because: it lays flatter against my back, and more comfortable, than a backpack or a Fatboy type pack. It can be swung around front to get stuff out, then just naturally sinks back to my lower back again (unlike a backpack which needs to be taken off, or the Fatboy which doesn't seem to find a "home" on my lower back and keeps drifting). In addition, the REI bag has an anchor point at both ends of the bottom of the bag, so if one shoulder gets tired, and I can re-configure the bag to go on the other shoulder.

Those advantages, I think, are the general advantages that messenger-type bags have over backpacks and the Fatboy-type bags. If the Monsoon is executed well, I'm willing to bet that many people who are excited about the Fatboy, Jumbo F.B. and Typhoon would find that the Monsoon works better for them! Don't judge by the looks -- once you get a messenger-type bag on, you'll learn to appreciate the looks automatically /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I did have one - and hated it. That triangular shape is annoying at best. If you go to put something square in there, say a binder, it will have to be pretty small or it won't fit. Even if it does manage to fit, your left with these small triangular shaped areas that are pretty much dead areas. I was actually happy when I spilled some beef stew in mine (lunch for work) so I could throw it away.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
That sounds interesting, Daloosh. Thanks for answering that. Any chance I could get you to post a larger version of that last shot of the Monsoon? I wanta get a closer look at that zipper.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Actually, I did have one - and hated it. That triangular shape is annoying at best. If you go to put something square in there, say a binder, it will have to be pretty small or it won't fit. Even if it does manage to fit, your left with these small triangular shaped areas that are pretty much dead areas. I was actually happy when I spilled some beef stew in mine (lunch for work) so I could throw it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, thanks. In my enthusiasm for this style of bag, I didn't pay close attention to the shape. No big deal for me, as I don't carry anything that's big and rectangular anything. But if I were a student, or someone trying to carry a laptop, it looks like this wouldn't be a great fit.