New here - Suggestions for upgrades/mods for Maglite 3D LED

adear11

Newly Enlightened
As this is my first ever post on these boards, let me say "Hello" to everyone. I've just recently discovered this place. I am very impressed with the wealth of information that can be found here. And its nice to see such a thriving community of, shall we say, people with something of an insatiable appetite for flashlights :grin2:

Now to my first question. I recently purchased a Maglite 3D LED light. I caught it on sale at Academy Sports for ~$24.00. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any upgrades/mods I can do to it to coax a little more brightness out of this light, and maybe improve the throw. I know its a typical Maglite problem, but the dark spot in the middle of the flood beam is rather aggravating. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I'm open to any suggestions, but know that I've never really done any modding before. So any instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which version of the MagLED do you have? There are two different version of this light: the older one is basically an incandescent MagLite with a LED bulb in the holder. You can even take the spare incandescent bulb out of the tail cap and replace the LED if you want to. The newer one has a newer, more efficient emitter and a deeper reflector. There is no spare bulb in the tail cap (look for some foam in the tail cap. If there is then you have the older model and the spare bulb is inside of the foam while a lack of the foam indicates that you have the newer one).

If you have the older version of this light then modifications are readily available to you. If you have the newer version then it gets complicated as the deep reflector prevents you from using most mods available for the older version. The body of the newer lights is slightly shorter than the older ones and the switch assembly has a shorter tower that the LED is placed on.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. :)

Good luck finding the Malkoff Devices drop in upgrade. That has not been in stock on the Malkoff website for quite some time.

adear11

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this light on 12/6. I believe I have the newer version as there is no spare bulb in the tail cap.

I've looked for the Malkoff Devices drop in, but as mentioned, it is not in stock.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased this light on 12/6. I believe I have the newer version as there is no spare bulb in the tail cap.

I've looked for the Malkoff Devices drop in, but as mentioned, it is not in stock.

The Malkoff Devices LED drop-in, along with all of the other Maglite drop-in LED bulbs, will not work in the latest generation LED Maglites like yours with the Rebel LED and no spare bulb in the tail cap. All of the drop-in LED upgrades on the market currently will only work with the incandescent Maglites and the first generation LED Maglites that have Luxeon bulbs. Simply put, if your Maglite didn't originally come with a spare bulb in the tailcap, don't spend your money on a drop-in LED upgrade for it because none of them will fit properly.

Note that the first generation Luxeon LED Maglites (what I have) came with a spare bulb in their tailcaps.

adear11

Newly Enlightened
that mod doesn't look too complicated, I think I might could tackle that. I've never done a mod before, but it looks like it could be fun.

where should I look to purchase the parts I would need?

lumenal

Enlightened

Are you sure you have the Rebel version? The 3D Rebel Mags I have, while not as bright as my Malkoffs, are extremely brighter than the Lux III versions.

If you take the head off the light and can unscrew the retaining ring around the LED module, you have an older version that will fit a Malkoff.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take the head off the light and can unscrew the retaining ring around the LED module, you have an older version that will fit a Malkoff.

Also, if your Maglite originally came with a spare bulb in the tailcap, you have the older version with the Luxeon III LED that can accept a Malkoff Devices drop-in upgrade...if you can find one for sale.

adear11

Newly Enlightened
Also, if your Maglite originally came with a spare bulb in the tailcap, you have the older version with the Luxeon III LED that can accept a Malkoff Devices drop-in upgrade...if you can find one for sale.

I've checked both of these things, and based on them I have the new Rebel version not the older one.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the parts to do the mod mentioned earlier?

Ray Tseng

Newly Enlightened
Set your budget first.
If you've budgeting in the range of $65+ on a light engine upgrade, it makes no sense to constrain yourself down to reuse your existing flashlight body that costs 1/3rd as much.
If you are doing this, your perspective should be you're building around the malkoff dropin and just get a $15 new mag body that's compatible.

Your original plan is like spending $3000 to put a completely new engine to put into your not so fast $1000 car because you want to reuse the tires. ($3000 total)

If you're planning on that much, you should think instead that you're going to build a new racecar around your expensive new $3000 engine.

Also consider, with a $3000 budget, would you rather just get a different car? and keep your existing $1000 car as-is as backup?

That being said,
I would suggest that the upgrade that makes sense relative to the cost of the light is to replace the lens and reflector, as those parts in my opinion are the ones that haze up and made me the most sad about my Mags.

Last edited:

adear11

Newly Enlightened
Set your budget first.
If you've budgeting in the range of $65+ on a light engine upgrade, it makes no sense to constrain yourself down to reuse your existing flashlight body that costs 1/3rd as much.
If you are doing this, your perspective should be you're building around the malkoff dropin and just get a $15 new mag body that's compatible.

Your original plan is like spending $3000 to put a completely new engine to put into your not so fast $1000 car because you want to reuse the tires. ($3000 total)

If you're planning on that much, you should think instead that you're going to build a new racecar around your expensive new $3000 engine.

Also consider, with a $3000 budget, would you rather just get a different car? and keep your existing $1000 car as-is as backup?

That being said,
I would suggest that the upgrade that makes sense relative to the cost of the light is to replace the lens and reflector, as those parts in my opinion are the ones that haze up and made me the most sad about my Mags.

This same thought had occurred me. However, from what I under stand the Malkoff dropin is hard to get. I've read here that it has been out of stock on his website for sometime.

You said you would recommend upgrading the reflector and lens. Could you offer any suggestions as to suitable upgrades? I could probably put my hands on an older Mag body that I could modify and just do the lens/reflector upgrade on the new LED light.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
That being said,

On a rebel mag, changing the reflector makes no sense at all -- there are no suitable replacements I know of, and if the light is fairly new and he never tries to clean the reflector by rubbing (at all, with anything) or harsh chemicals, it has quite a while before it "hazes up".

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a Rebel Mag, I don't think there's much left to be desired. Maybe a glass lens, but I prefer the plastic because it won't shatter if droppd.

Ray Tseng

Newly Enlightened
This same thought had occurred me. However, from what I under stand the Malkoff dropin is hard to get. I've read here that it has been out of stock on his website for sometime.

You said you would recommend upgrading the reflector and lens. Could you offer any suggestions as to suitable upgrades? I could probably put my hands on an older Mag body that I could modify and just do the lens/reflector upgrade on the new LED light.

view Gunner12's post or head over and browse/post in the homemade flashlight sub-section
Which MagLED do you have? When did you buy it?

Check this thread for Maglite mods and drop-ins.

:welcome: