NEW Lupine Wilma TL ***NOW WITH OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS***

tonkem

Enlightened
Hello!

I have not tried how long i can run the light at full power, for examble when walking with the dog,
until it steps down.

But it gets not that hot, as you might think. I had no problems after 20mins on high. It will step down
in each level, when get over 70degree...

Ok, thanks for the information, as that makes me feel better that is can run for 20 mins on high(minimum) and not step down or get too hot. With this in mind, I would assume that the light would not step down on the lower brightnesses either, for a much longer period, if at all :)

Thanks again for your first hand confirmation :)

Tony

tonkem

Enlightened
Received this light today, and taken back by how small a light this really is. I got the charger one and wilma tl with handle bar mount so I can ride a night :) I will post comments once I get a chance to use outside at night. One note, while cycling thru the brightnesses, having it on high for less then a minute, the head began to heat up almost immediately. I will see how long I can run it at full power before it will step down. On another note, regarding programming, if you select the low start on, meaning it will power on, on the lowest brightness, one would think the next click would take you to the next higher brightness, ramping up to max, but it goes from lowest at power on, then to max and goes down in brightness from there. I will play with it a bit more to see if this behavior can be changed. I have attached a pic to show size difference between it and my sunway m40a light(which I thought was small for what it does). Wow :) I also added a pic of the wilma tl next to the Surefire e1L, single cr123 light. :)

web.jpg

web.jpg

Tony

Last edited:

anotherocduser

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to fight off the urge to pick this up. Haha. I have a Betty II (22 degree model), Wilma TL and a Piko in a shopping cart ready to pull the trigger. A little over the top for sure.
I have the Betty, the Wilma and I'm just waiting for the Piko..:naughty:
You will not regret it. Are you getting them from gretnabikes? ask for Bill. Shoot me a PM if you want more info
PS: I'm not associated in a monetary way to them; just think they have the best product with the best service!
Cheers

tonkem

Enlightened
I took the wilma tl out last night for a walk and just seeing what it could do, compared to my Sunway M40A. I have owned many different kinds of lights, including a Polarion ph40, and this one for it's size has no equal that I know of. The wilma tl is not a thrower by any stretch, but the light is extremely useful for what I use lights for. The Sunway light puts out a concentrated beam that throws decent considering it has a mc-e emitter, but the spill on the sunway is dim compared to the hotspot. This little wilma tl puts out a massive beam that has a very very good spill of the beam. The way the light spreads out, especially within 30-50 feet, is awesome. It just lights up everything in front of you. I shined the sunway at my house on medium(which is about 150 lumen) and turned on the wilma on low and the difference was amazing. I am glad I took the plunge to get this little light, that can double as a bike light when I ride at night. I used to use a flea light for my bike and had to deal with average brightness, but no more :)

The only negative I have found is I cannot reach all modes on one setting. for instance, if you want to use the 2.5w setting(230 lumens), then you have to choose one of the flashing mode settings, or the 2 step high setting. The 4 step setting only does 17w, 9w, 5w, and .5w, leaving out the 2.5w setting. The 2.5w setting is very bright, and runs for 7 hours so could be a good setting vs the next step up to 5w is 3.5 hours run time at 440 lumens, but the .5w setting is also very bright(too bright for use indoors, in my opinion) so I can live with it, as it is easy enough to change to the 2 step high setting to access the 2.5w setting if needed, on the fly :)

I am interested to see what the xml boards will do when they are released. If there is a good increase in output while also increasing runtime, I may have to consider. Last I heard from Lupine is October release, but no official release dates have been given.

Thanks Toby for giving the beam shots, it really helped make the decision.

Tony

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am interested to see what the xml boards will do when they are released. If there is a good increase in output while also increasing runtime, I may have to consider. Last I heard from Lupine is October release, but no official release dates have been given.

Thanks Toby for giving the beam shots, it really helped make the decision.

Tony

I too am anxious to find out what the XM-L will do for this little monster. That is what has me holding out on moving forward with my purchase. Hopefully they wi leak some info soon so that I can stop waiting and make a solid decision. Lol

tonkem

Enlightened
Cue, you can always upgrade to the xml boards when they are released :) This is now my favorite light, for outdoor use. Love the flood and has decent throw for the amount of flood.

Tony

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^^^

That is true but it is my understanding that only the led boards are upgraded and the electronics stay the same. I wonder if the electronics and control will change when using the xm-l for efficiency and runtime. For example they should be able to run the xm-l at a lower current while at the same time still exceeding the current xp-g configuration. This will mean you will get much longer runtime before thermal control kicks on because the heat output would be reduced. You would get longer runtime in general and greater output.

I, of course, could be totally wrong in my thinking.

toby_pra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dont think that more output makes sense in such a little light...you cant defeat the heat
much more than know...this would be a light, without any use.

EnabLED

Newly Enlightened
The Wilma TL looks like a great light.

