New LED flashlight at Wal-mart

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey, would one of you please post a part number for those LED $11.56 brinkmann lights so that the rest of us whose walmart doesnt have them in stock can stock them. Thank you very much.
signed,
-Person who is jealous because your walmart has them and i want one damnnit !!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

p.s. please post pics of this light too please (the last pic that was posted was hard to see)

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Well the Brinkman's finally arrived at my local Wal-Mart and its about time.
(BRINKMAN L.E.D. FLASHLIGHT model# 8099-1050-0, UPC 3995350646).
I'm really impressed with a "true" bonafide flashlight company's first effort on a mass-produced LED flashlight.
It has a nice look, it feels good in your hand, and the beam is pretty impressive.
With the low cost, it may become that cool little stocking stuffer for friends and family come Christmas.
With the obvious amount of assembly required for this light, it makes you wonder just what a Chinese Photon would cost (less than 5 bucks I bet).

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by K Horn on 11-04-2000 at 04:48 PM</font>

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, there is a lot of stuff in it. I put in some nearly dead batts. and it was still bright-almost like a variable step up circuit of some sort. I also tried some lithiums and it was not much brighter. This may be a great circuit. I just wish the beam was wider and smoother. Of course I also wish the unit was smaller. One way or another I must feel this is a step in the right direction. It is very interesting to find this sold in a local discount store. If their sales do well this could open the door for competition at a higher level and bring about rapid improvements in LEDs as well as lower prices in general. I am sorry YZINGERR but I threw out the card the light came on. There are no model numbers on the light that I can see. It just says "long life led light". I would think your Wal-Mart will get them in this week, I know the wait for a new toy is hard. I ordered one of the new mini treks from CCrane but asked them to send me one with the PLW-3 inserts instead of the two LED setup. I hope I did the right thing. I wanted the larger area of light but not if it is much dimmer.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 11-04-2000 at 06:33 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carl McNair:
Just stopped in and bought a couple .
IT FLOATS , light-up ( I flushed the test site first ). My first post , be gentle .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with this test site isn't the most obvious one (sanitation) - it's that with smaller test specimens, it is possible to accidentally flush them. And everyone knows what happens when an object the size of a flashlight (such as when a hairbrush or a flashlight) gets flushed down the toilet - you have to get a plumber to come over and break it into pieces with the toilet snake and then you're out a flashlight!

Personally, I prefer the good 'ol rusty coffee can or my 128oz. novelty Bud bottle for small flashlight tests; a tub, sink, or large pail for big lights.
wink.gif

That said though, I did have a Turtlelite fall in the toilet, and it floated around the bowl just fine.
The Turtlelite II floats, as does the Quantum 2000 (though just barely) and even the Bonfire - but that light fills up quickly and goes glug, glug, glug all the way to the bottom if you don't rescue it within seconds.
All those Bonfire lights on the bottom of Lake Titticaca can't be wrong.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Finally !!!! I was driving my truck about an hour away from my house when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a Wal-Mart on the side of the road. I thought to myself "should i stop??",hmmmmmm.... YES!!! And so I did. I went in and was bummed when I saw that the space provided for the $11.56 LED brinkmann light was empty. I frantically looked around, and behold there was a light!!! I quickly scooped up that last brinkmann LED light off of the floor (even if it did fall, LEDs are almost unbreakable) and hurried to the nearest check stand. Before i reached the door out of walmart, i had the package torn open like a child at christmas. I quickly put the batteries in and turned the light on....WOW, i'm impressed!! For all of you who posted a reply to how good this light is for the price, you were right!! The push button on the end does make this light seem very tactical, but i like it!!! The body is a little big, and the light is a weird color (purple?) but overall i think that this light is well worth the money. The output of the light is very impressive, and it would make a good light source for night endeavors. And yes, the beam of the light is really weird too, but nobody is perfect. I think this light is practical, affordable, and cool. I give it a 7 on my light scale !!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Our spies have been busy. We have several reports which will help us decode the internals of this mysterious light.

