New LD01 low output?

Hans

Enlightened
Hans, you missed several stages of the L0P/L0D history.

L0P - 1 stage Lux 1
L0P-SE - Three stage Lux 3 (1?)
L0D - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Lux 3
L0D-CE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E P4
L0D-CE SE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q2
L0D-CE Q4 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q4
L0D Rb80 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 80
L0D Rb100 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 100

You're right, I forgot about the original LOD and the Rebel-models. Just checked to see what I've got: LOP, LOP SE, LOD-CE, LOD-CE Q4, and now the latest version of the LD01. The LOD-CE has been my main EDC for several years - fairly good runtimes and, importantly, a slightly lower low than the LOD-CE Q4.

The most amazing thing is that over the years I gave a few LOD's away as presents, and so far *all* the lights work just fine. My own LOD-CE has been through the washing machine a couple of times and been dropped on numerous occasions. It also spent several weeks in the garden last winter until I found it. No problem at all. It sure doesn't look nice anymore, but it works.

I'm really wondering whether the new AAA lights that hit the market in the past year or so will be anywhere near as tough as the LOD. I'm not really convinced myself, and I reckon I'll stick to the LOD/LD01 for the time being now that it finally has a lower low.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard SixM! Don't apologize for the pictures, they are far better than any I have ever taken.

As for the emitters, yes they are different. The older LD01 uses a Cree XR-E while the newer one uses an XP-E. Nice to hear that low output has been reduced. Folks here have been asking for that to happen for a long time.

Maybe a dumb question and sorry for going off topic, but what is the reasoning they used the letters XP-R before XP-E? Logically, you would think alphabetically the XP-R would come after the XP-E or XP-G.

So going from oldest to newest it is XP-R, then XP-E, now XP-G. What is the story to this naming scheme?

chibato

Newly Enlightened
I really liked the new reflector on the LD01 Q5 (vs. LOD) it seemed to give it more throw. The LD01 R2 appears to have much more of an OP reflector, so I am assuming the XRE Q5's might out throw the XPE/G R2 version, correct?

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If I'm carrying LOD or LD01 I am also carrying one or two other lights.

Absolute throw is no big thing. A useful close range beam is!

I hope I can get LD01 (if the PWM is fast) and then my LOD CE Q4 might just be up for sale/trade.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
If I'm carrying LOD or LD01 I am also carrying one or two other lights.

Absolute throw is no big thing. A useful close range beam is!

I hope I can get LD01 (if the PWM is fast) and then my LOD CE Q4 might just be up for sale/trade.

I can't give you any numbers, but I can just mention what is stated in their ad.... that they've improved the PWM over the LOD series.
I can also hear a whine on low and medium when near my ear but it's very slight, it has to be really close. It also seems to be a bit more noticeable with the 10440 vs Alkaline.
The PWM is nowhere near as low as the Maratac/ITP series AAA lights, much faster.

Hans.....Thanks for the input on the durability of you're lights, it makes me feel better about my decision to keep this one for my EDC light. Which means some very nice, small, other AAA lights that I have, will have to be put away.

kts

Enlightened
The PWM on my SS LD01 is so fast even on low, that it cant be seen unless you shine it on a fan.

I can easy see the PWM on my L0D Q4, but its not a problem for me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

I usually try to wait & see instead of posting these kinds of queries, but does anybody know about if/when we might see the LD01 with the XP-G emitter? I did a 'search' but didn't come across anything except emitter mods and posts calling the current 'XP-E' model an XP-G by mistake.

:candle:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I wonder if you could swap the boards between them so I could give my LD01SS a lower low, that is if I could get it open without a jackhammer.
This is what I am willing to pay someone to do for me on a couple L0D's and SS LD01's. Is there anyone out there who is even capable of this swap?

kwarwick

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade an SS LD01 by swapping in the the internals from a new LD01? I'd really like the lower low and higher efficiency of the XP-E.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Based on the beamshots in that link I posted, there is something else that makes the new LD01 look like an appealing purchase to me. Compared to the other lights in that review, in the medium mode the new LD01 looks like it is brighter and illuminates a larger surface area.

Also, the new LD01 appears to be slightly warmer than the iTP, illuminati, and Preon

Latest posts