Maybe of interest: I have a USE "Exposure" line "MaXx D" model bicycle light that is similar-but-different, and if you unscrewed the mounting bracket it would have a similar form factor. Some notes: US$500 instead of the Wilma TL's US$600. USE lights seem to put out about 2/3 their rated output, so take all their numbers with salt. You can recharge the USE without disassembly, but the battery is not replaceable. It uses a plug-in cord, it would be nice to have a charge cradle. The USE is heavier -- about 320g -- and bigger, but has (I think) more battery capacity, with running times hi/med/lo of 3/10/24 hours. The USE has a battery indicator that indicates green to 50% capacity, yellow to 10% capacity, red below that -- I find it quite useful. I use it mainly as a bicycle light but it also makes a great flashlight for my needs. USE also sells the "Joystick MaXx" which is basically 1/4 the MaXx D, it is about 90g, probably 200-ish lumens (they say 300) and a smooth shape that packs or pockets nicely, about US$250. Lupine has a history of offering upgrade modules to "the latest and greatest" LEDs, USE seems to be always behind and no upgrade path. So they're not for everybody, but in some cases may be a good alternative. And if not, you can feel better about spending US$600 on the Wilma TL :)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^ You are correct on many points when it comes to the Exposure Lights Maxx-D. It does have much longer runtime than he Wilma TL. However the Maxx-D has no programmability. It is only high/med/low and then a hold at any "on" level to get to strobe. Hold longer to power off. It also has a pretty neat feature to be able to piggy back additional batteries off the back if the existing configuration for super extended runtimes or plug in a secondary light to it for singular control.... Turn on the Maxx-D and the other light comes on automatically as well. Perfect for when riding a bike. It has a 1200 lumen rating vs the Wilma at 1100. I like the fact that it gives you a color coded battery gauge when using the lightso you can always easily figure out how much juice is left. Switch is on the back of the light vs on the body like the Wilma TL. There is NO upgradeability of the light like the Wilma. The battery is also not removable and there not user serviceable.

It is a pretty sweet light for sure. I wouldnt mind owning one. However with all that said, I would still take the Wilma TL. :)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after reading this thread and watching the youtube vids over and over i caved on one and got it yesterday. This is my first Lupine and Wow this thing is small and bright!! Finish and construction are superb. I thought at first i would not get the UI but its easier than i thought. The battery indicators will take me some time to get down without referring to the manual. Now i am hook on Lupine.

toby_pra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it...its really small, smaller than you think, before holding in your hands.:)

I would wish, Lupine would add a lanyard hole or attachment to his flashlights.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah i wish it had a lanyard hole too. I wonder if i could find an eye screw small enough to fit in the screw hole meant for the bike mount, that or i was thinking of emailing Lupine to see if they had something.

EnabLED

Newly Enlightened
You are correct on many points when it comes to the Exposure Lights Maxx-D. It does have much longer runtime than he Wilma TL. ... It has a 1200 lumen rating vs the Wilma at 1100.

I have two USE lights and had a third. As far as I can tell, all are rated much higher lumens than they really are, I guess reality is about 2/3 of rated. Whereas Lupine has a reputation for doing what they say.

When I got my 2nd and 3rd USE lights I asked myself "Will I be happy with this light at 2/3 of what it is rated?" The answer was yes, but I would warn anybody looking at USE to consider this before buying.

In comparison against the Wilma TL, the Exposure MaXx-D is about 320g and probably true lumens about 800 for 3 hours, compared ot the Wilma TL at about 220g and 1100 for 1 hour

I like the fact that it gives you a color coded battery gauge when using the light so you can always easily figure out how much juice is left.

Yes, me too and I wish more makers would do something similar. It shows green to 50% battery, amber/orange to 25%, red to 5% and flashing red below that. I think estimating battery charge is difficult, so these are probably not exact, but certainly more than good enough for my needs. I can be "careless" at first and if it gets low before I have a chance to recharge I get more careful.

Another thing I forgot to mention, the USE lights all use the same charger and it is sized for the small lights, so it is rated 12 HOURS to recharge the MaXx-D.

Other points agreed -- I mentioned the MaXx-D just because it is in the same ballpark.

toby_pra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acnt believe, that you could use the MaxX-D with 800Lumens for 3 hours...

Me i also have a USE Spark, these falshlights have a very very good quality. At first these are
bike-lights, but the Wilma TL not. This is a flashlight.

EnabLED

Newly Enlightened
I acnt believe, that you could use the MaxX-D with 800Lumens for 3 hours...

I expect it uses 4x 18650 LiIon cells. If you believe 9 W-h/cell at 3h discharge rate (which I think is possible for good ones), that's 36 W-h or 12W over 3h. At 80% converter efficiency that's 10W to the LEDs. To get 800 lumens is 80 lm/W, which is plausible using nominal 110 lm/W LEDs driven at 2.5 W per LED and plausible optics.

No guarantees, of course, but in the range of possible. Their 1200 lm claim basically requires a time machine to bring current LEDs back a few years.

Note that an 18650 at one-hour discharge rate will lose more to internal resistance so provide less total power; and LED efficiency goes down as flux goes up. So getting 1100 lm for 1 hour from the Wilma TL is harder than simply watts times hours. The Wilma TL offers lower-power settings that should give higher LED and battery efficiencies, and the Wilma TL is much lighter than the MaXx-D, so I think it must have 3x 18650s instead of 4x in the MaXx-D.