New Inova X1 55/6 lumen version?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I actually saw this the past weekend at the Target near where I worked. I picked it up for an unbelievably low price of 5 bucks. I only saw one left so I picked it up. So far I like it and it is brighter, cooler than the last single mode one I picked up, with both using fresh AA alkalines. To me the PWM is noticeable, so some of you will not like the 6 lumens mode. It doesn't bother me, however. For those in the NJ area, this was at the Edgewater Commons Mall.

Here's a picture, showing the reflector and LEDs.
The flashlight on the left with the orange peel reflector is the new one.

My 4th gen X1 looks different than either one in that picture. The reflector looks the same as the one on the left but I am pretty sure the led is different

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, no dice for me, all 3 targets here were still at 20 bucks, also, no new versions!! However I am even more confused now. The targets I went to had a mixture of some "2.0 watt" versions (which looked like the one i own and use at work, with the smooth brushed looking reflector) Then there were some that were labled as 25 lumens and have an Orange peel reflector in it. These seemed significantly brighter than the others, i turned it over and it has the nite ize name on back so I assume this is somewhat newer version, I just didnt know it even existed. I'm curious how this one actually compares to the one I own in a real test, in brightness and beam pattern.....and i still want a new 2 mode version dangit!!!

Like parnass stated the mixed selection of INOVA lights at B&M stores can be confusing.In your case I would wait for the new 2 mode version of the X1 or just order it online if you are in a hurry.Some of the older models of the X1 are worthwhile but they are a different animal than the 2 mode version so you really need to know what to look for when purchasing.This new version should be obvious for it's two modes,all the previous X1s are single mode.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
After comparing the CPF photos to what I see through a 10x loupe, I think you are correct. Good work, ZMZ67. :thumbsup:

Thanks! The XP-C made sense at this price point but I wasn't entirely sure just looking at the pictures.The XP-C probably helps keep the price down.I have no experience with that particular LED but the XR-C seemed to work well enough in the lights I tried.I'm still interested as this light seems to be a winner at it's price point!

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and bought the "version 4" 25 lumen one, i liked the better light output and runtime of it enough, seems like it will make a great light to keep in the center console of my truck, bright enough to look around in a dark car or in the engine bay and nice and small, I already have a dorcy 1 mode light thats brighter that I keep in the door pocket, but 1 is none and 2 is 1 right? . I will still buy the new 2 mode version when i see one as an EDC light, i prefer them to have at least 2 modes and be pretty bright. As if I need another EDC !!! God this hobby costs me too much money!!!

Last edited:

flashnight

Newly Enlightened
Just picked the new 2 mode X1 up at Target yesterday. I figured I could always return it if I didn't like it? I already had the V4 X1 and was very happy but must say this one seems better still!! It does seem 2X as bright as V4 and the tint on mine is amazing. Its much warmer than the older 25 lumen model I have. Like the fact that its always in high mode to start, no mode memory. the low mode is very usefull as well. Didn't notice any of the flickering on low mode that someone mentioned. I used a higher 1.8V nizn battery and seemed to work with no issues. Would imagine a higher voltage lithium would work fine as well? In all for less than $20 I can't believe I can this kind of output in a small package, especially from a local brick and morter store. Im excited to see how the big brother X2 2 mode will be when I can find one. Cause at the same store they only had the very outdated X02's on the rack.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a higher 1.8V nizn battery and seemed to work with no issues.

I really like my new X1. Same at the Target I went to. They had the new X1's, but all the other Inova models were older ones. If you are using the same NiZn batteries I am(which are the only brand I know that exists), they are 1.6v as pictured below.....not 1.8v.

Dsc02146.jpg

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your comments, flashnight. The new 55/6 lumen Inova X1 is an excellent value. I've been EDC'ing it since it arrived.

The occasional problem on the low setting still occurs when using an Energizer E2 lithium battery, although not nearly as often as before.

Too bad that the Target stores in this area still stock the old, single brightness versions of all the Inova lights.

