New LM631 lightmeter section added to my site

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

Just to let you know I have finally added my LM631 Lightmeter section to my review site.

I have listed out most of the torches on my site with a few exceptions. Let me know any special requests as there are probably quite a few combinations yet to be tested. I.E. all the VIP head / battery pack combos.

This is a first attempt and I would like any feedback / comments as to things that you would like to see or improvements.

Thanks

Mark

See it here :- Cones Stuff

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the lux comparison chart, it looks like Aleph 1 rulez with 27mm reflector. Are the LionHearts at the highest setting when the lux was measured? Even the BB500 with aleph1 throws furter than LH, that makes me think you've got a very good bin in your aleph.

Cones

Enlightened
Yes the Lionhearts were on full power.

I was surprised at the results.

I may have to ho a recharge / replace batteries check and
retest.

Thanks

Mark

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Is that the BBH that is yet to be released, or the Bulk Head widely disseminated?

Great project. Not enough data on special lights in one place for Lux. I've got 8 LHs now and perhaps I'll do a Lux test on them to see how much variance there is eliminating all the variable I can.

Thanks

bajaiman

Enlightened
Great comparison Cones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... I'm surprised your LH only makes 2200lux, Mine was at 4200 at one time although right now it can make 3800-3900 easy fresh of the charger... maybe my LM631 needs calibrating ....
Bogus1...8 LHs?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif ... is that including the 2 you've snapped from Charlie recently? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cones

Enlightened
Yes,

I am going to recharge and recheck these later this week.
I have got a proto Gladius to play with and measure. So a good time to add few more lights like the ORB and the Surefire L6.

Thanks
Mark

Cones

Enlightened
Updated with new (Fully charged) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif LionHeart readings.

Plus the all new Night-Ops Gladius Prototype. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

Mark

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to seeing the position of Orb on your chart Mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cones

Enlightened
Ahh.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Forgot that one tonight.

Will add it over the next few days.

I forget when it is hiding in its nice delivery tube! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
???[/n]
At SHOT we (me and Gladius demonstrator "Jeff" at their booth) compared LH vs. Gladius and the LH was clearly brighter, just to our naked eyes...causing jeff to turn the Gladius off immediately and change the subject...Hmmm...was not a "ringer" LH either, it was the one I was on my way to deliver to Henry of HDS at his booth.

You may have to send yours back, Cones!

Cones

Enlightened
Mr Bulk thanks for the comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am looking forward to playing with / testing the LionCubs.

Plus the ST if it lights up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I just got my production Gladius TODAY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I took a few other readings at the same time! Like you do.

LionHeart 040 CPF Edition 2420 @ 1M
Lionheart 061 2620 @ 1M

Right now this is going to shock a few people.

The prototype #00056 measured 2420 @ 1M in my original test
But I tested it again and this time got 2830 @ 1M

I am as puzzled as you are???

My new #00100 measures 2400 @ 1M

Looking at the beam pattern the prototype Gladius seems to have much tighter hotspot than the production version.

I am wondering if the reflectors have been changed? Or there is variance in the reflectors themselves?

I think the overall light output will be the same. I will try outside when it get dark and see if there is any major difference. I pesonally don't think there will be!

Colour is excellent. A fraction warmer than the proto.

All this is really interesting!

Anyone fancy lending me an integrating sphere to play with? LOL

Mark

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cones, I had the same problem you do. You need a heavy duty site host (which cost me just $5/month). You get alot more bandwidth that way. My free one was getting maxed out by 1/2 the time. Darn, I wanted to read that review of the LM631....

Cones

Enlightened
Yes, I am looking into web hosting as we speak!

Need lots of bandwidth for all those review pictures.

Thanks

Mark

Cones

Enlightened
Website now on a new Host! So should work a lot better than the old one.

Chart Updated with production Gladius.
Re-tested (Fully Recharged) LionHeart.
ORB CPF Edition.

