New LED Party Light from Color Kinetics

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Color Kinetics has a fun new LED light out.
This one is portable (just a little larger than a chemical lightstick) and does all kinds of neat tricks with three colored LEDs.

It is called the Sauce LightWand, and I have posted some initial information at http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/sauce.htm
More info and pictures are to follow.

Ravers and clubbers will LOVE this light, plus is is bright enough to use to find your way back to your table or to an exit if the DJ blows all the club's fuses.
smile.gif

It is made by Color Kinetics, the same people who make the C-series digital RGB fixtures and other high-end LED fixtures. This light is also programmed with a number of different modes, all accessible from a single button.
One interesting point is that the whole thing runs from a single "AA" cell. It uses a red, pure green, and blue LED aimed up into a transluscent, milky wand to generate a multitude of different colors.

It comes on a regular retail card, so this is an indication that it might start showing up in stores before too long. Pricing isn't known, but if I had to *guess*, I'd say between $20 and $30.
Although it appears well-made, it would probably break if swung around on its lanyard (something a raver might be tempted to do) and hits something hard.

So, am I the first to try one of these, or did someone else here beat me to it?
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not so sure I would go with the photon, if for no other reason than batt.life, cost. Plus the flexibility sounds neat. But I would like it better if it stade on until I decided to turn it off. I have never heard of this light before. Might give the Raven a run for the money.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 12-21-2000 at 07:23 PM</font>

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Craig, I would like to know where or how you obtained yours. Do you have a inside connection with CK? Here is their reply to my inquiry:
Dear Ed:

Thank you very much for you email and interest in LightWand. We are in the
process of introducing the market to this new product, as well as, a
collection of what we believe is the "coolest color changing stuff." At this
time we are in process of developing strategic partnerships and alliances
with key retailers so we can bring this product to market. Unfortunately, it
doesn't look like they will be available for mass consumption until early
May. Therefore, we are unable to fill your request at this time.

However, I am curious as to how you heard about the product and the ck.sauce
website. If you have a free minute and wouldn't mind responding, I would
greatly appreciate it. Once again, thank you for your email and please feel
free to check our website for the continuing developments of Sauce.

Thanks and regards,
Brad

Brad Miller
Product Manager
Phone: 617.701.2321
[email protected]
www.colorkinetics.com
Corporate Address
10 Milk St. Suite 1100
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617.423.9999
Fax: 617.423.9998

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edwood:
Craig, I would like to know where or how you obtained yours. Do you have a inside connection with CK?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine just kind of popped up in the mail one day. The next day, another box showed up with another one in it. I think because of the scope of my website (it's become rather large and well-populated), and the fact I put one of their C-series fixtures to the test, someone at CK decided that these things also needed to be spanked, beaten, and punished before they actually appear in the retail market.

I won't divulge any names - not even initials - otherwise I might start getting not-so-pleasant mail from some pissed off people at CK.

When the do become available, I will post info as to availability and store locations.

------------------

Doug

Enlightened
Edwood,

I received, almost the exact same e-mail from Brad Miller, about this light, as I wrote them myself
smile.gif

Craig,

Did this guy, Brad Miller contact you trying to find out where you got this light from?

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Edwood,

I received, almost the exact same e-mail from Brad Miller, about this light, as I wrote them myself
smile.gif

Craig,

Did this guy, Brad Miller contact you trying to find out where you got this light from?

Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. I have a pretty good idea they KNOW I have these things. I've been in contact with at least four different people at Color Kinetics (almost entirely due to the presence of my website) - two of whom were involved with this Sauce light and at least two (not necessarily the same two either) who were involved in getting a sample in my hands for apparent beta testing.
None of these people was Brad.

I also updated my website shortly after this whole fiasco began, advising potential buyers that it isn't yet available and that the Sauce website flash animation thing is only intended as a preview, and not a venue from which to order the light from.

This act probably quelled any possible negative response from CK before they even realised I was the one responsible for "leaking".
smile.gif

I have since heard from someone at CK regarding other samples that were sent out on the East Coast, so the product is definitely still in development and they have a couple of glitches to iron out between now and May.

------------------

Latest posts