The details are still coming in but the initial information shows:

In Circuit LED alone
1st light 1v @ 13 Ma 2.8v @ 4 Ma
Brite Lite 2v @ 53 ma 3.2v @ 25 ma
Full Brightness 3v @103 ma 3.6v @ 20ma

This is interesting and disturbing. The efficiency goes from 86% to 74% to 24% -- indicating very little regulation and very limited current capacity. The circuit is deceptively simple, and if you look at the circuit board pics, you'll see what appears to be empty positions on the PC board. This also means that my original estimates are probably WAY off... the battery life will still be finite, but there is an exponential aspect to the current usage

Speaking of which, some of the pictures that have come in are mounted and ready for viewing:

First Component Side graphic

I will include another post with the other URLs... the system, or my FTP program is suddenly having fits...

------------------
If you know what's good for YOU, vote Libertarian.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Looking at the photos of the Eveready Arc White, I am impressed. With that mini fluorescent on the side, I had to find one online as there is no Wal Mart within reasonable driving distance from my home, the nearest one being approx 40 mi away. I live in the NYC metro area so go figure! So for those of you interested, the only place online that I could find was www.costco.com, which sells it bundled with the Eveready 4AA aluminum double barrel light for 22 bucks for the bundle. Eveready's (aka energizer.com) site doesn't yet offer e-commerce, but the had full spec's on the Arc White, that the fluorescent is indeed a CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp). These are rated at 20,000 hrs life and are the same technology used in flatbed scanners. I have experimented with CCFLs from digikey.com, relatively inexpensive and pretty bright for their size.

Regards
Ed

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my lightwave 2000 light in the mail today and compared it to the walmart brinkmann LED light. Here are my results : the lightwave 2000 light has four white LED bulbs and takes three AA batteries while the walmart light takes one AA battery and has one LED light. The lightwave 2000 light is bright with little or no distortion in the light beam, where the walmart light has a "circle target" type beam. The plus to the walmart light is that it can send a light beam farther than the lightwave 2000 light. The down fall to the walmart light is that the "peripheral" beam is almost nill. The light wave light is the best one for use during night hiking, but the walmart light is best used for seeing down hallways at night. The weight is about the same, the walmart light is much wider where as the lightwave 2000 light is longer. The price is a big difference too; walmart light $11.56 plus tax, lightwave 2000 light $25.00 plus tax. Overall, i like the lightwave light better, because it presents more of a night hiking all purpose light, but the walmart light is awesome for seeing long distances at night. Both are definently cool !!!!!!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my lightwave 2000 light in the mail today and compared it to the walmart brinkmann LED light. Here are my results : the lightwave 2000 light has four white LED bulbs and takes three AA batteries while the walmart light takes one AA battery and has one LED light. The lightwave 2000 light is bright with little or no distortion in the light beam, where the walmart light has a "circle target" type beam. The plus to the walmart light is that it can send a light beam farther than the lightwave 2000 light. The down fall to the walmart light is that the "peripheral" beam is almost nill. The light wave light is the best one for use during night hiking, but the walmart light is best used for seeing down hallways at night. The weight is about the same, the walmart light is much wider where as the lightwave 2000 light is longer. The price is a big difference too; walmart light $11.56 plus tax, lightwave 2000 light $25.00 plus tax. Overall, i like the lightwave light better, because it presents more of a night hiking all purpose light, but the walmart light is awesome for seeing long distances at night. Both are definently cool !!!!!!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The rest of the Brinkman pictures are up. I'll try to crop and shrink the file sizes and maybe to thumbnails when I get a chance, but for now, you can see a generic page w/ links to the individual pictures. Let us know what you think.

Marc Visconte

--
A worried libertarian, hoping that BUSH takes the presidency...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks very much for the photos Marcus.
smile.gif

Any chance you can also post photo of Brinkman's beam of light compared to other LED flashlights?

