New Imedion 2400mah LSD AA Batteries

adam83

Newly Enlightened
C-9000 Break-In results for first 4 Imedions
2282 - 50mAh improvement
2278 - 41mAh improvement
2278 - 50mAh improvement
2259 - 65mAh improvement

4 more awaiting their turn on the Maha...

adam83

Newly Enlightened
C-9000 Break-In results for first 4 Imedions
2282 - 50mAh improvement
2278 - 41mAh improvement
2278 - 50mAh improvement
2259 - 65mAh improvement

4 more awaiting their turn on the Maha...

Ding! Imedions are done!:) Break-In results for the last 4...
2267 - 53mAh improvement
2285 - 58mAh improvement
2277 - 61mAh improvement
2267 - 80mAh improvement

Im happy to see all cells exceed the minimum labeled capacity of 2250mAh, and their capacities seems pretty darn consistent. Only a 26mAh difference between the highest and lowest cell. :thumbsup:

After reading Sanyo's website, I learned something. (Also resulted in me ordering 8 eneloops too :whistle:) I knew that nominal capacity was determined using the IEC standard, but it goes on to say that the capacity the manufacturers print on the label is determined by a 1/20 C discharge (after a 1C charge and 3 hour rest).

Now I cant exactly replicate the procedure on the MaHa with the Imedions (I'll have to charge at 2000mA instead of 2400mA and discharge at 100mA instead of 120mA) but I am curious to see the results of this slooow discharge. I am hoping that the Imedions will exceed 2400mAh of course and see Peukert's law in action!

fishinfool

Enlightened
Those are great numbers Adam. I just ordered 2-8pks of Eneloop Tones from vestureofblood so as soon as I get them I will post some break-in numbers. :wave:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They are made in Taiwan. Here is a shot and some comparisons to a Duraloop and a ROV Platinum

img1873p.jpg

img1871uh.jpg

img1874n.jpg

img1875w.jpg

More testing to come! :popcorn:

These look like the same (physical) design as the rayovac hybrids (platinum), makes you wonder if they are just higher quality version of the chinese LSD cells (same chemistry, etc) If that is so, testing should have them acting closer to the rayovacs than the eneloops.

adam83

Newly Enlightened
So after reading Sanyo's site, I discharged an Imedion and a Duraloop at 100mA (as close to 1/20 C as I could get) to see how it would affect measured capacity. The Duraloop measured 1980mAh while the Imedion measured 2369mAh.:huh: Lookin good!

However I did notice that the Imedion's voltage under load was usually about .02v lower, but these cells are still fresh. Perhaps I should get a few more cycles under their belt and then some high current tests are in order :naughty:

Nil Einne

Newly Enlightened
Anyone has problems with the positive terminal/button top not making contact? I have some old Imedion (2100mAh) and they do have a problem with some devices. In particular with my PowerEx/Maha MH-C401FS you have to pull the battery out slightly for it to make contact in the far left (or is it right?) terminal. I think I read someone with a similar complaint

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some testing at 8-9 AMP draw vs. Eneloop?

I am running 4xEneloop with SST-90 & it pulls 8.3Amp,
can these cells perform better at that Amp?

thanks

Battery Guy

Enlightened
How about some testing at 8-9 AMP draw vs. Eneloop?

I am running 4xEneloop with SST-90 & it pulls 8.3Amp,
can these cells perform better at that Amp?

thanks

Well, I haven't got up to 8 amps yet, but here is a comparison of the Eneloop and Imedion 2400 at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 amps:

Eneloop-Imedion24001-5A.jpg

I guess you can extrapolate up to 8 amps. You might get a bit more runtime with the Imedion 2400 at 8.3 amps.

Quite frankly, when I did this test I was very surprised at how well the Imedion 2400s performed. I expected much more voltage sag, but overall the voltage response is quite similar to the Eneloops, but you get an extra 20% more capacity.

Of course, it remains to be seen if the Imedion 2400 cells have equivalent reliability and longevity as the Eneloops.

I will post the 6-10A curves when I finish the tests.

Cheers,
BG

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Anyone tested these for performance in the cold?

I thought my 2100mah ones were awesome until I took them out in 35F weather.

The performance of NiMH cells decreases with decreasing temperature because the conductivity of the electrolyte decreases. Essentially, the internal resistance of the cell increases as temperature decreases. Since all NiMH cells use essentially the same electrolyte, you should expect a similar decrease in the performance of the Imedion 2400 at low temperature that you see in the 2100 mAh version.

