New LED flashlight at Wal-mart

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The biggest thing about the Brinkman for me is the fact that it uses commonly available (and CHEAP) batteries. I can get AAs anywhere and can get them for 42 cents or less. From an electrical design standpoint, the design is definitely not the best... the efficiency is very low, less than 35%.
Oh, and someone sent me some great info on what's going on inside, just haven't been able to post it yet. Seems that the efficiency goes up as the load (or maybe just battery voltage) goes down, but that also means that as the AAs get aged, they may not be able to drive the LED at all (or maybe put it into the "glow mode") so the effective life will be shorter than we thought. Still, it's an ingenious design w/out using higher order semiconductor devices and inductors. Inductors take space for the size needed for the designs that I've studied. Lots of space, based on the inductors that are specified. But those circuits would deliver 3.6 v at up to half an amp from any supply from 1.6v on to to 6v+. Those circuits would provide efficiency on the order of 85%. Big difference. However, they'd have to be custom built (beyond the capabilities that I've got) and that's way much work just to get a super efficient LED flash that runs on two AAs. I also saw a cct that looks like it would provide 3.6v out from a single AA, down to .7v, but again, the inductor sizes that I calculate are much larger than the circuit, LED, and probably the battery. ;-)

The idiots in Florida have just recommended that there be a TOTAL MANUAL RECOUNT for all of Florida... including the manual examination of individual punch areas to see if there are signs of INTENTION of votes. I am dumb-founded by the stupidity these people are exhibiting. I can't post any more about LEDs, I need to get a transquilizer.

------------------
If you know what's good for YOU, vote Libertarian.

Brock

Flashaholic
Well I still haven't had time to take a bunch of images of the light output of the Brinkman yet. On that note, does anyone know how to tile, or put a bunch of 180x120 images in to 1 larger image. I use Paintshop Pro and do it by hand which takes a while, and then I have to make a new image each time I add a light.

Anyway, I like the Brinkman, but it is to large compared to other light in its class. It is the second largest LED light I own. I suppose this might be due to keeping the $ down. I think it will open the market for other LED lights, but I hope they don't follow the lead of Brinkman. I would carry the Trek 7 before I even thought of the Brinkman. Since the Brinkman and PAL are very close in brightness, I would take the PAL without even thinking about it. I guess it comes down to the light being to large for what it does.

Don't get me wrong, I am really glad I bought it and I am really glad it is on the market. I guess I can't think of a place I wouldn't choose a different light before I choose this one.

The best part is the price, and it is commonly available. It is a good light for the $ and I think it has a place in the market.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points Brock.

The appeal I see in the Brinkmann is in traditional flashlight replacement. You know, the 2 D-cell flashlight that everyone has in the kitchen drawer, in the nightstand or wherever. The one you grab when a fuse blows or there's a blackout or you heard a noise outside in the night. The Brinkmann performs sililarly to these and is a fraction the cost of most other LED flashlights.

It's definitely not the light that you keep on you all the time. Far to large for that.

Unless my PAL Gold is substandard, I would disagree on saying it is almost as bright as the Brinkmann. The center beam on the Brinkmann is both brighter and has a larger area at equal distances than the PAL. But like you, the PAL is what's in my jacket pocket when I leave the house and I think there's a chance I may need a flashlight that night.

Peace - RonM

D

**DONOTDELETE**

A 'CAGE MATCH ' will get us the guy who belongs in office .

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For comparison:

Well, I picked one up this weekend (Brinkman that is).

Kind of dissapointed. The light was maybe only 2/3rds as bright as my PAL Gold (everyone else sure they have new batteries on their comparisons?).

Also, the spectrum on mine has a very strong blue component, as if it were a cheaper quality white LED. Maybe I have a bum LED in it.

Anyway, it is still a very cool light for $12 but as others have said, I will choose several other lights first before I pick this one up.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi folks,

Couple of thoughts and data...

Carl McNair has been really great to sacrifice a Brinkman to provide the neat pictures... he also talked w/ me about his Infinity. I will post his Brinkman data (voltage/current data, etc.) and I'll also post his Infinity data. RSN. ;-)

Thought: I was standing in the checkout line and saw that someone had left a dead CR 223 (6v lithium "photo") battery on the counter. That made me think back at trying to find a cheap source for CR 123's (same in 3v) for a digital camera. What I wound up doing was to buy the 223 and cutting the case off to expose the TWO 123's inside. The Brinkman is a 3v flash... so, if you're willing to do some cut/splice work, you can have a MUCH smaller 3v light. Now... the 123/223 data:
1400 mAh rating. Not great, compared to an AA: 1.5v @ 2850 mAh, but in this case, it's a size/wt benefit to cost trade off. Just a thought. Oh, I just got a email notice for NOT the 6v, but for two 3v's. All my scheming for cheap 3v's gone to waste. Their price? $3.95 (and shipping, of course) -- anybody who needs lithiums for flashlights might was to check them out. http://www.botachtactical.com/sanyo.html

Oh, and LAST thought... better than a cage match... a duel! Only Gore's equipment must be equipped with a trigger lock good enough to keep 5 year olds from defeating it. Oh, and a "smart" would also be advised... Bush, on the other hand, can just use a plain ol' piece.

