New LD01 low output?

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received a new Fenix LD01 lately?
I just received a new one with an IlluminaTi and an ITP AAA last week, and noticed the output on low was practically the same for all three.
I got out two new energizers and put them in the new LD01 and my SS LD01 and there is quite a bit of difference on the low level.
I'm glad to see this lower low, it's quite a nice bonus on my new Fenix. Maybe with the flood of all the new AAA lights out now, they felt the need to get a bit more inline with the current crop of lights, then again maybe it's a fluke.
I'm just curious if others are seeing the same.
Are these emitters different or is it just different reflectors? Sorry for the poor pics.

New LD01 right.
IMG_1831.jpg

New LD01.
IMG_1841.jpg

Flic

Enlightened
Welcome aboard SixM! Don't apologize for the pictures, they are far better than any I have ever taken.

As for the emitters, yes they are different. The older LD01 uses a Cree XR-E while the newer one uses an XP-E. Nice to hear that low output has been reduced. Folks here have been asking for that to happen for a long time.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
The two beam profiles on the LD01s are pretty much identical to my eye, big difference in the output though. I'm guessing half as much.
Cool by me. :thumbsup:
Comparing to the IlluminaTi the new LD01 has a tighter, less floody, hotspot.

Thanks for the welcome Flic.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, the one in your picture is an XP-E.

The XP-Gs have four yellow bars in the emitter (like the one below), whereas the XP-E has only three.

10_xpg_closeup.jpg

Cree XP-G

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, I've always liked the LD01/L0D so I'm glad to see they have switched to XP-E and have lowered the low mode (finally!).

I wonder how hard it would be to neutralize this one...

;)

SixM

Newly Enlightened
How is the PWMed low?

Appears to be the same as the SS LD01, it's definitely a higher frequency than an ITP A3 EOS SS.
This was determined by holding out at arms length and waving the lights back and forth, I don't notice it otherwise, but that's me. YMMV :)

Hans

Enlightened
Has anyone received a new Fenix LD01 lately?
I just received a new one with an IlluminaTi and an ITP AAA last week, and noticed the output on low was practically the same for all three.

Same here. I really like these small AAA lights, and I've got quite a few of them, among them several LODs/LD01s. The new version with the XP-E emitter has got a lower low than all the other variations of the LOD I've got, including the first version with the P4 emitter. My example is even lower than the ITP AAA I've got.

Could still be a bit lower IMO, but it's a step in the right direction ... :D

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Good to see a confirmation here, thanks for the info. ;)

Hans

Enlightened
My first L0D has a Luxeon III. Crees came in much later...

I know ... :D Got one of those as well. 1 stage, Lux III emitter, fairly short runtime.

But wasn't it called LOP rather than LOD?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think you are right, Hans. I had one of those L0P SE's. Traded it away a couple years ago. It's about time Fenix got with the program and lowered the low.

Geoff

Flic

Enlightened
I know ... :D Got one of those as well. 1 stage, Lux III emitter, fairly short runtime.

But wasn't it called LOP rather than LOD?

Hans, you missed several stages of the L0P/L0D history.

L0P - 1 stage Lux 1
L0P-SE - Three stage Lux 3 (1?)
L0D - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Lux 3
L0D-CE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E P4
L0D-CE SE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q2
L0D-CE Q4 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q4
L0D Rb80 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 80
L0D Rb100 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 100

Not counting the Christmas Editions. This is one of the most varied models ever made. And thwe LD01 continues the tradition (Q5, SS, XP-E R2...). Add the various finishes and you have a nightmare for collectors!

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
I got a Lux 3 L0D..3 levels + strobe and SOS, mine was that years Xmas special model, it has snowflakes engraved.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if you could swap the boards between them so I could give my LD01SS a lower low, that is if I could get it open without a jackhammer.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Hans, you missed several stages of the L0P/L0D history.

L0P - 1 stage Lux 1
L0P-SE - Three stage Lux 3 (1?)
L0D - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Lux 3
L0D-CE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E P4
L0D-CE SE - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q2
L0D-CE Q4 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Cree XR-E Q4
L0D Rb80 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 80
L0D Rb100 - Three stage plus SOS and Strobe Rebel 100

Not counting the Christmas Editions. This is one of the most varied models ever made. And thwe LD01 continues the tradition (Q5, SS, XP-E R2...). Add the various finishes and you have a nightmare for collectors!

This, among other reasons shows what great lights these are, the new setting is icing on the cake for me.
I like my SS LD01 so much that I ordered this new LD01. I would dearly miss it if I lost or damaged it on the job, so I'm keeping it safe.
The new one with a 10440 in it, is my pocket workhorse now. It can just about do it all.