Do you really want a LM631 review? I suppose I could take a few pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

Mark

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Cones said:
Mr Bulk thanks for the comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am looking forward to playing with / testing the LionCubs.

Plus the ST if it lights up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I just got my production Gladius TODAY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I took a few other readings at the same time! Like you do.

LionHeart 040 CPF Edition 2420 @ 1M
Lionheart 061 2620 @ 1M

Right now this is going to shock a few people.

The prototype #00056 measured 2420 @ 1M in my original test
But I tested it again and this time got 2830 @ 1M

I am as puzzled as you are???

My new #00100 measures 2400 @ 1M

Looking at the beam pattern the prototype Gladius seems to have much tighter hotspot than the production version.

I am wondering if the reflectors have been changed? Or there is variance in the reflectors themselves?

I think the overall light output will be the same. I will try outside when it get dark and see if there is any major difference. I pesonally don't think there will be!

Colour is excellent. A fraction warmer than the proto.

All this is really interesting!

Anyone fancy lending me an integrating sphere to play with? LOL

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fancy sending you a prototype as well (LED Museum got over 4,000 lux at 1M from a LionHeart proto I sent, the review is at http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/second/lionhart.htm ) but regular production models are the real way to go as far as offering your readers the true picture of what they might actually get.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
bajaiman said:
Great comparison Cones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... I'm surprised your LH only makes 2200lux, Mine was at 4200 at one time although right now it can make 3800-3900 easy fresh of the charger... maybe my LM631 needs calibrating ....
Bogus1...8 LHs?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif ... is that including the 2 you've snapped from Charlie recently? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very doubtful it is your light meter.

You should charge the cells up to a fresh charge and measure it again.

One thing to try is measuring the cell voltage right off the charger.

Since the LH is not regulated, as on the high output level, the LH is doing nothing but direct driving the LED off the battery, it's output is going drop as the voltage on the battery drops. You have to measure the output *immediately* after you turn it on, as the output drops quickly. It could be your charger isn't terminating the charge at the same level all the time.

Your cells could also be dropping from use, and the internal resistance is increasing with time, which causes a lower output voltage under load.

The other thing is if you've used your LH alot, the LED may be already degrading due to the overdrive and or heat. It only takes 20,000 hours at 1 Amp for the Luxeon output to drop to 50%. This is assuming the die junction temperature stays below 90C. With the LH drive of 1.2A off a fresh cell, you are basically looking at 5W into the Luxeon Star.
The thermal resistance of a star is 17C/W. 5W * 17 C/W is 85 degrees C rise in the die. Take the 90C die temp for 20k hours to 50% output, so 90-85 = 5 C . This means the LH body could not rise above 5C (41F), or well below room temperature, or the Luxeon would degrade much faster than the 20k hours spec.

In reality, luckily the LH doesn't sustain 1.2A, so things aren't quite this bad, but you are pushing things petty hard still.

This could be another reason for the degraded output, already.

To a person's eye, since your eye adapts quite well by design, a person would not notice this early degradation without a meter.

Plus a fella can always change out the Luxeon Star when the light output of the part drops, or when newer and better Luxeons make it to the market.

On the lifetime thing, a good place to look is at the Lighting Research Center.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/solidstate/ongoingProjects.asp?ID=57

From the charts there, you will notice how the life drops 60% quicker just from 15 degrees C difference. 100 more milliamps, even while holding the temperature the same, causes roughly a 25% faster degradation rate.

Interesting stuff....

cy

Flashaholic
waiting for mine to arrive from the group buy,

was wondering... anyone played with several LM631 Meterman's at the same time? measuring a regulated light source, like ARC4X.

trying to get a feel on how closely calibrated these meters actually are.

I've got three Fluke 87's and they all measure identically, when measuring output from a HP 6263 bench power supply.

leading me to believe outputs from Fluke 87 are pretty reliable. Do Meterman LM 631's deserve the same trust?

Latest posts