new inova k series

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brownstone - 'big light makers don't want to get into a pissing war over who has the latest greatest emitter.' Tony Catalano, the Prez at TerraLUX has a good way of putting this, ' with the rapid pace of change in the emitter industry it's best to be emitter agnostic so that you can choose whatever is best at any given time.'

This makes sense from a larger marketing perspective. Arguing over emitter quality or over-flooding the market with emitter specific claims can only erode consumer confidence on the whole for all. Besides, they already have package numbers for this purpose, lumens and runtimes.

This is the same concept that exists in the wine industry. You'll notice one brand never knocks another or competes directly with them; that isn't what sells wine. In the US, wine competes with soft drinks, not other brands, for consumer dollars, so saying this wine has better attributes than that wine would just confuse consumers and erode the entire market for all.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Addressing some of the other recent posts in this thread:

Monocrom - I'm sure Inova will use quality hardware and that the allen heads will not be so easy to strip.

The Rayovac is not a rebadged Nuwai X-3. Nuwai is no more a manufacturer than Rayovac is. Those lights are actually MADE by Quantum - it's Quantum that, ' knows how to make a good-quality light.' :)

Thanks for clearing up the issue regarding Nuwai and Quantum.

As far as the hardware goes, the screws could be junk or the absolute best-made on the planet. When it comes to that size, the problem is the design itself. Larger Allen head screws have clearly defined lines and corners for a wrench to grab onto. When you get to the tiny versions of these screws, you've got little more than a circle. Even with a quality Allen wrench, you run the risk of stripping the nearly microscopic corners the first time you try getting the screws off.

I honestly have no clue why these tiny screws are so popular. (Heard a number of reasons. None good enough to off-set their main disadvantage).

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clearing up the issue regarding Nuwai and Quantum.
I honestly have no clue why these tiny screws are so popular. (Heard a number of reasons. None good enough to off-set their main disadvantage).

No probem - I like to 'shed light' on that sort of thing whenever I can. :)

I guess cause they look 'technical' and work better than a phillips head...

This makes sense from a larger marketing perspective. Arguing over emitter quality or over-flooding the market with emitter specific claims can only erode consumer confidence on the whole for all. Besides, they already have package numbers for this purpose, lumens and runtimes.

Exactly - sell the capabilities, not someone elses brand.

You in the wine biz Dave? You should come visit one day - we're less than 1hr away. :)

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK, do you have access to the low mode output/runtime of the T4 & T5? I guess Inova is a bit too busy to respond to inquiries.

Thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
{Allen head screws}

I guess cause they look 'technical' and work better than a phillips head...

My personal experience with phillips head screws has been the exact opposite. No matter how buggered up the heads are, I can still get the right-size screwdriver to grip the head.

I once owned three M.O.D. Tempest folding knives. ($200 each). Stripped the tiny Allen head screws used to hold the clips in place on two of them.... On my very first try. (I left the last one alone).

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
eyeeatingfish - the T4's don't throw as far as the Pelicans do but they're also much slimmer, more elegant (not plastic light sabres) and offer strobe and multiple output settings. We sell all 3 of the lights your department is considering and I would take the Inova. You could wait for the 'C4' Stinger LED and compare to the Inova and 7060 to be more fair but the Stingers (and pretty much all SL's) have such small, stiff switches that even if the Stinger is brighter I think the large switch with great feel will still make the Inova the light to beat still.

Thanks for the reply, can I add on two questions.

Any hint at whether the K series would take rechargeable batteries?
and
You said the 7060 throws farther? Im assuming this is because of their deep reflector? Since the inova is rated at 175 vs the pelican at 130 do you notice any beam advantages with the inova? Personally I like the shape better.
Any warranty issues with the 2008 T4s?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That multi-spectrum deal has me excited. Do you have any ideas as to the UI yet?

Tailcap twist to a position - sorta lika a gladius.

MattK, do you have access to the low mode output/runtime of the T4 & T5? I guess Inova is a bit too busy to respond to inquiries.

Thanks.

I don't they don't publish that - nor do any of the 'mainstream' mfrs for the most parts - that's stuff that CPF'ers figure out. :)

Thanks for the reply, can I add on two questions.
Any hint at whether the K series would take rechargeable batteries?
and
You said the 7060 throws farther? Im assuming this is because of their deep reflector? Since the inova is rated at 175 vs the pelican at 130 do you notice any beam advantages with the inova? Personally I like the shape better.
Any warranty issues with the 2008 T4s?

Not a clue WRT rechargeables.

I'll try to do a side by side today with those 2 lights to confirm. The '08 T4's have only been out 4-6 weeks so nothing yet...

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks MattK.

200L for 2 hours, is that really a 2 cell light?
Wow, if it is really the K2-tffc, then Inova is putting the best ones into the the K-series.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have news!:party:
While speaking to someone at Inova about the T4 as a new police department issue flashlight I couldnt help but ask about the K series. This person was a good employee and did not tell me more than they were supposed to and told me I could share what I was told.
-The K series isnt just one or two lights like in the photo. Its a whole line of lights with different battery battery configurations.
-Some of the K series lights will offer some sort of rechargeable option/feature. It sounded like this would include RCR123 capability.
-The K series isnt a replacement for the T series.
-This person told me that there was a patrol oriented flashlight that would be a bit better than the T4 and said they would send me one for testing when they are released.
-The K series is expecting to start sometime in June with some models becoming available in late summer.
-They related that the pricing is not going to be super expensive. Pricing is supposed to be less than the expensive surefire lights. So i dont think we can expect $300.00 inova lights.
-They assured me that what was comming in the new K series was going to blow CREE out of the water. I dont know if this is just inflated company claims or not but it got me excited. The person mentioned something about advancements in LED technology. The way they spoke sounded like there was some new LED we didnt know about yet. I mentioned the P7 but they said it wasn't the P7. I dont think it will be K2s driven real hard either.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting information there !

Thank you for sharing it, EyeEatingFish. :thumbsup:

Hard to believe, that there might actually BE an advancement
in LED technology which we CPF'ers aren't aware of. :)

But, who knows ? ? ?

These are certainly interesting times to be a Flashaholic !

:popcorn:
_

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I dont think they will have something that will blow cree out of the water. Maybe something that will make some waves though.
I have to admit, hearing that got me excited though.

Maybe they will use one of those stars with 3 rebel LEDs on it? Maybe Luxeon came out with something new and Inova bought all of it.

I know that I am going to wait on flashlight purchases till these things come out.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pass the popcorn please.

Quad-die Rebel 120. Turnkey 500 lumen flashlight for $250?