I'm still looking where to find a Wal-Mart store in NYC to get one of this led light.

------------------
2d_edge

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Brinkman LED flashlight at Walmart to day and I am VERY impressed. This may just be the perfect flashlight for getting the general public interested in LED. As many have mentioned, the beam is narrow. Since that is what most people expect from a flashlight, the Brinkman will meet their expectations and be successful.

It is MUCH brighter than my PAL Gold, and the PAL's beam is even narrower. My Pilot Three has a more practical beam for walking at night (especially for remaining visible to cars) but is near useless for shining on distant objects. The Pilot and the Brinkman represent different ends of the function spectrum in LED flashlights. A broad even light vs. a high intensity narrow beam.

The one improvement I'd like to see on the Brinkman is a more even side beam (if that's the right term). The light rings are so distinct it looks like a bullseye target.

The switch is a little hard, but I won't worry about it turning on accidentally in a bag or pack.

For under $12 you cannot go wrong with this light!!!

Peace - RonM
PS - This is my first post on the forum. I currently own: PAL Gold, Brinkmen LED, Pilot Three, Infinity and Bonfire Tent Light

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi folks,

An update to the flashlight page... the original experimenter sent in comparison shots of the illumination.... http://users.new-quest.net/sui-juris/led/flash.htm

Ron -- comment on the CMG Infinity, please... the shot that was sent shows it to be a LOT brighter than I thought.

As for improvements and other thoughts...
The switch is too stiff for me to easily turn on (repetative thumb stress?) but still has that "silent signal" "feature" which would let it possibly turn on if pressed against. I doubt that would happen as the rim/ridge around the switch would make it harder to do.

Improvements? OK, the voltage conversion circuit is not the tops (grin). What I REALLY like to see is a replay of the cct in the Infinity. The way I (mis-?) understand it, the cct in the Infinity is a simple voltage doubler... 1.5 v in gives 3 v out... not really enough to bias the LED "full-on". Of course, I don't have one, and hence, can't take it apart and try to get voltage and current readings. Voltage across the LED would be enough for semi-intellgent guessing. I REALLY like the idea of a single cell LED light... I keep my PAL w/ me all the time (temporarily replaced by the Ergo model -- too bulky, so you know how the Brinkman would be) and would love something smaller, without sacrificing much brightness.

Oh, something few folks have discussed (that I've seen)... take the "top" (with lense and reflector) off the PAL, and you've got a right nice room light (dim, but enough to light a whole room). ;-)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marcus on 11-10-2000 at 10:20 PM</font>

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marcus - Regarding the Infinity...In the flashlight comparison photo, the Infinity does appear brighter than I think it really is, based on my experience. The Inifinity is good for what it's full name states, Inifinity Task Light. Jobs like hooking something up behind the computer. etc. Good for jobs like that because of its even broad lighting. It's also OK for getting around the house at night, when your eyes have already adjusted to darkenss. If other light is already present, the Infinity's beam is sometimes hardly noticeable.

If you're looking for a small bright light to always have on you, why not consider Photon II.

Good comment on using the PAL in "candle mode" by removing the upper part of the case with the lens housing. Another good trick it to reverse the lens, creating a slightly broader beam without rings.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup, I agree Ron. I didn't mean to say the PAL was as bright as the Brinkman, just that how the two throw light is very similar. I think this light would make a great kitchen drawer flashlight replacement. It would also make a good backup flashlight because of it's run time. You know I haven't done a burn time on this light, has anyone timed how long the batteries last yet? it was pulling about 100 mA so that should be about 30 hours, way better than a 2 AA mag in a long power outage.
smile.gif

Brock

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock - You are right. The PAL Gold does throw a beam equal, and perhaps brighter, than the Binkmann. A new 9V was the key. The one I had in it before was down to 6.1V. (see my other thread)

Regards.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

what does the pal light look like? Can you post pic and specs of it please !! thanks..