new inova k series

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Renderings based on the existing low quality pictures? Either way, they show great detail. Thanks for posting those.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Brownstone! nice pic and details. The end of our waiting must be near :twothumbs

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Brownstone --

:twothumbs

But, hey, i'd really want a Yellow one !

Or perhaps Bright Orange.

Yeah, yeah, i realize they're Military flashlights.

:tinfoil:
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, MattK, while we're awaiting further Inova news . . . .

Tell us, please, if we can expect an upgrade to another

of our favorite flashlights -- the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

Will this fine flashlight finally get fitted with a "modern" emitter ?

( BTW, don't think of this as a "thread hijack". Simply a shout-out to MattK while he's on the line. )

:wave:
_

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, okay so Streamlight is pushing some nonsense called, "Controlled Collapse Chip Connection or "C4,"" so according to them all of their lights will have 'C4 LED's' which is basically brand agnostic allowing them to use Luxeons, SSC's and Cree's and call them C4's.

I'm sure their marketing department is very proud. I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. I'd ask - what emitter are you planning for the XXX and the answer was always 'C4'. :barf:

So, the bottom line is YES, I think ALL of their lights will eventually see an upgrade but it will happen more quickly with the higher end product than the lower end and I'd expect to see the K2 TFFC used widely because it's less expensive than the SSC/Cree options and they already have that relationship.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully they'll upgrade the TL3 led, cause the form factor is fantastic but it needs a K2 flipchip or a Seoul P4 led upgrade. I like the look of the new K line in black.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little too much military-industrial complex for my taste, but we will see come May 24.

The Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran models. Oh brother.

Hopefully the new Bolts will balance things out. Maybe a C-cell powered bolt, like the Victorinox/Inova model.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Hopefully they'll upgrade the TL3 led, cause the form factor is fantastic but it needs a K2 flipchip or a Seoul P4 led upgrade. I like the look of the new K line in black.

I think they have. I know the TL2 has the "C4" led. I damaged my assembly on my old tl2 and asked if i could buy a new emitter assembly but the guy at customer service said to send it in. I told him that I damaged it so i dont think warranty would cover it, and he still said send it in. So i sent it in and they sent back a brand new TL2, however it didnt have the C4 led assembly..... So i guess they did provide service beyond the warranty which is good to know, but i didnt get the C4 upgrade that I was willing to pay for.....

Cydonia

Enlightened
Guess the multi color LED model is under wraps still. Those pictures above seem to show only the model with the single main LED. Wonder what the multi LED frankenstein monster will look like...

The "intuitive multi-function tail cap switch with dimming capability" is interesting. Just how dim can this light go? (Not dim enough, as usual, is my bet!):popcorn:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm gonna' take a wild-a$$ guess here,

and predict that the "dimming capability" means it also has a Low mode.

:whistle:

Oh, and Thank You to MattK for your info on Streamlight.

:thumbsup:

_

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem - I did order those whacky SuperTac salvation army bell style lights so they'll be in as soon as they release and of course we'll get the other revised lights as they become available.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ugh, okay so Streamlight is pushing some nonsense called, "Controlled Collapse Chip Connection or "C4,"" so according to them all of their lights will have 'C4 LED's' which is basically brand agnostic allowing them to use Luxeons, SSC's and Cree's and call them C4's.

I'm sure their marketing department is very proud. I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. I'd ask - what emitter are you planning for the XXX and the answer was always 'C4'. :barf:

I've always had a soft spot for Streamlight because they make quality lights that many LEOs count on, in their dangerous job.

But if Streamlight is going to pull this type of bull$#^%, I think I'll spend my hard-earned money elsewhere.

As far as Inova goes.... What is up with the use of those ridiculous, tiny, easy-to-strip Allen head screws on the clips?? I've waited a long time for an Inova with a clip. (Especially since the company doesn't provide decent holsters for their lights, even as sold-seperately items). And this is the best they can do?!

The best clip-carried lights that I own, use, and carry clipped to my pockets are any of my Surefires; and my 3watt, 2AA Rayovac Sportsman's Xtreme model. The Surefire clips speak for themselves. The clip on my Rayovac is a wrap-around model used by Nuwai. (The light itself is a rebadged Nuwai X-3 model. [Which is fine, since Nuwai knows how to make a good-quality light]). The clip, just like the one used on the new Inova models, is also skinny. Despite being the wrap-around variety, it is very sturdy. A good, tight fit on the body of the light. Never had a single issue with the clip when I used my Rayovac as my work light during my last job assignment.

If you're going to use Allen head screws, for Heaven's sakes use a larger Allen head screw so that the head won't strip the very first time you need to take the clip off. Or try to come up with a variation of the clip-mounting system used by Surefire, PentagonLights, or Nuwai's wrap-around clip.

