New guy here asking a already answered question.......

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at the eagletec d25a2. I do not see a drop rating but I'm assuming it's respectable along with the waterproof rating I seen. Although not built like a tank like the armytec claims to be it seems more user friendly and less gizmo and more gadget. I like how it doesn't have to click for every mode making it quieter when I'm walking to the tree stand. Although red is preferable for that I'll dig deeper into it to find a dedicated one in the future. I do believe I will try the fenix headband.

It seems more practical for me to have a more dedicated hand held then a headlamp. All though I do load and unload at night it's not a consistent thing where as just picking it up or pulling it out of the pocket is. I'll put the headband in a bag or above the visor ( any recommendations for a man purse? I hear Gucci makes quality products...... :) unless anyone else has any other suggestions I do believe I found the combo I am set on after I have looked over all the other lights specially named and suggested.
Thank you everyone :) I'll post pictures when I get the combo in. As I said it might not be till the end of the month. If so I'll make a new thread.
Great choice! I have two D25A2 and love them. One of them is over a year old and it has been dropped, beat, swam with, and covered I every automotive fluid going with no major issues. The only issue I have had is a busted lens from hitting a rock when I dropped it (the lens hit square on the rock). I think you will find the lowest mode plenty sufficient for anything a red light would be used for. This is by far my favorite light. I recommend getting the neutral tint XPG2, I would say get the XM-L2 in neutral but they are now a special order item if still even in production, from illuminationGear and you will have a great light.

As far as a man purse goes I am extremely happy with my Maxpedition G.T.G Versipack. I got mine on a blackfriday sale last year and it's well worth the sale price, I wouldn't have given full price for it. It holds way more than I ever would have thought and the individual first aid pouch fits great in the main compartment and makes for a perfect organizer or smaller grab and go pouch. There are plenty of knock off bags such as UTG, Drago, Condor, and a half dozen other amazon/ebay brands.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a retired driver. My basic light kit was a key light, pocket light, holster light, search light and a couple headlights. Along with a battery box for all my batteries, AA nimhs, cr123s, 18650's and D nimh's. Was a bit less limited than you are space wise and not out as long. Going all AA would be how I would do it now. For limited space a good 2xAA light will cover most of your needs. With the fenix headband, which I have as well, will do as a headlight. The spare battery carrier is nice as well. Would also recommend a 3 to 8 AA light for when you really need to see. Eagletac, Fenix and Nitecore have them. Others as well, but am only familiar with those. For me, the hardest time I had was dealing with ambient light. Street lights, dusk and dawn etc and lighting up building numbers or pre tripping/post tripping under the trailer. Sometimes lesser lights just didn't cut it. Next, with your time out, I'd also recommend a set (enough for each light, and at least one, or better two sets of spares) of nimh cells, good ones like Eneloops and a charger. You have plenty of time to charge some while using others during your breaks of even driving. Will save you money in the long run. Also recommend Illuminationgear. Bought from him before, solid and fast.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
sticking to my 3rd Gen XML2 LED Mag in either 2D or 3D format because they are 50 bucks take readily available alkaline D cells. Also sticking to my TN4A suggestion. You can power the TN4A off readily available alkaline AA, NiMH AA's and Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's.

OP remember that ALL these cells are available for cheap on Battery Junction.com. For example a 2 pack of CR123's cost $15 at CVS but cost $2 each in bulk online. Same goes for other cell types.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Another AA light that seems to fit the bill:
Spark SG5 NW or Spark SG5 CW (depending on tint you prefer)
These models have a removable reflector that can be swapped for a flood or throw reflector as preferred.

There is an excellent review of it and it's sister-light the SG3 here (SG5 is the AA version):
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/24281

They can be picked up for $59 at GoingGear or similar outlets and being an owner of the SF3 myself (among other Spark lights, but the SF3 is near identical to the SG3), I can only highly recommend them...
The lights are IPX8, very simple modes for normal user: Moonlight, Low, Med, High, Turbo, there is no strobe/beacon/signal modes and for my usage that is exactly what I want... a simple on/off and change brightness when needed.

