New LEMAX LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Lemax LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

One very important question: how long does it take to reach full brightness?
Polarions are very fast because the overdrive the bulb during startup.

Well first lets clarify your overdriving statement.
All ballasts overdrive the bulb to some extent during the early stages of operation called warm up, before steady state is reached. So yours is really a question of relative overdrive intensity. Not a yes or no, but a “how much” question.
The overdriving in every case is tapered off, as steady state (warmed up) is approached.

I believe the Polarion uses a S.Korean made ballast but not sure who makes it. Chinese made aftermarket kit ballasts typically overdrive minimally causing them to take maybe 30- 40 seconds or more in some cases, to reach full brightness. This is done by them because their ballasts are usually not robust enough to take “heavy” overdriving. Their cheap bulbs also can’t take it. They want to avoid pushing the cheaply made electronics too hard, causing premature failures. They also do it to avoid some Canbus (computer fault) issues in cars where they are converting Halogen to HID in an aftermarket conversion kit. They want the kits to draw less amps during the start up and warm up stages. The Chinese 35 watt claimed (rated) ballasts are more typically about 30 watts, not 35 true watts output like automotive factory OEM ballasts.
One more thing, typical OEM car ballasts also have very quick warmup (bulb overdrive) very close to what you have indicated, offered by Polarion. One word of note, these have all been ONLY 35 watt OEM systems (and~30 watt Chinese) not 40 watts, we are talking about in this initial paragraph. 40 watts and above (overdriving) is in "new territory", "uncharted waters".

Back to the direct specifics of your question, most of the Polarions in the field are 40watt not the 50 watt variant, I would guess more than 90% are 40 watt. I will continue my comments on the basis that we are primarily talking about the 40 watt Polarion as a basis of this continued response.
Since it appears that Dmitriyrus has both, PH40 and PH50 Polarion models, perhaps he would be so kind to comment of his perceptions, as to the relative difference of initial brightness. The comparison between the 2 models, at start-up.
My GUESS they are both about the same or a minimal difference. Until our 35/50 at 50 watts is close to being warmed up, then there will be a more noticeable ~10 watt ~1000 lumens difference.

We decided from the start to not abuse the bulbs excessively, hurting bulb life more than what is necessary, in what we perceived was an optimal compromise level.
Since we can initially start our lights in either the high or low mode. We knew we could use that to our advantage in this somewhat important “tactical” performance characteristic. When you want the brightest initial firing using our products, always use the higher power setting. Since our units offer 50 or 70 watts (2 models), for the high setting. Comparing a heavily overdriven 40 watt offering to 70 watts is no longer a “fair fight”. Our lights do take some seconds longer to fully warm up. A bulb life and lumens maintenance issue benefit.
With the 50/70 a comparison is not fair to a 40 watt light, because of my earlier comment of our ability for starting up at 70 watts, the high setting. When you are comparing it to the 40 or 50watt Polarion.
You can only push the bulbs so far. With our ability for starting at 70 watts you can’t use excessive overdriving, you would very quickly permanently damage any of these similar bulbs types, ours (Philips) or the Polarion (Osram) HID bulbs.

Our 35/50 would be a more fair comparison with the Polarion PH40 and 50 regarding initial brightness. They should be quite similar. Using our 50 watt setting , with about 1000 warmed up final lumens more from ours than the PH40 and similar lumens output to the PH50, with our advantage of the lower wattage (dual) setting when possible to extend battery run times, for both of our models.
Note: we also use significantly larger reflectors as well, on both of our lights. The larger unit about 25% larger diameter than our 35/50. But even our 35/50 has a large 80mm precision reflector. The 50/70 a 100 mm precision reflector, 25% diameter increase is a 50% increase in reflector surface area, in this case. The larger reflectors also enhance the “out the front” lumens.
With all these other factors included in the performance mix assessment, we believe the overdriving issue by itself, is no longer a performance comparison issue of real concern.

I would suspect the Polarion PH50 could still be very slightly brighter at startup, when we startup using our 50 watt (high) setting on the 35/50 model, or the 50 watt (low) setting on our 50/70 model. Not likely enough to make a tactical difference. Again Dmitriyrus can help us with this detail, to understand this PH50 vs. PH40 characteristic better.

Boy, that was a long winded response to an initially perceived “simple” question.
I believe I have given a complete and adequately technical analysis of this issue and question.
I believe for our lights, we have found the optimal reflector sizes, parabolic shape and optical efficiency characteristics, bulb types, ballast warm-up and operational functionality behaviors.

That your questions (comments), while they are very valid to be asked, have been fully answered here and will prove to be moot in the final analysis. Let the lights “speak” (illuminate) for themselves. The result of 50 years of combined HID systems engineering skill and experience within our final product development team.

