New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Would this be any better or worse than using that acrylic diffusion lens from flashlightlens.com mentioned in this thread?
I value any knowledge which is result of my own experience but of course buying readily available item is cheaper.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Really? I figured it wouldn't really work at all without the reflective coating."

It works on the solitaire with no noticeable loss in lumens. No disrespect Fivemega, just throwing in my $0.02

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Which is the better option for removing the rings in flood, sputtering or an acrylic diffusion lens?

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the lens!
It’s awesome, you won’t be disappointed.

Just remember one side has the coating on it and put that on the inside, as to not scratch it up.

When I put it on mine I liked it so much I went back onto their webpage and bought three different sizes to go in some other lights, or at least to try, my only disappointment was I wanted to put one in a mini mag and the lens is a bit thicker than the original lens in the mini mag, I need to try to find a really thin reflector I guess.

I added two of them to a couple Malkoff LED Ma$s I have. A 3-D with XP-G2 and a 4-C with XM-L2. Makes them just all the better!

Last edited:

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Is it the Acrylite FF P-99 Acrylic Lens?

No light transmission numbers on the page, I wonder what the reduction is.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The site used to say 94% light transmission.
Whatever the number is it is at least as good as the stock Maglite lens. At 300 feet I did not see any reduction in output with my 3 cell ML25 using a TL3 bulb and acrylite lens versus using the stock lens.

jross20

Newly Enlightened
The site used to say 94% light transmission.
Whatever the number is it is at least as good as the stock Maglite lens. At 300 feet I did not see any reduction in output with my 3 cell ML25 using a TL3 bulb and acrylite lens versus using the stock lens.

I can absolutely say that the Acrylite FF P-99 is great. So far in all of my testing it's done nothing but improve the look of the beams, just adds a nice "blur" to smooth things out.

Also, side note... the final coat of sputtering I put on the ML25IT's reflector is drying and I will hopefully be able to test it soon. I've got to say that the ML25IT has become my favorite maglite, other than the big-ol-D. (gosh that sounds wrong out of context)
The throw, and spot, are just incredible for an incan. To me at least. The runtime is more than enough with NIMH cells, the form factor, size, weight, it's all fantastic. I actually bought a 2nd 3 cell to add to my collection, a nice red one.

Last side note... how did you guys get the TL3 bulb to fit? The legs aren't that long and are pretty stiff, I'm worried I will shatter the bulb when I try to push it in.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
8 month later answer:
If I recall correct I bent the pins on mine to take on a slight bow-legged appearance as an insurance against those short pins coming out.

Now on another note, if you are looking for a super-duper long running, fairly low output LED light one of those 5mm Yuji bi-pin units using 2 C cells will put out around 8 lumens for night after night after night. I haven't timed it with an ML25 but I ran a minimag for like 60 hours on old batteries before getting bored with it.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of a tl3 bulb, I'd suggest the tad customs 7212 bulb. Around the same wattage and brightness, and cheaper. Gives a great beam and fits perfectly as it was specifically designed for maglites. Only issue is the base is a little shorter than the mag bulb so it sits in deeper. Doesn't focus so you need to pull it out a couple mm. I used a dab of hot glue to hold it in place after I got the focus right

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I looked at mine this morning and the TL3 bulb was pushed in like a Maglite bulb would be.

If one is concerned with it popping out when dropped you can bend the pins just a bit away from each other.