Not sure if you have use for those "hidden" modes on most lights... but if not then I suggest giving the SG5 a look... the tint of the Spark-NW is near perfect... one of the best I have seen, durable, small and look great.
The SG5 comes with a head strap and a pocket-clip so it can be put to use in multiple places too.

I realise I recommend Spark lights a lot on this forum, but I rarely see other people recommending them and I have nothing but good experience with them to date...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
most Sparks are little lights pushing 370 lumens. Yes there are indeed big sparks ranging 780-1000 lumens but they tend to be expensive. Ive always wanted a Spark SP2 but it doesnt do anything my 2015 TK35 doesnt do and they are the same form factor. I will note that the little 370 lumen Sparks were Marshalls(owner of GoingGear)favorite EDC for a long time though. Still we are talking about having to potentially light up a large truck....

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
That was sarcasm about the man purse  I'm simple I just throw everything in a bag. I can't stay organized if my life depended on it.
I seen that the d25 eagletec does sell replacement lenses which makes me happy. Nothing dulls the shin of a light quicker then scratches.
I want the neutral white but I didn't look hard into finding one yet because I'm not ordering at this moment. But your probably right. Probably special order with my luck 

sticking to my 3rd Gen XML2 LED Mag in either 2D or 3D format because they are 50 bucks take readily available alkaline D cells. Also sticking to my TN4A suggestion. You can power the TN4A off readily available alkaline AA, NiMH AA's and Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's.

OP remember that ALL these cells are available for cheap on Battery Junction.com. For example a 2 pack of CR123's cost $15 at CVS but cost $2 each in bulk online. Same goes for other cell types.
I do not mind the mag and I'm sure the run time is excellent but for the price of the mag maybe ten bucks more I can get the d25a2 and it will fit in my pocket and takes batteries that are world wide universal. Plus you can't find d or c cell at stops.
The TN4A is put in my bookmarks for consideration. That will be a time when I'm looking to replace the spot light in a couple months or longer.
I do believe it was you or someone else that had suggested batteryjunction but I know I seen it in here at least once or twice. I'll have to keep that site in mind when getting batteries. Although a fair price on cr123 then I would have to worry about continuously ordering and when your doing ago many other things that something easy to slip my mind if I'm running low and forget to order them before I get home. If there are rechargeable that would mean a whole different charger I would have to carry outside of the aa/aaa charger I currently carry. Thank you for your suggestions :)

I looked at the spark. Looks like a nifty little light. Is simplistic. Looks like it's built well. The output is a little less then half of the d25a2 for the same price. It's not the modes that decide. It's the ultimate rating across the board. If the lumens match up fair to the run time and it is rated fair for robustness then the hidden modes are a bonus. Thank you though :)

As a retired driver. My basic light kit was a key light, pocket light, holster light, search light and a couple headlights. Along with a battery box for all my batteries, AA nimhs, cr123s, 18650's and D nimh's. Was a bit less limited than you are space wise and not out as long. Going all AA would be how I would do it now. For limited space a good 2xAA light will cover most of your needs. With the fenix headband, which I have as well, will do as a headlight. The spare battery carrier is nice as well. Would also recommend a 3 to 8 AA light for when you really need to see. Eagletac, Fenix and Nitecore have them. Others as well, but am only familiar with those. For me, the hardest time I had was dealing with ambient light. Street lights, dusk and dawn etc and lighting up building numbers or pre tripping/post tripping under the trailer. Sometimes lesser lights just didn't cut it. Next, with your time out, I'd also recommend a set (enough for each light, and at least one, or better two sets of spares) of nimh cells, good ones like Eneloops and a charger. You have plenty of time to charge some while using others during your breaks of even driving. Will save you money in the long run. Also recommend Illuminationgear. Bought from him before, solid and fast.