That being said, if you need better performance at low temperature, then try a high rate NiMH cell like the Elite 1700. The performance of that cell will still decrease as the temperature decreases, but since it starts out with a very low internal resistance at room temperature, it may significantly outperform the Imedion or Eneloop cells at very low temperatures.

Cheers,
BG

tandem

Enlightened
Anyone has problems with the positive terminal/button top not making contact?

I've not seen this but my Imedion 2400 AA cells are slightly larger in diameter than Eneloops/Duraloops or common off the shelf AA alkalines and can be somewhat snug in some devices.

Navin_R_Johnson

Newly Enlightened
The performance of NiMH cells decreases with decreasing temperature because the conductivity of the electrolyte decreases. Essentially, the internal resistance of the cell increases as temperature decreases. Since all NiMH cells use essentially the same electrolyte, you should expect a similar decrease in the performance of the Imedion 2400 at low temperature that you see in the 2100 mAh version.

That being said, if you need better performance at low temperature, then try a high rate NiMH cell like the Elite 1700. The performance of that cell will still decrease as the temperature decreases, but since it starts out with a very low internal resistance at room temperature, it may significantly outperform the Imedion or Eneloop cells at very low temperatures.

Cheers,
BG

I understand what you are saying. But, in my experience, the Imedions had a much higher increase in internal resistance with a drop in temperature than my other NIMH batteries. My Eneloops, and Radio Shack precharged performed just fine in the same temperature range ~35F. I know there is a limit when all of them will perform poorly. I was just curious if Powerex/Maha/Imedion (whatever the company is actually called) did something to improve performance in this regard.

Last edited:

N162E

Enlightened
Anyone has problems with the positive terminal/button top not making contact? I have some old Imedion (2100mAh) and they do have a problem with some devices. In particular with my PowerEx/Maha MH-C401FS you have to pull the battery out slightly for it to make contact in the far left (or is it right?) terminal. I think I read someone with a similar complaint
Yes, I had that happen with one oif my MH-C9000s. The fix was to take it (The charger) apart and add some solder blobs to the chargers' positive contacts.

duartix

Newly Enlightened
I've just received a batch of 16 o these new 2400mAh Imedions. Initial capacity goes very close to 1850mAh in the two sets I've discharged in order to run a break-in cycle.
Is this initial capacity normal? I won't have capacity numbers for a few days until the break-in finishes...

bbb74

Enlightened
I've just received a batch of 16 o these new 2400mAh Imedions. Initial capacity goes very close to 1850mAh in the two sets I've discharged in order to run a break-in cycle.
Is this initial capacity normal? I won't have capacity numbers for a few days until the break-in finishes...

Yep sounds normal. Mine varied from 1650-1900 on initial discharge. Final capacities will be around the 2200-2300 mark.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Why is everybody so positive about the capacity on these cells? I have yet to see one that actually reaches the claimed capacity, let alone go a bit over so it will keep withing spec after a bit of wear..... I just hate products that don't live up to the two or three specs they have.

However, am i right that these cells have roughly the same price-tag as the eneloops? In that case the 5~10% increase in capacity is just a nice little bonus (if they hold up after use like my eneloops that is) :hitit:

bbb74

Enlightened
Why is everybody so positive about the capacity on these cells? I have yet to see one that actually reaches the claimed capacity, let alone go a bit over so it will keep withing spec after a bit of wear..... I just hate products that don't live up to the two or three specs they have.

However, am i right that these cells have roughly the same price-tag as the eneloops? In that case the 5~10% increase in capacity is just a nice little bonus (if they hold up after use like my eneloops that is) :hitit:

Batteries that live up to their label are pretty rare :) The Imedion 2400's are usually around the 2300 mark which is lower than 2400 yes. But its still a pretty significant increase over eneloops (more like 15%).

I am also curious to see how they go with wear so I am tracking mine. After some use (20 cycles) (including repeated non-gentle use in a torch mounted on bike handlebars for commuting) mine are holding up fine so far. Need to go longer to really see though. But I'm thinking it will take quite some time to drop below eneloops, if they actually do that at all.

I have a packet of x1500 eneloops I'm comparing to the Imedions, will post some results in a few weeks. The eneloops do hold a very marginally higher voltage under load that's about all I can say so far, apart from them having much lower capacity. People who have tested Imedion self discharge rates have them close to or better than eneloops. I have seen multiple reports that the Eneloops are better under very high loads, which really only pertains to camera flashes that I can think of.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice tests Battery Guy.

Were your eneloop tests done with the white wrapper 1000 cycle cells, or were they done with the newer 1500 cycle colored wrapper cells?