Just a thought, mind you...

------------------

Size15's

Flashaholic
You lot read the Constitution lately?
Found out who's due to be President if no-one's sworn-in in January?

From what I can gather, The Longest Serving Congressman - I heard a 98 year old pro racial segregation/public hanging etc. Been in since 1956 or something! Really great guy I heard.

I almost want he to get in, just to see how he changes the US of A. Can't do much worse can he?

Re-Vote the Whole Country.
One Person - One vote.
Two names.
The one with the most votes wins.

Simple.

"Democracy" is 300 million odd voters electing a tiny "college" easily bribed to vote however they want "on behalf of the people".
I'll never understand!
rolleyes.gif

Alastair

D

**DONOTDELETE**

With all due respect, Alastair...
(w/ respect to my friends in this forum, I am editing this message to remove the off-topic info.)
http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=548&FS=Calhoun+Foresaw+This

Now, that was all fun and good, but let's get back to the REALLY important stuff...

If it's true that the simple, single LED in the Brinkman is ONLY being biased at 3.6v at appx 20 mA, then that's a heck of a lot of light in ONE LED (well, WITH a lens system). Makes me wonder that throwing a lens on a Trek 7 or a Lightwave 2000 would do -- but then, I'm not SURE of the bias, nor sure of the bias of the T7 or LW2k.

While we're at it, I would love to see a modification of the front end to include an adjustable (er, focusable) lens cage. There ya go... wide? Ya gots wide... pin point? Er, well you can try. The same as it currently is designed? Well, maybe 1/2 a twist in-between both extremes...

I can dream, right?

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marcus on 11-17-2000 at 08:39 AM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hey it was only what I'd heard.
The guy studies International Politics at University. Maybe he was having a laugh?

Of course there should be more than two names. Any American Born who wants the job should be on the list. That's fair isn't it. Then one person, one vote. That's also fair isn't it? Otherwise some people's votes are worth more than others. I thought large-scale logistics was what the USA was good at! (I must stop being sarcastic)

I have never been taught about American History. Other than we lost some war over there. That's why you celebrate it! So I suppose we don't like to talk about it. I have also been told that you lot were a couple years late. What's life worth anyway? No big deal.

In the UK, we have no written Constitution, and our voting systems are just as bad as yours it seems. The last thing you want is the people deciding! They as you quite rightly say only know what they are told. If you tell someone loud enough, for long enough, they'll believe anything.

Okay, I was attempting to use some of the infamous British humour. Sarcasm. I'm not rasist. Too many people have died. I'm not religious. Even more people have died. I have respect for thoses who are different as long as they are good people (or try to be) and they have respect from others (society), the environment and themselves.

There are two ways of getting the death penalty in the UK. 1)High Treason (against the Monarch), 2)Piracy in Territorial Waters,
3)By loosing to Germany in the World Cup Final (Soccer. Not matter what anyone else says. Soccer is "the" World Cup. Not tiddley-winks, not nothing else!!
grin.gif

(I was just kidding about No.3)

So are you saying that the longest serving congressman will not be President if one isn't sworn-in? If not, who will be? Willian will continue until...?

Sorry to get you upset. It was meant to be light hearted! It's not a big deal. It's not as if the US is one of the most powerful countries on the planet! (there goes the sarcasm again...
rolleyes.gif
)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 11-15-2000 at 01:45 AM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Come on folks. I keep dropping lists and the like because the list subjects keep diverting from what they were set up for.

I thought there was more interesting stuff on the Brinkmann but it turned into a page of political diatribe.

Can we get back to LED's?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Presidential election has turned into a circus. Maddening to Americans and amusing to non-Americans. But this is a flashlight forum.

I have opened two new forums here, Chit Chat and 3rd Rail, for open topic discussion and political/religious/social discussion. If you want to join an established political forum geared towards politics rather than flashlights I own another forum for politics and help moderate on another one. If those don't suit your needs I can also recommend others, left or right leaning.

http://rushlimbaugh.org

http://www.unitedconservatives.com

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think Marcus will especially appreciate the remarks of Ronin at http://www.tedsplace.com/discus/
(click on political messages)
those of you interested in paintball guns-contests will find Ronin to be also quite an authority in this area...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'll stick with Flashlights!

I heard that SureFire are putting two very very bright white LEDs on their next weaponlights. Sounds really cool. They call 'em navigational aids or something. The prototypes were blue, but they'll be white in production. Something about not blinding yourself & team with the full beams when working on doors etc... up close.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have also heard Surefire was working on a LED replacement lamp for the 6v line. I think it only had 1 LED though. Either way that would be really nice.

As far as the political stuff goes, guys, please move that to the political area here on this board.