Yes the street lights can become rather bothersome. When I was a tanker I had to use the spot light to locate trailers and do the pretrip around them because a 100 lumen was like a candle in the sun.
acf1dfc07d66e0ba8b55e40097d3b987.jpg

Current battery case I have. Do not know why this one is twenty buy I got it for seven a while back of the net.
I will look at illuminationgear. I have seen other recommend him as well.
Yes cab space is a issue and if I stay in the car hauling side for a while I'll end up in a normal car hauler where they even take the passenger seat out just do you can get to your bed [emoji38] used to drive a Cascadia when I was a tanker. You could throw a party in that thing and still have enough room for the dog. This one I set my drinks on the floorboard because it's about even with the bed being over the motor. Oh well [emoji38] and that's just to many different batteries for one person to carry.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't tell if it was or not as some people don't want to directly admit about carrying a man bag so they joke about it lol.

Illuminationgear is the only place I have found that carries the neutral version of any Eagletac, I know they have the neutral XPG2 D25A2

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't tell if it was or not as some people don't want to directly admit about carrying a man bag so they joke about it lol.

Illuminationgear is the only place I have found that carries the neutral version of any Eagletac, I know they have the neutral XPG2 D25A2

No when I get older and am able to focus more rather then just throw things in a bag I'll get a more organizational bag. Till then I carry a old toiletry bag. My equivalent of a man purse. I'll defiantly look at the site here shortly after I have my coffee [emoji4] Hooked into that free hotel Wi-Fi so I was able to look up almost everything everyone recommended last night.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll keep this short...

• Nothing wrong with AA But you need to switch to rechargeable Eneloop or Eneloop Pro batteries. Keep some Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries on-board for cold-weather/emergencies. Buy alkaline at the truck stop as a last-gasp fallback.
  • Recharge in truck This means a charger or flashlight that connects to your power system. Flashlights like the Nitecore MH20 use an 18650 battery, but have a recharger built into the flashlight that connects via micro-USB.
  • Fenix Headband One drawback is glare from a light by the side of your head, especially if you wear glasses. Your glasses can catch the reflection from the flashlight beam.
  • Right-angle Headlamp Armytek claims the highest drop ratings, but does not subject its flashlights to ANSI FL 1 testing. ZebraLights are tough, but on paper, at least, are not as tough as the Armytek models.
  • Two-is-one, one-is-none You need a backup.
I own the ZebraLight SC62w, a handheld flashlight that I like a lot. One of my next purchases will be a ZebraLight headlamp, the ZebraLight H600Fd Mk. III. After that, another handheld model, the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus. All of these use an 18650 battery.
I agree with this. I'd probably have two lights to start with. I'd go with a Zebralight H600w ,H600Fw, or H600Fd MKIII (one of those 18650 lights) and a Zebralight H52w AA light. Then get a smart charger (allows you to easily charge AA Eneloop and Li-Ion 18650) an 18650 or two and a 2-4 pack of Eneloop Pro AA's, and maybe a pack of Lithium Energizer AA's for the extreme cold. Only use off the shelf alkalines in an emergency situation.

Id stay away from Armytek, they make make claims that are complete lies. Fenix would be my next choice for a more budget ooption.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
No when I get older and am able to focus more rather then just throw things in a bag I'll get a more organizational bag. Till then I carry a old toiletry bag. My equivalent of a man purse. I'll defiantly look at the site here shortly after I have my coffee [emoji4] Hooked into that free hotel Wi-Fi so I was able to look up almost everything everyone recommended last night.
Sounds good. Let us know what ya figure out

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Complete setup with adapter to charge in your truck $103.75 shipped (with discount code: Illumination ). Then later add a backup AA headlamp with some Eneloop rechargeables, and you'd already have the charger.

