New "High End" HID Flame Throwers..?

bulbmogul

Enlightened
First off not been around for awhile as we just returned from Sunny SriLanka the other day and now back in the doom and gloom of NW Ohio USA.. I been out of the loop for quite sometime and curious what is the newest latest and greatest HID's available now. I still have my Surefire Arc28C's plus my Surefire Hellfighter5 & Lemax LX70...

WOW the forum looks nice and awesome now with a complete face lift it appears..!

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
The FF5-GT is out now. My 4300K just shipped. The previous FF5 was quite magnificent IMHO

BVH

Flashaholic
Will be interesting to see if the lamp is of a more "standard" size with the higher power output quoted. The original lamps are fairly small.

sven_m

Newly Enlightened
ill be interesting to see if the lamp is of a more "standard" size with the higher power output quoted. The original lamps are fairly small.
Just stumbled over this older posting.

I guess the FF5GT has the typical automotive bulb (except envelope glass being removed as usual for the FFs): the electrode gap is about 4.2 mm, i.e. the well known 35W type (or 50W, but unfortunately the fat boy is history). I disassembled my light out of curiosity, here's a picture:

full.jpg

FF3 and FF4 in contrast came with a slightly smaller bulb. Interestingly enough it had a gap of about 3.8 mm. I haven't seen this size anywhere else, yet. Otherwise it's hardly distinguishable from the 4.2mm type. (The whole bulb actually appears a little bit smaller, if you look closely.)
Pictures from an FF3 and an FF4 bulb:

FF3%2040W%203.8mm.jpg

FF4%2040-65W%203.8mm.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
I've had the FF4 and FF5GT, both bought new from Neal. They experienced light use and both stopped working. I won't be getting another one of their lights

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just stumbled over this older posting.

I guess the FF5GT has the typical automotive bulb (except envelope glass being removed as usual for the FFs): the electrode gap is about 4.2 mm, i.e. the well known 35W type (or 50W, but unfortunately the fat boy is history). I disassembled my light out of curiosity, here's a picture:
We still have a large inventory of the "Fat Boy" Philips bulbs (new-old stock), the original Philips DL50. Also stock the newer and still being made DL50/740 as well.