Thanks

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
As far as the political stuff goes, guys, please move that to the political area here on this board.
Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted and noted. I apologize to the group. Sorry to digress. Oh, and Size15s -- sorry about the rambling... old habit. Cheers!

I've seen ads in a couple of parts catalogs for a 7000 mcd white LED, but don't know of anyone who is making said beast... are these misfits?

Also, anybody have any links for the Surefire? I'm not sure what it is/ what y'all 'r talking about, so I'm "in the dark" here.

My Brinkman is still my current infatuation, although I'm seriously tempted to go the way of Carl and commit grave and greavous bodily surgery on it to see if I can hack it into a smaller package. At it's over-all costs, I think it would be a fine trade off, even if it doesn't survive my ministrations. I still want to trace the circuit out and dig out my old circuit books and see what I can rig up to give either better range or efficiency. It's the tinkerer in me.

Also, for anyone who is similarly bitten, you can find some good (and cheap) chips which do DC-DC step-up, -down, -up/down (SEPIC), and -sideways voltage conversions -- usually at fairly high efficiencies. The main benefit being -- if you just have a (series) voltage regulator, you're wasting the difference 'tween the supply voltage and LED bais voltage (times the current) in heat. The best efficiency will come via two inter-related aspects: conversion efficiency, and voltage match.
If you can find a circuit which will convert 3 v to 3.6v, or 4.5 v to 3.6v, then you're golden. My personal preference is the step-up scenario, as that type of converter is set up in the right direction. W/ a step-down or a VR, at some point the supply voltage will pass the bais voltage (and it doesn't take much) and then the circuit type is all wrong. Nat Semi has some interesting circuits, but none that have worked out "just right" for the step-up.
Look at http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2622.html
Works down to 2v (ok, two AAs down to 1v each, or 3 AAs down to .667 v each... ) w/ 1.6 A output. 90% efficiency. Whew!
A better one: http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2621.html
Min Vin is 1.2v -- 0.6 v per AA... that is max depletion. 87% efficiency. My calcs show that to be 71 hours at full brightness for 2 AAs.
BUT! I haven't found the circuit which will let me run the whole shootin' match off on ONE 1.5v Battery. I know it's out there (think about the pagers which run on AAA cells), just haven't found it.
My dream? A 40 hour Infinity replacement which runs a full brightness. (Dream...)

------------------

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are some early prototype photos on SureFire Flashlight God Paul Kim's website: http://www.PK-Engineering.com

The LEDs in the photos are blue, but he tells me that the actually ones will be super bright white ones.

LED replacement Lamp Modules for the 6V SureFires would be really cool. I may have also read that somewhere before or it may have been a suggestion. Let's hope SureFire are finding time to work on it!

Al.
(Have you lot noticed I have a tendency to go on a bit too?)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 11-19-2000 at 07:01 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marcus:

I've seen ads in a couple of parts catalogs for a 7000 mcd white LED, but don't know of anyone who is making said beast... are these misfits?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've probably discovered the Hosfelt 10mm white LED.
The mcd rating is botched because the LED has a very narrow main beam. In general, narrowing the LED's light beam gives higher mcd numbers to tout in your catalogue.

I have tried this LED, and was somewhat disappointed with it. Produces a narrow, distinctly blue central "eye" with a whitish corona surrounding that.

I am still looking for a source for this Brinkman flashlight that seems to be all the rage. Despite living smack in the center of Seattle's retail district, there isn't a Wall Mart anywhere that I can get to (the nearest is dozens and dozens of miles away, it isn't on a bus line, and I don't have a car), and none of the other places I've tried (Fred Meyer, Rite-Aid, Bartell, City People's Market, etc.) are carrying this flashlight yet. So I think it'll have to be up to a certain invidividual (who also frequents Candlepower) to loan me his for testing somewhere down the road.
wink.gif

I promise I won't test to see if it is flushable or not.
smile.gif

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

After reeding the first post I went out to our local walmart and started snooping around with one goal in mind... Find that LED flashlight.
After walking around for what seemed like hours I finally found the selection of flashlights. After scanning the wall for 5 minutes to no avail, I decided to ask the clerk.

Me: "Hey, do you guys have any LED flashlights made by Brinkman?"

Him: "What? LED Flashlight? Here are our flashlights (points to wall) if we have it, it will be there"

Me: "Okay, I did not see it over there, do you know if it is going to come in any time soon?"

Him: "We are a new wal-mart, we don't carry some things that other wal-marts do"

Me: "All righty Then" and left

So then a week later I go back and sure enough hanging on that same wall is the Brinkman Flashlight.

Moral of the Story:
People working at Wal-Mart don't know what they are getting, when they are getting it, or if they will ever get it. So go back later and look for yourself and ya might get lucky.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judson - You're right about store employees. It's not likely that keeping track of the latest in LED flashlights is high on their work priority list. They've got a million products to deal with.

But, you didn't answer the key question.
What do you think of the Brinkmann????