Last edited:
XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

My LX50 reached full brightness as fast as a (Fibos ;)) Polarion PH50.

Well that's some confirmation from the field, good to hear.

XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the addition of a molded handle versus the flat metal handle of older versions.

Yes both models have it now, and it has a much nicer feel to the hand. Also not so cold in winter, holding a metal handle.

Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a 4S - 3P (2800 mAh cells?) 3.6 x 4 = 14.4V. 12 cells in total if my guess is right.

Oppss I meant 4s - 2p

Battery handle didn't look long enough for 3 parallel sets of batteries.

How many batteries inside battery carrier 8 or 12 ?

Dmitriyrus

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened

PH40 and PH50 Polarion models, perhaps he would be so kind to comment of his perceptions, as to the relative difference of initial brightness. The comparison between the 2 models, at start-up.
Regrettably, I literally yesterday sold PH40. Flashlight sent to another city.
I'm trying to find the money for the purchase XV-LX70.
But it's not easy :)

Lurveleven

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have a picture of the LX50 with shoulder strap, but the section on the LX50 where the front strap is connected doesn't appear on the LX70. How is the shoulder strap connected on the LX70? (I would like to see a picture).

XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have a picture of the LX50 with shoulder strap, but the section on the LX50 where the front strap is connected doesn't appear on the LX70. How is the shoulder strap connected on the LX70? (I would like to see a picture).
The strap used for the XV-LX70 is identical to the one used for the XV-LX50, the same for both, as shown in the photo (XV-LX50) you mentioned, provided on the webpage. The only difference in application of the strap on the 50 vs the 70, the XV-LX70 has fins in the area directly in front of the handle, while the XV-LX50 has a flat ring area there. The strap is used in an identical fashion on both models. For the XV-LX70 the strap goes over a couple of the fins. This is of no significance, since the fins as a whole system, are VERY well "over engineered" to dissipate the heat necessary for a long dependable unit life. In the future we will add a photo of the strap installed on the XV-LX70 to the website page.

B

bonbonbin_

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Xeray XV-LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

Cool, any nice photo?

H

hahoo

Enlightened

am i reading that price right ?
2500 bucks for this light ?

The_Driver

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

@XeRay: could you maybe take a picture of the XV-LX50 and XV-LX70 lights next to each other looking into the front of the lights? I would love to see both reflectors with more detail.

Last edited:
karlthev

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Supporter

am i reading that price right ?
2500 bucks for this light ?

Why yes....!....?

Karl

Last edited:
XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

@XeRay: could you maybe take a picture of the XV-LX50 and XV-LX70 lights next to each other looking into the front of the lights? I would love to see both reflectors with more detail.

I have a perfect photo for this, but I don't know how to add photos here. I would be glad to email it to someone, if they would post it here for me. Just send me your email address by PM. I will send the photo to insert. I will do this with a person who has been active on CPF for at least 2 years.

BVH

BVH

Flashaholic
Supporter

Here it is:

Last edited:
XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the help Bob, The Photo requested is directly above this post, Enjoy !!! I think the quality of reflections (me taking photos) pretty clearly demonstrate the reflector(s) precision and coating quality.

Last edited:
B

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

So...any estimates on a group buy price, assuming 20 people?? I have absolutely no idea how many people would be in it's quite expensive so probably nowhere close to the amount of people for FF4. Who in here would be a 'Yes' for a group buy? I myself am a maybe (again QUITE expensive)

The_Driver

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a perfect photo for this, but I don't know how to add photos here. I would be glad to email it to someone, if they would post it here for me. Just send me your email address by PM. I will send the photo to insert. I will do this with a person who has been active on CPF for at least 2 years.

Here it is:

Thanks for the help Bob, The Photo requested is directly above this post, Enjoy !!! I think the quality of reflections (me taking photos) pretty clearly demonstrate the reflector(s) precision and coating quality.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to take and upload this picture!

The difference between the two reflectors is very obvious.

XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

So...any estimates on a group buy price, assuming 20 people?? I have absolutely no idea how many people would be in it's quite expensive so probably nowhere close to the amount of people for PF40. Who in here would be a 'Yes' for a group buy? I myself am a maybe (again QUITE expensive)

Sorry no, we have not yet decided how the discount will be structured price wise. The steps will be, maybe 10/20/40/50/80/100. Anything less than 10 we may decide to terminate the GB. all of those issues will be determined in the next few weeks as we finalize our plans. The GB should be initiated either Oct 25th (most likely) or Nov 1st and run for 16 days, including 3 full weekends.

I guess you want to make this (ALSO) into a "feeler thread", that's fine with me as long at its fine with the moderators.