New LED flashlight at Wal-mart

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey folks,

Not quite totally on topic, but related...
I just ordered an eval board for a National Semi LM2621 (I'm pretty sure the part number is right). It should let me run 3.6v from 3v down to 1.2v, at 87% efficiency. If they send it w/ inductors already installed, then I hope to have it up very soon (read "almost immediately, after all my other chores are done").
I've also been reading up on dc-dc switching regulators... thinking this might be a neat way to float LEDs in the car for trips. No matter the voltage, I get 3.6v out. Wheee.
Hey, anybody know the practical effects of diff't bias on the white LEDs? 3.6v is easy to get, but what benefit do I get if I bias them at 4.0v?
Whew... 2 am, time for sleeeeep.
Hey! No politics in this message!

------------------
If you know what's good for YOU, vote Libertarian.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Heh, after all that searching at the Wally Mart
I decided not to dish out the money. So now I am stuck here with a proton II and a Lightwave 2000 (both are great).
Who knows, maybe next time I will have a change of heart and buy the Brinkman
smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I passed it up the first two time I saw it at Walmart. Then I noticed all the activity in this message thread and curiosity got the best of me, so I went there just for the light. Got the last one they had. At less then $12 I don't know why I just didn't get it on the first go by.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If I had a little more time/ patience/ sleep last night, I'd be very tempted to get the bid history and look up the email addresses and send EVERYbody a note that they can get the same flashlight at WM for $12 w/out shipping "flat rate anywhere in the USA for $3!"

PT would be very proud... especially because the guy is NICE enough to include two AA batteries if the auction price ends up over $25.

Argh... How can anybody be THAT rotten? Sigh.

------------------
If you know what's good for YOU, vote Libertarian.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was contacted by someone who works for Brinkman through email yesterday -- about the whitoe LED flash. I thought it was someone from these forums so I started in discussing stuff like he would have been aware of the stuff we talked about in this thread. After figuring out that he's not aware, I wrote him a short note and am going to send him another with the link to this discussion -- so we may get a new participant. ;-)

We shall see...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased this light yesterday. Very nice. Narrow beam, but not as narrow as the white photon. I happen to like the push button switch. I've gone to reach for a light too many times to see that somehow the switch was flipped "on" by accident and the batteries are dead.

Which leads me to this question. Can I swap the alkaline AA's for 2 Lithium type batteries for this light? I want to extend the shelf life of this light much longer than Alkaline will give me. I'm happy with the narrow beam and throw. I would use a different light to go searching in the woods.

Anyway, what's the best way to extend the shelf life? I don't need to worry about the bulb, but the batteries are another story!!!

thanks for any help.