What is up with the American flashlight companies lately?? Surefire seems to be the only one that isn't stumbling around like a re.... Like a mentally-challenged person. :ironic:

Last edited:

Brownstone

Enlightened
Ugh, okay so Streamlight is pushing some nonsense called, "Controlled Collapse Chip Connection or "C4,""

I don't get it. C4 isn't a Streamlight specific term, it is a standard term in the electronics industry for a specific electrical connection technology. C4 is also often known as "flip chip".

Given that Steamlight already referred to their Luxeon LEDs as "flip chip", all they seem to be doing is trading one term for another. Either way they are talking about the connection of the LED and not the emitter itself.

It is almost like if General Motors decided to start calling all their engines "Metric Bolt" technology.

Hmmm...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't get it. C4 isn't a Streamlight specific term, it is a standard term in the electronics industry for a specific electrical connection technology. C4 is also often known as "flip chip".

Given that Steamlight already referred to their Luxeon LEDs as "flip chip", all they seem to be doing is trading one term for another. Either way they are talking about the connection of the LED and not the emitter itself.

As Matt mentioned in an earlier post, if you ask them which emitter they plan on using in (insert model name here), they say the same thing.... C4.

That's where the problem comes in. They are refering to the actual emitter, and not the connection.

Brownstone

Enlightened
As Matt mentioned in an earlier post, if you ask them which emitter they plan on using in (insert model name here), they say the same thing.... C4.

Well, all I can say is this is stupid. I'm trying to imagine an equivalent conversation at a Chevy dealer.

Buyer: "Say, what size engine does this Corvette have?"
Salesman: "Metric Bolt."
Buyer: "No. I mean what is the displacement of the engine in this Corvette?"
Salesman: "Its a Metric Bolt engine".
Buyer: "Well, help me out here. How much bigger is the engine in this Corvette than the one in this Aveo?"
Salesman: "Chevrolet is proud to use Metric Bolt engines in all new models".

P.S. - I understand that the big light makers don't want to get into a pissing war over who has the latest greatest emitter, but at least they should give you a straight answer if you ask them.

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
lol nice comparison about the Chevy dealers that was solid.

So are those K series photos real press release photos, or just good renderings? Either way i really do like the way it looks! Any word on the size of the K series Inovas??

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
On the topic of Inova, How are the new Inova T4s? Our department might bring in some for testing against the pelican 7060 and the streamlight LED stinger(at only 80 lumens I hope not...)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - sorry this took so long!

The Inova K-series lights are a model being made primarily for the military though they will be available to consumers as well. The idea for the K-series is a light that can go from weapon to hand to belt so that war fighters only need 1 light - not 2.

The pictures shown in this thread are for real but it is likely that the ACU/DFB camo will make it to market as the finish is very difficult to control/match.

The K-series lights will offer 200L of output for 2 hours and features a multi-level, multi-mode control integrated into the tailcap. Final output levels/modes have not yet been determined but expect to see a tactical strobe setting and probably a memory feature. Low output will be very low I am told. IIRC they're like 6-7" long and the head is probably about 1.35" - this is just from memory though.
There will be a version with multiple LED's around the bezel offering different colors/wavelengths of emitters. Not yet final but expect something like R/G/B/IR

The prototypes had a K2 TFFC chip in them which may, or may not, make it to production. The design standard will remain 200L for 2 hours regardless of the final emitter choice.

Inova will be offering a picattiny/universal weapon mount for the K-series as well as a remote pressure switch. The railmount has a quick release for quick weapon/hand/weapon transitions. No holster will be included as the various military svcs already have compatible holsters. For the consumer you'll need to look to the aftermarket. The K-series will come in a sweet plastic case - I actually have a few of them.

It's expected that the first units will begin shipping in late June. K-series lights will not be available everywhere as they'll not be sold to distributors so only dealers who buy direct will be able to offer the K-series. Pricing is as yet TBD (I'm guesstimating in the 150-300 range). I can also tell you that there will be MAP pricing on the K-series.

Of course BatteryJunction.com will be offering them and will start a pre-order when appropriate.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Addressing some of the other recent posts in this thread:

Monocrom - I'm sure Inova will use quality hardware and that the allen heads will not be so easy to strip.

The Rayovac is not a rebadged Nuwai X-3. Nuwai is no more a manufacturer than Rayovac is. Those lights are actually MADE by Quantum - it's Quantum that, ' knows how to make a good-quality light.' :)

Brownstone - 'big light makers don't want to get into a pissing war over who has the latest greatest emitter.' Tony Catalano, the Prez at TerraLUX has a good way of putting this, ' with the rapid pace of change in the emitter industry it's best to be emitter agnostic so that you can choose whatever is best at any given time.'

eyeeatingfish - the T4's don't throw as far as the Pelicans do but they're also much slimmer, more elegant (not plastic light sabres) and offer strobe and multiple output settings. We sell all 3 of the lights your department is considering and I would take the Inova. You could wait for the 'C4' Stinger LED and compare to the Inova and 7060 to be more fair but the Stingers (and pretty much all SL's) have such small, stiff switches that even if the Stinger is brighter I think the large switch with great feel will still make the Inova the light to beat still.