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I really wish the targets around here would get on the ball and get some new versions in. On a side note, I am both happy and disapointed with the V4 X1 i bought. After doing some testing and comparing, I have several other lights that are very similar in output. In honesty I think it outdoes its 25 lumen rating but that may just be me. I am somewhat unhappy with the tint, it is just almost TOO blue for me, its not blue like cheapy led blue , just not as nice and white or neutral which I actually prefer. It has a very tight hotspot, with some really great throw ability to it for such a small light with a low lumen rating, but this is where i actually dont like it because I do not need this light to throw, I have other lights to do that, i need it for more close up work, in which that hotspot burns your eyes. So I am not sure what I really want to do with it now, keep it sell it, take it back in the new version box when i get one? lol maybe it would make a nice light to live in the bottom of my wifes purse, she presently has a junkie ebay cheapy 1 AA light i gave her, so this would be a nice upgrade. Chances are it will never get used.....i want a new 2 mode after readign the reviews here even more!!!!

Flashnight------may I ask what part of the country your in, jsut curious if its a regional thing where the new lights are coming in. I'm in Illilois near STL. At the targets here, 1 of them has nothign but the V3 2.0 watt, another has a mixter of V3's and V4's on the hook, and yet another has all V4's. These are all within about 3 or 4 miles of eachother!!

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
swtws6, perhaps placing a piece of diffusion film or Scotch tape on the glass lens of your 25 lumen X1 would smooth the hot spot into the spill zone and make it more suitable for close up work. That doesn't address your problem with the cold tint, but might make it more fun to use until you can locate a 55/6 lumen X1.

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
Yeah ive read about doing that, never tried it before. I suppose if I really NEEDED the light I would do this, but I have many lights, and this was a buy just to try, dumb me dumped the packaging in the trash though thinking i wouldnt be needing it bfore really giving it a thurough testing. Like i said it'll either make a good backup to throw somewhere or I'll keep it nice and new lokin and throw it back in the package of the new version when i find one and take it back!! Gotta love B&M strores right?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah ive read about doing that, never tried it before. I suppose if I really NEEDED the light I would do this, but I have many lights, and this was a buy just to try, dumb me dumped the packaging in the trash though thinking i wouldnt be needing it bfore really giving it a thurough testing. Like i said it'll either make a good backup to throw somewhere or I'll keep it nice and new lokin and throw it back in the package of the new version when i find one and take it back!! Gotta love B&M strores right?

:ironic: Then the next person who buys the light gets burnt and INOVA likely gets blamed for the failure.I can only condemn that kind of dishonesty.:thumbsdow

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have a Icon Link and the new Inova X1?

I have both lights. The Icon Link uses a TIR optic to focus the light tightly and the Inova X1 uses an orange peel reflector so the distribution of light is different.

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.
would you carry both lights since they are different?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.
would you carry both lights since they are different?

I'm not sure if you mean carry them at the same time or interchangeably.

I am in the habit of carrying one 1AA or 1CR123A EDC light and one or two 1AAA backup lights. Therefore, I wouldn't carry the Icon Link and Inova X1 at the same time, though I would carry either one depending on the other gear I had in my pockets.

They both emit about the same amount of light, but the X1 takes up considerably less pocket space and is more comfortable to hold. The Icon Link has several sharp edges which irritate the palm.

The X1's brighter spill makes it a better light for closer range or indoor usage while still throwing well outdoors.

litlmh

Newly Enlightened
I just stopped by Target and picked up one of these new 55/6 lumen models. Compared it against the last generation model (the 25 lumen version) and the new one is significantly brighter when white-wall hunting :crackup:. I like the straightforward 2-mode operation with no blinking modes, and like some others have expressed, I am glad that Inova is moving towards the use of newer, more efficient LEDs.

jaegerhund

Newly Enlightened
I'm not quite sure of forum etiquette when referencing retailers, but BrightGuy has these in stock now.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me like a flashoholic would be better off with a Xeno E03. No PWM, Low and Med about the same brightness with better runtimes and a much brighter Max if you need it. Granted it is 50% more money, but the extra $10 might be worth it. Mind you under $20 is always nice for giveaway lights but I can't get past the PWM, which I hate with a passion.