$89.99 http://www.illumn.com/zebralight-h600fd-iii-high-cri-neutral-white-headlamp.html
$13.99 http://www.illumn.com/nitecore-d2-digicharger.html
$2.50 http://www.illumn.com/12v-dc-car-adapter-for-nitecore-intellicharger.html
$11.99 http://www.illumn.com/18650-keeppower-3400mah-panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-button-top.html

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
most Sparks are little lights pushing 370 lumens. Yes there are indeed big sparks ranging 780-1000 lumens but they tend to be expensive. Ive always wanted a Spark SP2 but it doesnt do anything my 2015 TK35 doesnt do and they are the same form factor. I will note that the little 370 lumen Sparks were Marshalls(owner of GoingGear)favorite EDC for a long time though. Still we are talking about having to potentially light up a large truck....

Well I was sticking with the request info of looking for a 'AA' light, and the Sparks SG5 has just as much output as the Zebralight H52 (both AA batteries, both with same max output of 280lm), if you want something up around the 1000 then you are in 18650 or similar territory, which is a whole different conversation I would have thought.
(Aside: That would have had be recommend the Spark SG6 (the big brother of the SG5) btw... which is a single 18650 with all the same features with >800lm in the NW model)

But I dont think in order to light up the length of the truck in the picture we need to be going up to > 800lm to be honest... unless of course he's a couple hundred meters from his truck and wants to light it up ;) )
If he wants AA form and batteries, then the drawback is lower output... but ~ 300lm is more than enough to light up the area in question I would think... if he wants more then really should be moving to a larger capacity battery IMO

coyoterunfarms93

Newly Enlightened
Well I was sticking with the request info of looking for a 'AA' light, and the Sparks SG5 has just as much output as the Zebralight H52 (both AA batteries, both with same max output of 280lm), if you want something up around the 1000 then you are in 18650 or similar territory, which is a whole different conversation I would have thought.
(Aside: That would have had be recommend the Spark SG6 (the big brother of the SG5) btw... which is a single 18650 with all the same features with >800lm in the NW model)

But I dont think in order to light up the length of the truck in the picture we need to be going up to > 800lm to be honest... unless of course he's a couple hundred meters from his truck and wants to light it up ;) )
If he wants AA form and batteries, then the drawback is lower output... but ~ 300lm is more than enough to light up the area in question I would think... if he wants more then really should be moving to a larger capacity battery IMO
Nope I'm good with the the mid range lumes or so. Like you said anything more is a whole conversation for another time when I want to upgrade the spot light :) I do not need to see the truck from the length of a football field. Sometime I'll like to go back coyote hunting. Family member says the pack is back and he has a herd of goats. Since warmer night weather is coming up I'll get a stronger light in a few months or so.

MX421

Enlightened
Complete setup with adapter to charge in your truck $103.75 shipped (with discount code: Illumination ). Then later add a backup AA headlamp with some Eneloop rechargeables, and you'd already have the charger.

$89.99 http://www.illumn.com/zebralight-h600fd-iii-high-cri-neutral-white-headlamp.html
$13.99 http://www.illumn.com/nitecore-d2-digicharger.html
$2.50 http://www.illumn.com/12v-dc-car-adapter-for-nitecore-intellicharger.html
$11.99 http://www.illumn.com/18650-keeppower-3400mah-panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-button-top.html

+ 1 on the Zebralight and charger type, although the 4 bay charger is roughly 50% more to get 100% more charging capacity. So how fixed is the budget? Since you mention battery case above, I'd look into the powerpax battery cases as well. They have them at illumn and its free shipping when >$100.

Nope I'm good with the the mid range lumes or so. Like you said anything more is a whole conversation for another time when I want to upgrade the spot light :) I do not need to see the truck from the length of a football field. Sometime I'll like to go back coyote hunting. Family member says the pack is back and he has a herd of goats. Since warmer night weather is coming up I'll get a stronger light in a few months or so.

Illumn also carries the D25A2 if thats the route you choose (AA), but it about the same price as a AA Zebralight. If you are good with medium brightness, i'd reconsider the Zebralight SC52w, or better yet, its Headlamp equivalent (280 lumens for the neutral version). I think the Zebralight is much more efficient with batteries. Illumn doesn't have NiMH AAs, but they are available at Battery Junction among others.