New LED technology being developed at Texas A&M directly produces white light

slebans

Enlightened
http://myelectronworld.wordpress.com/tag/texas-am-university/

Professor Yue Kuo of the Artie McFerrin Department of Chemical Engineering at Texas A&M University has fabricated a new type of LED, capable of producing a wide spectrum light while operating for long periods of time at atmospheric conditions. This device is based on a new concept of light emission from an ultra-thin amorphous dielectric layer.

videoman

Enlightened
That's great news, I hope it advances to being able to last at least 25K hours, 3 volt fV and 2000 lumens @ 3A.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone else had a direct from die white LED years ago but color quality and brightness of light were poor. I think I saw it on the LED Museum site. This could get interesting as the technology advances.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"We have discovered this phenomenon and studied this kind of LED for more than a year. It can be operated continuously for more than ten hours. A longer operation time is expected."

I don't understand.

Why would there be a time limit on the operation time?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Someone else had a direct from die white LED years ago but color quality and brightness of light were poor. I think I saw it on the LED Museum site. This could get interesting as the technology advances.

Was it a ZnSe LED? I recall hearing that those had spectrum that made the "angry blue" white Nichias of ~10 years ago seem pleasant.